Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-20-2017, 02:57 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have a place in Arizona. Generally get out of town by the beginning of May. Was down there once in late June and it hit 116. But it's a "dry" heat. �� Pool was 92 and the heater certainly wasn't on. I heard from the gardener recently and she was really complaining about the heat. They have to quit by noon every day.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just came in from putting extra water on some vegetation. While I was spraying the hose, several hummingbirds came up to drink from the mist!
It's not just hot....we havent had rain in months
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WE live in NV and it is usually mid 80's this time of year. Been around 100 everday recently. If we have not walked the big dog by 9 we have to forget about it. I am totally hating it but it is supposed to break by next week.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:13 PM   #24

Just out of curiosity how many of the folks from Phoenix have swamp (evaporative coolers) and how many have refrigerated air? I know that in Albuquerque until recently most used swamp coolers. At 5 % humidity, they should work quite well.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:23 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Just out of curiosity how many of the folks from Phoenix have swamp (evaporative coolers) and how many have refrigerated air? I know that in Albuquerque until recently most used swamp coolers. At 5 % humidity, they should work quite well.
Full on refrigerated here and happy for it.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:30 PM   #26

Old 06-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Here the newer homes have air and the older ones have swamp coolers. We have had both. Now we have a swamp cooler and it is so much cheaper then air. The only thing is you have to plan better and stay ahead of the heat. If you wait until it is too hot it can't catch up for a day. Usually our nights are so cool that you can turn it off but not so the last few nights which is unusual.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what is normal here. It's not bad, middle 80s and cool at night(50). We turned on the A/C for about an hour one night. Since then we've been able to keep it cool in the house. The nights are great!

Went to the Springs today for a soak. Hottest spring was 108°F and the river 45°F. I went in the river three times but very briefly. It really shocks your system to take the last big step into the cold water. Feels great afterwards. When you get back into a hot spring after the river your skin gets all pins and needles for a while.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #29

I was in Baker, California about ten years ago and stopped to get gas. It had to have been at least 111 or 112. Just brutal. You are down in a hole in Baker, and you certainly bake. I was only out of my car long enough to fill it up, and back in the air conditioned car I went. I am not used to that kind of heat.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 05:36 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
We are hot too, although not AZ hot. The central valley of CA has been over 100 for the last 4 days and predicted to be 4 more.
There is a big trail running race this weekend, the Western States 100. It starts at Squaw Valley, and finishes in Auburn. Looks like 50 at the start but 100 at the finish. Most people won't finish in the heat of day, but they will be in the canyons and that might be worse. One of my friends is running it. He trained for it by doing some hot runs in a sweatshirt, jacket, long pants, and wool cap, so he's done what he can to get ready.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
I have an evap cooler in my house in AZ and like it a lot but I'm at 5K' and ~20 degrees cooler than Phoenix during the summer. Doubt I would want one if I lived in an area where it got over 110 regularly. In some areas of AZ evap coolers are no longer allowed in new construction because they are considered water wasters.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:38 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

To me, summers in AZ are like winters in Wisconsin. You just stay inside or move somewhere cooler for those three months.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
There is a big trail running race this weekend, the Western States 100. It starts at Squaw Valley, and finishes in Auburn. Looks like 50 at the start but 100 at the finish. Most people won't finish in the heat of day, but they will be in the canyons and that might be worse. One of my friends is running it. He trained for it by doing some hot runs in a sweatshirt, jacket, long pants, and wool cap, so he's done what he can to get ready.

Well, look at the bright side, with all the heat the last couple of weeks the WS100 will not need to be re-routed on account of the snowpack, which was the talk up until fairly recently.

Kudos and best wishes to your friend!!
I'll be rooting for Gunhild Swanson, I read someplace this will be her last WS100 run. At age 72.

But back to the topic at hand -- warnings are being issued to PCT hikers on account of the treacherous conditions created by the rapid, massive snowmelt. Ack.
Dangerous conditions face Sierra hikers in early summer | The Fresno Bee
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was in Tucson this past weekend doing a few chores around my winter house.
I won't go back to Tucson until September. It is hot, but until the monsoons start
in late July or August, it is very much a "dry heat". The relative humidity in Tucson
was 8% this past weekend, daytime high temps @109. I've spent some time in S.E.
asia and I'll take 109F and 8% r.h. anyday over 92F and 90% r.h. Places in
the southern midwest, like Indiana are much worse than Tucson in July as far
as outdoor comfort.

That said, you can find me on the Kenai peninsula, Alaska for the summer. Or at work
in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, 170 miles north of the arctic circle. Two weeks ago at work,
it snowed a bit every day for a week.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:30 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Well, look at the bright side, with all the heat the last couple of weeks the WS100 will not need to be re-routed on account of the snowpack, which was the talk up until fairly recently.

Kudos and best wishes to your friend!!
I'll be rooting for Gunhild Swanson, I read someplace this will be her last WS100 run. At age 72.

But back to the topic at hand -- warnings are being issued to PCT hikers on account of the treacherous conditions created by the rapid, massive snowmelt. Ack.
Dangerous conditions face Sierra hikers in early summer | The Fresno Bee
I was out at WS last year when my nephew ran, and we stayed at the same motel as Gunhild in Auburn and briefly talked with her. Wasn't her race that day, but the year before was epic, and I hope she can make it again this year. Same with the 73 yr old guy who was on the track last year when time ran out.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:53 AM   #36

It snowed a bit a week ago Saturday at our home in Canmore. What a contrast to Arizona.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #37

My car info screen yesterday driving in Central Phoenix around 3 PM indicated an an outside temperature of 126F! The official high at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport was 119F which beat the old record of 116 set only last year. Climate change may render the Phoenix area barely habitable in my lifetime; although I've lived here for nearly 30 years, we're considering a move to a less severe climate within a couple of years. The idea is to get out while the getting is still good.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
My car info screen yesterday driving in Central Phoenix around 3 PM indicated an an outside temperature of 126F! The official high at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport was 119F which beat the old record of 116 set only last year. Climate change may render the Phoenix area barely habitable in my lifetime; although I've lived here for nearly 30 years, we're considering a move to a less severe climate within a couple of years. The idea is to get out while the getting is still good.

The mass of people moving to the arid sunbelt are already straining the available water supplies...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
The mass of people moving to the arid sunbelt are already straining the available water supplies...
Lived in PHX most my life (50 years) and ironically I can count on one hand how many times they have implemented a water restriction on us and all of those occurred when I was a kid. My water/trash bill has never been over $70 and we have a pool, but have no grass areas. Not sure exactly how PHX has pulled this off given the huge growth over the years. From what I understand is we have a great underground supply with good infrastructure and we get lots of "cheap" water from the Colorado river. I have to scratch my head when I hear on the news about cities (like Colorado, California etc..) that have to go on strict water use with heavy finds for violators. PHX seems to do just fine... Hope this continues, but they always say water will be the next gold standard in the future since we will be running out someday....
bradaz2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:56 AM   #40

I made it out of Phoenix yesterday to Hawaii. Whew! Just by a hair. When I was boarding the temperature was 115. Didn't want to be stuck in the heat.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote