Speaking of foods, what won't you try?

Ditto. Or anchovies or blue cheese.

I just returned from 2 weeks in Peru and the food was fabulous (even though we didn't make it to any of the high-end Lima restaurants. Cuy (guinea pig, pronounced "coo-ee") .... Anticuchos are marinated beef hearts also grilled on a stick - very tasty (enough so that I may try to find beef hearts and make it myself). Ceviche .... Many varieties of corn and potatoes. Their bar snack equivalent of popcorn is baked corn kernels of different shapes, sizes, and colors. I could go on but this is making me hungry!

I love ceviche and it sounds like there is a great variety of it to try in Lima! :dance: Thanks for this post. Hadn't heard of Anticuchos. DW has us booked at a couple of the renowned Miraflores restaurants so far--but we have enough time there to do a whole bunch of regular food days to average the price out.

Don't know what aspect of the trip we are most looking forward to, but the food is high on the list. :)

I"m going back to Iceland next month and will skip the things DH and I saw on menus there on our 2015 trip: whale, puffin, and horsemeat carpaccio (thinly-slicd raw horsemeat). I'm sure they're all palatable but puffins are so CUTE and I like whales. Horsemeat is perfectly acceptable in some European cultures if it's sold as such and they follow the laws for feeding and treatment of the animals- but I just can't get used to the idea.

I don't like organ meats. Tried haggis and blood sausage (also called "black sausage") in Edinburgh. Once was enough. Did not try eating termites in the Costa Rican forest although a couple of my fellow travelers did. I love spicy foods, especially Indian, and haven't encountered a fruit or vegetable I didn't like. I particularly loved traveling in India on business because, unlike most areas in Asia, you were unlikely to be presented with, let's say, unusual forms of meat. I ate traditional Indian food 3X/day and stayed happily vegetarian. It was a piece of advice I got to prevent stomach upsets- maybe the unfriendly bacteria are more likely to proliferate in meat than plants. The worst upset I ever had was after I violated this and had fish in the restaurant of the hotel where I stayed- a good one that prepared foods to the standards of European and American sanitary practices. I won't do that again.

I had horse meat in Iceland and didn't really care for it. It's hard to eat well in Iceland. One thing I enjoyed was the wildlife boat tour complete with fresh seafood, scooped up from the sea. That was the only time I dared raw seafood. It was good, actually. Anything not eaten went back into the sea. There were a lot of crabs crawling around on the deck until they got tossed back into the sea.

We ended up eating a lot at breakfast and a lot of hot dogs, pizza, and Indian food due to the cost and lack of other affordable choices. I also brought 2 lbs of nuts in my suitcase. It allowed for skipped meals. Here is a link to the seafood tour:

https://www.icelandtravel.is/tour/item679821/viking-sushi-boat-tour-short-version/

Last, I like Andrew Zimmerman and Anthony Bourdain both. There is one thing Andrew Zimmerman won't eat: oatmeal!

Tried rattlesnake once in Arizona. It tasted like chicken. I won't eat raw fish, or any organ meat. I do not like wild gamey tasting meats like elk or buffalo, or even deer unless it is corn fed.

Back
Top Bottom