Join Early Retirement Today

Sparse Trader Joes?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sparse Trader Joes?

Is this a local phenomenon or anyone else seeing it?

I went into trader joes yesterday, specifically looking to pick up a variety of vegetable soups for Gabe and some rice noodles to use in our dinner. Almost no soup at all in a store thats usually got half an aisle dedicated to it, and almost no asian foods whatsoever. No rice noodles. Not even dried "soup in a cup" type stuff. I think the entire soup selection was clam chowder, tomato soup, lentil soup and split pea, the latter three all "trader joes organic".

I kept wandering back and forth feeling like I was missing an aisle somewhere.

Guess I should have asked someone. Didnt look like empty shelf space, more like some stuff was removed and filled in with more other stuff. Plenty of stockers were at work restocking and moving stuff around.

Wonder if this is related to the melamine thing?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sparse Trader Joes?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Are you saying your local store stopped selling things you usually bought, or you went to a new one?

my store still seems to have the usual stock.

I have been to several in different parts of the state and they all vary their stock depending on their location...
Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

JUst checked this: Still no T-joes in TX. I wander why?
perinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
I thought Texans only eat beef It helps ward off the Ebola I hear.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Wonder if this is related to the melamine thing?
I think you are onto something.
TJ's has a lot of food from China.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by perinova
Asked them specifically this question and their reply, at least at the store level, was "Texas has such weird laws". Not sure what that was supposed to mean, as I think we are still part of the Union. But that's their reason and they're sticking to it. Actually, they did say that they were looking into coming to Texas, but they had to work with the laws around franchising or something.
YeeHaw!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:44 PM   #7

I was in there yesterday - mine was pretty much fully stocked - with food and customers.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex
I was in there yesterday - mine was pretty much fully stocked - with food and customers.
Packed with everything here in NC.

Great new beer, lots of wines, frozen stuff etc.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm, well I havent shopped in this one very much before, its the one in our new part of the world, but I sorta thought that things like vegetarian soups and ethnic foods were somewhat of a mainstay in the trader joes world. The ones i've shopped in before must have had 15 different kinds of "soup in a cup", while this one had none, and almost no canned soups of any kind. And not a single jar, package, box or bag of anything Thai related.

Perhaps its just the local market. My wife did point out that you can barely turn around without hitting a thai or vietnamese restaurant...maybe people get their asian foods more directly around here. And perhaps they're simply not soup eaters in this part of the world.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:25 PM   #10

FWIW, the 'fearless flyer' arrived in the mail today......
Old 05-04-2007, 07:38 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I've run into that a couple of times at our TJ's. They had a pretty good selection of jelly ... and of pasta, but now both sections have next to nothing...
Old 05-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

[homer]mmmmm...pasta with jelly on it.....glllllllrrrrbbbbbllllll[/homer]
Old 05-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No Trade Joe's in Hawaii

I stock up when I go to the mainland, and in fact require anybody who is staying at my house to bring TJ's Pasta, various sauces and oil.

Just the rumor that TJ was going to open a store in Hawaii was front page news a couple of years ago, sadly it was just a cruel hoax. Although, everytime I ask TJ employees about Hawaii they are very enthusiastic about going to to Hawaii to help train the new staff.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

don't give up cfb, my sister has had good luck requesting products - that they used to have and stopped at that store for whatever reason - showed back up a few weeks later...

but yeah, if it's a newer store for you there are some staples all the stores have, but definitely regional differences - even across town - which i guess is determined by the community...
Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #15

Trader Joe's is like Price Club Costco. If you see it and like it, stock up on it, because it will likely be missing soon. Probably 50% of everything I have bought at Trader Joe's that I loved, they no longer carry.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
No Trade Joe's in Hawaii

I stock up when I go to the mainland, and in fact require anybody who is staying at my house to bring TJ's Pasta, various sauces and oil.

Just the rumor that TJ was going to open a store in Hawaii was front page news a couple of years ago, sadly it was just a cruel hoax. Although, everytime I ask TJ employees about Hawaii they are very enthusiastic about going to to Hawaii to help train the new staff.
They wear shirts with a Hawaiian motif; don't they?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #17

Went to TJ's in Laguna today CFB. Seemed to have the normal stuff maybe you went on an off day.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:27 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
[homer]mmmmm...pasta with jelly on it.....glllllllrrrrbbbbbllllll[/homer]
LOL! So Gabe hasn't tried that yet?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Oh come on...anything with jelly on it is good! Unfortunately, he'll eat half a jar of jelly on the same piece of toast over a period of time, and the toast is still intact! And anything can be dipped into any condiment type product, and dipping is almost a requirement of any food intake. And condiments can be a food product in themselves! Tartar sauce is often consumed in great quantities. But then again, its GOOD tartar sauce because I make it for him from scratch to go with his fish sticks.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:52 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

I noticed a lack of soups and nut butters in the NYC one two weeks ago. I speficially wanted to check out their raw almond butter prices & look over the organic soup selection again. Both were very low & missing a lot of stuff.

I wonder if it was just the time of the month where they're waiting for a lot of deliveries?
Celany is offline   Reply With Quote