Spatchcock Turkey

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Thanksgiving has come around fast this year! Last year my son and his wife to be had us and her parents over for Thanksgiving. That seemed like it was just a few weeks ago. Lol

This year they are a couple and having the same crew this year and will be doing a spatchcock turkey on their Treager grill. Last year he did it is the oven and was very good but got a little smokey in the house. Lol

Has anyone done one that way or going to try preparing one spatchcock method?

Spatchcock is an excellent way to cook a turkey. I've done it on the BGE with great results.

My only comment is that a very little bit of smoke goes a very long way with turkey or chicken.

Spatchcock is an excellent way to cook a turkey. I've done it on the BGE with great results.

My only comment is that a very little bit of smoke goes a very long way with turkey or chicken.

I sure hope it turns out well for him. The smokey house was from the oil rub that was applied to the turkey. I think it burned some but was very good and moist!

I have no idea if smoke is part of the process of doing one on a Treager Grill.

Spatchcock is a good technique because when the white meat is at optimum temperature the dark meat is hotter, also at its optimum temperature. I don't remember the numbers offhand but they are out there on the 'net.

A spatchcocked turkey will cook more quickly than a whole bird. That is something to keep an eye on, particularly in a conventional oven. You need to begin monitoring sooner than you would expect from whole turkey times.

Edit: Temps: https://www.npr.org/sections/health...g-let-science-help-you-roast-a-tastier-turkey When checking temps, though, remember that the outer part of the meat is hotter than the center. So pull the turkey maybe 10 deg colder than your target, then wrap in foil and maybe a towel to let it "rest" and temps to equalize. The center will come nicely up to where you want it.

Last edited:
Learn something new every day... I've heard of and cooked spatchcock chicken but never thought to use that technique on a turkey.

We bought a turkey even though we are going to a friend's for Thanksgiving because we happen to like turkey. I wish I had heard of this before we froze it because I probably would have spatchcocked the turkey, cut it in half and then frozen each half for future use.

Nonetheless, when we do thaw it and end up cooking it, perhaps I'll spatchcock it and give it a try.

^ it is an outstanding way to make it IMO. Any way with the ones I have eaten.

YouTube has excellent step by step for the process. Have Fun!

I'll look into it for next year. It sounds very interesting! Unfortunately, this year, we will be buying turkey-dinner-in-a-styro-box at Times supermarket. They are actually very GOOD! Our TG plans fell apart due to travel plans of our "adoptive" family here in the Islands. We'll do turkey leftovers at a church-friend's house TG eve.

Much aloha and happy Thanksgiving to all.

Koolau, I bet they are very good and less work. Lol

f35phixer, those pictures sure made me hungry! Lol Happy Thanksgiving!!

Thanksgiving has come around fast this year! Last year my son and his wife to be had us and her parents over for Thanksgiving. That seemed like it was just a few weeks ago. Lol

This year they are a couple and having the same crew this year and will be doing a spatchcock turkey on their Treager grill. Last year he did it is the oven and was very good but got a little smokey in the house. Lol

Has anyone done one that way or going to try preparing one spatchcock method?
No problem with smoking poultry spatchcock or whole. The thing is you really want to brine a turkey to smoke it. I don’t have a bucket big enough nor the fridge space. Some folks in cooler late fall climates have a cool spot they can leave a 5 gallon bucket brining a turkey overnight.

Spatchcock, smoked roasted was absolutely fabulous. For some reason done this way they are so moist. Two and half hours and ready feast.

Attachments

• IMG_8365.jpg
    IMG_8365.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 20
That's how I cook mine. Smoke at 215 for an hour then finish at 325 to crisp up the skin. Dry brine before hand and season with salt, pepper, and a rub if you like. Everyone said it was the best turkey they've had.

^^^ When you finish to crisp up the skin, do you just increase the temp from 215 to 325 or do you take it out, increase the temp to 325 and then put it back in. I'm guessing the former?

Spatchcock, smoked roasted was absolutely fabulous. For some reason done this way they are so moist. Two and half hours and ready feast.

Did you brine it?

My brined then smoked poultry always turns out super moist no matter the configuration.

Did you brine it?

My brined then smoked poultry always turns out super moist no matter the configuration.
Check the fine print. I am having trouble, for example, finding St. Louis cut ribs that have not been jazzed up with 10% or more water and salt. No need to brine again. Same-o on the last turkey we bought, though more expensive birds had not been jazzed.

LEM has a very clever brining bucket: https://www.lemproducts.com/product/briner-buckets/all-cooking-dehydrating

Did you brine it?

No brine, all dry rub and I some oil, I believe. My son does them, so not absolutely sure.

He did one last year in oven and was moist also. This year and last everyone commented on how moist and the flavor was excellent.

Check the fine print. I am having trouble, for example, finding St. Louis cut ribs that have not been jazzed up with 10% or more water and salt. No need to brine again. Same-o on the last turkey we bought, though more expensive birds had not been jazzed.

LEM has a very clever brining bucket: https://www.lemproducts.com/product/briner-buckets/all-cooking-dehydrating
I only brine poultry and fish.

I have that brine bucket - the Briner Jr. it’s very handy. Fits in my fridge and can hold a reasonably good size turkey breast.

Back
Top Bottom