Join Early Retirement Today

Space War, Star Wars, or what?
Old 10-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Space War, Star Wars, or what?

Russia warns of arms war in space - Space News - MSNBC.com

Looks like Russia is getting feisty........doesn't Putin know the Cold War is over?

I had read years back that the Space Shuttle was originally designed to knock satellites out of orbit, therby gaining an advantage on the country you're trying to destroy.........

Something tells me the payload bay would fit a couple of China's military satellites pretty well.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Russia warns of arms war in space - Space News - MSNBC.com

Looks like Russia is getting feisty........doesn't Putin know the Cold War is over?
With China's recent ASAT test, and our fielding of forward missile defenses close to Russia's border, Putin might have this one right.

Quote:
I had read years back that the Space Shuttle was originally designed to knock satellites out of orbit, therby gaining an advantage on the country you're trying to destroy.........
It was designed to provide lower cost to orbit and continuity of manned space missions. As it turned out, it costs more than expendables and is at risk of ending manned missions because of cost and risk. But hey, let's not get picky
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm no expert, but I'd bet a dollar to a genetically-altered jelly donut that spy satellites and assorted military assets are the PRIMARY reason we're (the USA) in space...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #4

It only takes one to get the new sword and then everyone gets it. Just that now the new "sword" in space is the anti-whatever you have missile. When we invaded Iraq the first thing to get hit was the AA sites --- well in the not to distant future the first to get hit will be the other guys/gals satellites, then, if even necessary, the AA Sites then the ground troops. If you take out all of the satellites and, they are important enough, maybe the thinking is that the war is over and the other stuff becomes unnecessary.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
If you take out all of the satellites and, they are important enough, maybe the thinking is that the war is over and the other stuff becomes unnecessary.
It's interesting how situations evolve. In the Cold War we had an implicit understanding with the Soviets that we would not interfere with each other's satellites, I mean, with each other's "national technical means of verification." The thinking was that satellites were so vulnerable that if one side took one out the other side could do the same thing so let's just have an understanding. Now that the Cold War is over, it's not so easy to know what's going to happen. The satellites are just as vulnerable, but there's a lot of other players and they're not all rational.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:39 PM   #6

you were probably wondering how in the world i was ever going to manage to rainbow color this thread.

well just so happens it was recently announced that an asteroid belt was named in honor our very own sister george takei aka sulu of star trek fame. so there.

Asteroid belt is named for George Takei - Yahoo! News

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
From Las Vegas Vacation
Old 10-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

From Las Vegas Vacation

You got any video games? Asteriods?

No, but my dad does. Once he couldn't sit down for a week.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 04:50 AM   #8

The "company" that wrote my paycheck designed this thingy.
Robotic Satellite Servicer
Unlike the ham-handed Chinese, or should I say bokchoy-handed Chinese, who for all the world to see, blast away in public.

So imagine a vehicle in space that could "service" other vehicles, nay not just service them, but attach and move them. Hell, imagine, grapple em like Hulk Hogan. Or, God forbid, inject them with toxins. Not saying we would, just could.

When we signed those treaties, I'm positive that we just quit every bit of research and development. NOT.

Putin has reasons to be mad. FD/HFWR PM'n ya some thinking materials.

Sputnik started this mess. Happy Birthday you bastard machine, you.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote