Southern Food(s)

All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing

But, but.....:D

If you wait until they reveal their true selves, it's too late

Attachments

• evil squirrel.jpg
    evil squirrel.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 135
18, but I had a few of these before I ever set foot on the mainland let alone the south, including boiled peanuts and of course poke—though I guess you guys mean something different (which sounds awful).

I got 15 and I'm from Detroit! Add in the crawfish and catfish too please.

My dogs killed 2 of them bushy tailed tree rats this year, doin' the dog job, keepin' the back yard vermin free!

Despite my high southern food score, dinner tonight is Italian charcuterie, king crab legs, sauteed squash, a bottle of sancerre and a few fresh stawberries with whipped cream.

Last edited:
32 - I'm Northern Bred, but I've been living in the South for 25+ years. A Polish Grandmother could add a few to the list.:) When the discussions start here with friends and neighbors about weird things we've eaten they usually just leave me out because they don't want to hear about it. DW just says YUCK!:yuk:

I'm an adventurous eater, and have traveled to Asia , some of the "food" I've seen there even I couldn't eat.

I guess the Northern version of Poke salad (never had it, but would like to try it) would be Dandelion leaf salad. Grandma said "only use the new, young leaves since the older ones were bitter" It was all bitter to me, but you could hide the taste with enough onions and vinegar and salad oil. :LOL:

26 for me, and I grew up in NYC.

But Uncle Sam made sure I was thoroughly exposed to the South during my career.

One thing I'll never forget was my first exposure to grits.
I got breakfast at a Howard Johnson's restaurant before reporting for duty at the airbase (near Panama City, FL). Along with my bacon and eggs there was a glob of strange white stuff on the plate with a pat of butter melting into it.

I asked the waitress "What's that?", pointing at the glob.
She looked at me like I had three heads and said "Them's gree-yuts."
"What's gree-yuts?" I asked.
Her response has always been precious to me: "Never mind, just eat 'em. They's good for you."

I ate 'em.
Not that bad, really. And probably good for me.

Hey you guys!

Squirrels have their place.

I scored 14, but it's family influence -- one of my spouse's siblings settled in Louisiana. They hold annual crawfish boils.

Last edited:
6, I haven't heard of many of these things. I am born and raised in California.

I have had sweet tea by accident. I wasn't aware that ordering iced tea in Florida was already sweetened. I had to return it and order an 'unsweetened tea'.

Oh yeah! Sweet tea is really sweet, like soda or even more so.

20, family from the mid-west

20, originally from the south and lived in Cajun Country but I was young and we were city folk. I would not mind tasting a few of the other dishes assuming they do not contain squirrel, pig's feet, or organ meats.

Last edited:
I had 10, because some of the foods are indeed national.

Also, for those picking on squirrels, here is an article about how great they are: "There are a lot of weird squirrel stories floating around out there.

These nut-crazed little critters have been spotted canoodling car engines and casually snacking on discarded egg rolls. There’s little squirrels won’t sink their teeth into—and their taste for electrical wiring has infamously triggered citywide power outages. Squirrels have even sparked an international rivalry through the color of their fur alone: For years, five North American towns have been vying to be hailed as the “White Squirrel Capital of the World” (the title is supposedly held by Olney, Illinois).

But that shortlist of shenanigans is just the tip of the bushy-tailed iceberg. Here are six stupendous snippets of squirrel science to help you celebrate squirrels today and every day.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/artic...rgL7ymlK8VMmVQgkMAiwbU8ZX652dl_i611jEGtyn3iio

16 for this Connecticut Yankee, but I did live down South sometimes when I was young, and I've always been willing to try any kind of food at least once.

I had 10, because some of the foods are indeed national.

Also, for those picking on squirrels, here is an article about how great they are: "There are a lot of weird squirrel stories floating around out there.

These nut-crazed little critters have been spotted canoodling car engines and casually snacking on discarded egg rolls. There’s little squirrels won’t sink their teeth into—and their taste for electrical wiring has infamously triggered citywide power outages. Squirrels have even sparked an international rivalry through the color of their fur alone: For years, five North American towns have been vying to be hailed as the “White Squirrel Capital of the World” (the title is supposedly held by Olney, Illinois).

But that shortlist of shenanigans is just the tip of the bushy-tailed iceberg. Here are six stupendous snippets of squirrel science to help you celebrate squirrels today and every day.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/artic...rgL7ymlK8VMmVQgkMAiwbU8ZX652dl_i611jEGtyn3iio
Squirrels? We have these fuzzy headed Albert squirrels! I call them "Andy Rooney squirrels" because of their resemblance to Andy around the ears. One of these things was running around our fence in the early morning, with the sunlight distorting things it looked like a mad Tasmania Devil. Eat all you can.

Oh Yeah I had 20.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abert's_squirrel

If only there were some predator that would eat them, but all the owls and hawks and weasels and snakes in my neighborhood are slackers.

You would have loved a cat that one of my neighbors had at our previous house. At least weekly he'd bring home a squirrel either dead or (more or less) alive. I was witness to a capture once. As I was leaving for work, when I shut the front door a squirrel in the front yard next door was startled and looked over at me to see what the noise was. The cat hiding in the hedge seized that instant of squirrel distraction to pounce, and trotted away with his prize vainly wiggling it's tail.

I scored a 5, and only that because in 1967 we drove through The South on the way to Florida and had to stop to eat. That was my introduction to the stuff they call "grits".

As many as five, but the chopped chicken liver was curtesy of eating over my Jewish friends' houses growing up. The chicken and dumplings and cornbread were from recipes I made when we first got married. I actually do eat and enjoy collard and turnip greens.

Now, my daughter-in-law is Cajun from South of NOLA, I was told "down the bayou". There is nothing they don't hunt, shoot, fish, dig-up, cook and eat. It was a pleasure to visit for the wedding (although my accent was a source of entertainment.) I suspect she could knock off the entire list and add a few. My little granddaughter was sucking on crawfish before a year of age. (No baby food for her.)

Last edited:
I got 15 and I'm from Detroit! Add in the crawfish and catfish too please....
Yep, I got 15 (maybe a bit more, depending definitions?), and I'm from Chicago-land and nearby suburbs / rural suburbs my whole life.

And I've spent maybe 3-4 weeks total in the "south" (and that includes Kentucky, which is just a bit south of the southern tip of IL).

But I'm fairly adventuress and like to try different foods (not a fan of organ meats though. but Haggis was better than I imagined). One week in New Orleans trying different things covers a lot of ground. Gator on a business trip in FL. A few more visiting in-laws in NC/SC.

Plus a few that I think are pretty common up North. Cornbread? Sure, it is Southern, but not exclusively. My Mom made fried green tomatoes, because that's what you do when the frost hits and they are not going to ripen. Or pickle them.

Deviled eggs? I never thought of those as Southern, we had them on occasion.
Is "chocolate gravy" like Mexican style mole' sauce?

-ERD50

I got 27. I was born and raised in Northern California but moved to the "south" at age 21. All of my adult life has been spent eating all these things. There is definitely SWEET
tea in the south. Iced tea is sweet unless you order unsweet tea (which I drink).

Im a yankee and got 18..
Had shrimp & grits for dinner tonight

Last edited:
9 for a Chicago area guy who hasn’t spent much time in the south. 3 or 4 of which were from a weekend in NOLA. Chicken fried steak, frog legs, deviled eggs, fried green tomatoes, and gumbo can all be had in northern Illinois.

Got 12. I lived for 17 years in the South but was neither born nor bred there.

I also got 12, and I have not even lived in the South. But I visited N'awlins twice. Does that count?

And I also eat crawfish, but there's nothing Southern about that. IKEA has a yearly Swedish-style Crawfish Party, and I have participated twice. British people catch and eat crawfish too.

Watch Gordon Ramsay catch crayfish in the following video.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom