Southwest heat wave

attachment.php
:cool:

Here the newer homes have air and the older ones have swamp coolers. We have had both. Now we have a swamp cooler and it is so much cheaper then air. The only thing is you have to plan better and stay ahead of the heat. If you wait until it is too hot it can't catch up for a day. Usually our nights are so cool that you can turn it off but not so the last few nights which is unusual.

I don't know what is normal here. It's not bad, middle 80s and cool at night(50). We turned on the A/C for about an hour one night. Since then we've been able to keep it cool in the house. The nights are great!

Went to the Springs today for a soak. Hottest spring was 108°F and the river 45°F. I went in the river three times but very briefly. It really shocks your system to take the last big step into the cold water. Feels great afterwards. When you get back into a hot spring after the river your skin gets all pins and needles for a while.

I was in Baker, California about ten years ago and stopped to get gas. It had to have been at least 111 or 112. Just brutal. You are down in a hole in Baker, and you certainly bake. I was only out of my car long enough to fill it up, and back in the air conditioned car I went. I am not used to that kind of heat.

Last edited:
We are hot too, although not AZ hot. The central valley of CA has been over 100 for the last 4 days and predicted to be 4 more.

There is a big trail running race this weekend, the Western States 100. It starts at Squaw Valley, and finishes in Auburn. Looks like 50 at the start but 100 at the finish. Most people won't finish in the heat of day, but they will be in the canyons and that might be worse. One of my friends is running it. He trained for it by doing some hot runs in a sweatshirt, jacket, long pants, and wool cap, so he's done what he can to get ready.

Just out of curiosity how many of the folks from Phoenix have swamp (evaporative coolers) and how many have refrigerated air? I know that in Albuquerque until recently most used swamp coolers. At 5 % humidity, they should work quite well.

I have an evap cooler in my house in AZ and like it a lot but I'm at 5K' and ~20 degrees cooler than Phoenix during the summer. Doubt I would want one if I lived in an area where it got over 110 regularly. In some areas of AZ evap coolers are no longer allowed in new construction because they are considered water wasters.

To me, summers in AZ are like winters in Wisconsin. You just stay inside or move somewhere cooler for those three months.

There is a big trail running race this weekend, the Western States 100. It starts at Squaw Valley, and finishes in Auburn. Looks like 50 at the start but 100 at the finish. Most people won't finish in the heat of day, but they will be in the canyons and that might be worse. One of my friends is running it. He trained for it by doing some hot runs in a sweatshirt, jacket, long pants, and wool cap, so he's done what he can to get ready.

Well, look at the bright side, with all the heat the last couple of weeks the WS100 will not need to be re-routed on account of the snowpack, which was the talk up until fairly recently.

Kudos and best wishes to your friend!! :flowers:
I'll be rooting for Gunhild Swanson, I read someplace this will be her last WS100 run. At age 72.

But back to the topic at hand -- warnings are being issued to PCT hikers on account of the treacherous conditions created by the rapid, massive snowmelt. Ack.
Dangerous conditions face Sierra hikers in early summer | The Fresno Bee

I was in Tucson this past weekend doing a few chores around my winter house.
I won't go back to Tucson until September. It is hot, but until the monsoons start
in late July or August, it is very much a "dry heat". The relative humidity in Tucson
was 8% this past weekend, daytime high temps @109. I've spent some time in S.E.
asia and I'll take 109F and 8% r.h. anyday over 92F and 90% r.h. Places in
the southern midwest, like Indiana are much worse than Tucson in July as far
as outdoor comfort.

That said, you can find me on the Kenai peninsula, Alaska for the summer. Or at work
in Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, 170 miles north of the arctic circle. Two weeks ago at work,
it snowed a bit every day for a week.

Well, look at the bright side, with all the heat the last couple of weeks the WS100 will not need to be re-routed on account of the snowpack, which was the talk up until fairly recently.

Kudos and best wishes to your friend!! :flowers:
I'll be rooting for Gunhild Swanson, I read someplace this will be her last WS100 run. At age 72.

But back to the topic at hand -- warnings are being issued to PCT hikers on account of the treacherous conditions created by the rapid, massive snowmelt. Ack.
Dangerous conditions face Sierra hikers in early summer | The Fresno Bee
I was out at WS last year when my nephew ran, and we stayed at the same motel as Gunhild in Auburn and briefly talked with her. Wasn't her race that day, but the year before was epic, and I hope she can make it again this year. Same with the 73 yr old guy who was on the track last year when time ran out.

My car info screen yesterday driving in Central Phoenix around 3 PM indicated an an outside temperature of 126F! The official high at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport was 119F which beat the old record of 116 set only last year. Climate change may render the Phoenix area barely habitable in my lifetime; although I've lived here for nearly 30 years, we're considering a move to a less severe climate within a couple of years. The idea is to get out while the getting is still good.

My car info screen yesterday driving in Central Phoenix around 3 PM indicated an an outside temperature of 126F! The official high at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport was 119F which beat the old record of 116 set only last year. Climate change may render the Phoenix area barely habitable in my lifetime; although I've lived here for nearly 30 years, we're considering a move to a less severe climate within a couple of years. The idea is to get out while the getting is still good.

The mass of people moving to the arid sunbelt are already straining the available water supplies...

