Space War, Star Wars, or what?

FinanceDude

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Russia warns of arms war in space - Space News - MSNBC.com

Looks like Russia is getting feisty........doesn't Putin know the Cold War is over?

I had read years back that the Space Shuttle was originally designed to knock satellites out of orbit, therby gaining an advantage on the country you're trying to destroy.........:eek:

Something tells me the payload bay would fit a couple of China's military satellites pretty well.........;)

Russia warns of arms war in space - Space News - MSNBC.com

Looks like Russia is getting feisty........doesn't Putin know the Cold War is over?

With China's recent ASAT test, and our fielding of forward missile defenses close to Russia's border, Putin might have this one right.

I had read years back that the Space Shuttle was originally designed to knock satellites out of orbit, therby gaining an advantage on the country you're trying to destroy.........:eek:

It was designed to provide lower cost to orbit and continuity of manned space missions. As it turned out, it costs more than expendables and is at risk of ending manned missions because of cost and risk. But hey, let's not get picky
wink.gif

I'm no expert, but I'd bet a dollar to a genetically-altered jelly donut that spy satellites and assorted military assets are the PRIMARY reason we're (the USA) in space...

It only takes one to get the new sword and then everyone gets it. Just that now the new "sword" in space is the anti-whatever you have missile. When we invaded Iraq the first thing to get hit was the AA sites --- well in the not to distant future the first to get hit will be the other guys/gals satellites, then, if even necessary, the AA Sites then the ground troops. If you take out all of the satellites and, they are important enough, maybe the thinking is that the war is over and the other stuff becomes unnecessary.

If you take out all of the satellites and, they are important enough, maybe the thinking is that the war is over and the other stuff becomes unnecessary.

It's interesting how situations evolve. In the Cold War we had an implicit understanding with the Soviets that we would not interfere with each other's [-]satellites[/-], I mean, with each other's "national technical means of verification." The thinking was that satellites were so vulnerable that if one side took one out the other side could do the same thing so let's just have an understanding. Now that the Cold War is over, it's not so easy to know what's going to happen. The satellites are just as vulnerable, but there's a lot of other players and they're not all rational.

From Las Vegas Vacation

You got any video games? Asteriods?

No, but my dad does. Once he couldn't sit down for a week.

The "company" that wrote my paycheck designed this thingy.
Robotic Satellite Servicer
Unlike the ham-handed Chinese, or should I say bokchoy-handed Chinese, who for all the world to see, blast away in public.

So imagine a vehicle in space that could "service" other vehicles, nay not just service them, but attach and move them. Hell, imagine, grapple em like Hulk Hogan. Or, God forbid, inject them with toxins. Not saying we would, just could.

When we signed those treaties, I'm positive that we just quit every bit of research and development. NOT.

Putin has reasons to be mad. FD/HFWR PM'n ya some thinking materials.

Sputnik started this mess. Happy Birthday you bastard machine, you.

Back
Top Bottom