The mass of people moving to the arid sunbelt are already straining the available water supplies...

Lived in PHX most my life (50 years) and ironically I can count on one hand how many times they have implemented a water restriction on us and all of those occurred when I was a kid. My water/trash bill has never been over $70 and we have a pool, but have no grass areas. Not sure exactly how PHX has pulled this off given the huge growth over the years. From what I understand is we have a great underground supply with good infrastructure and we get lots of "cheap" water from the Colorado river. I have to scratch my head when I hear on the news about cities (like Colorado, California etc..) that have to go on strict water use with heavy finds for violators. PHX seems to do just fine... Hope this continues, but they always say water will be the next gold standard in the future since we will be running out someday....

I made it out of Phoenix yesterday to Hawaii. Whew! Just by a hair. When I was boarding the temperature was 115. Didn't want to be stuck in the heat.

I have been in PHX in summer and it is hot! But what I noticed was that the surfaces inside a car were so hat they could actually cause 1st and 2nd degree burns after sitting in the sun. I wondered why there was so little covered parking. I would consider that a 1st point-of-decision about where to shop if I lived there full time. By the way, sister lived there and car batteries last 2 years due to heat. Many other issues I've forgotten. Still I see the draw to the area - winters tend to be mild. Summer can be brutal, but you don't shovel any snow or slip on any ice. AC can be purchased which makes it completely livable - heaven help you if your AC dies during a heat wave, though.

Regarding what to do in such a heat wave? I think I would drive up to Flagstaff for a few days. Much cooler and also quite nice scenery in the general area. YMMV

I have been in PHX in summer and it is hot! But what I noticed was that the surfaces inside a car were so hat they could actually cause 1st and 2nd degree burns after sitting in the sun. I wondered why there was so little covered parking. I would consider that a 1st point-of-decision about where to shop if I lived there full time. By the way, sister lived there and car batteries last 2 years due to heat. Many other issues I've forgotten. Still I see the draw to the area - winters tend to be mild. Summer can be brutal, but you don't shovel any snow or slip on any ice. AC can be purchased which makes it completely livable - heaven help you if your AC dies during a heat wave, though.

Regarding what to do in such a heat wave? I think I would drive up to Flagstaff for a few days. Much cooler and also quite nice scenery in the general area. YMMV

One of my best friends runs his own AC/Heating business. Better then having a doctor as a friend when you live in PHX :LOL:.. I do not see him too much during this time of year.. Not sure how he does it..

I asked my Az neighbor how he handles the summers. Easy he said - just stay inside in the afternoon. He also bought a remote start for his car. He goes to a store/movies, etc and fires up the remote start when he's ready to leave. The car starts with the AC on. He waits 5 minutes and gets into his cool car for the ride home.

Tomorrow's high forecast has gone up to 110 degrees! :facepalm:

That is going to be a record for here. And in June!!!

Oh - and it did get to 105 today as forecast.

Last edited:
116 in Scottsdale right now. Seems hotter today than yesterday because the sun is full out and no clouds as compared to yesterday. Nice breeze though....kind of like a blast furnace!:mad::mad::mad:

last week I was in Newport Beach, Ca. About 68 the whole week. Looks like I should have gone this week instead.:facepalm:

110F? 116F? 120F? I can't even imagine! :eek: Stay cool if you can, everyone. Remember that the older we get, the more vulnerable we are to getting overheated. And there's not one of us who is getting any younger.

Dress for hot weather, turn on the fans and AC, shower a lot using comfortably cool water, don't do hard physical labor or sit in the sun, and enjoy cold beverages and cold meals.

It's not especially hot here in New Orleans. Our average high temperature in June is 89F, and without doing any math it seems like that is about what we have had this June. We got cooled off yesterday and today due to the continual and occasionally torrential rainfall associated with Tropical Storm Cindy.

Best of luck to all you hot southwesterners! :)

Last edited:
..... shower a lot using comfortably cool water, ......

That's another problem in the summer. The 'cold' water coming out of the faucet is warm. Water mains are only slightly underground.

But the positive thing is that you don't need the water heater on during the summer (and early fall).

The only place I would think that would be hotter than Phoenix, AZ, is Death Valley,California. It usually runs a bit hotter than Phoenix, but not much hotter.

Last edited:
Lived in PHX most my life (50 years) and ironically I can count on one hand how many times they have implemented a water restriction on us and all of those occurred when I was a kid. My water/trash bill has never been over $70 and we have a pool, but have no grass areas. Not sure exactly how PHX has pulled this off given the huge growth over the years. From what I understand is we have a great underground supply with good infrastructure and we get lots of "cheap" water from the Colorado river. I have to scratch my head when I hear on the news about cities (like Colorado, California etc..) that have to go on strict water use with heavy finds for violators. PHX seems to do just fine... Hope this continues, but they always say water will be the next gold standard in the future since we will be running out someday....

Your comment about no grass areas reminded me. About 6-7 years ago we were in PHX during summer vacation trip. It was 117 that day and we were at a water park. Didnt pay close attention to the "grass" I stepped on at waterpark. Well it wasnt real grass but "plastic grass". About burnt my feet off stepping on it. But hey, when the sun goes down and its 100 degrees it is perfect outside. And no bugs either!

Back
Top Bottom