Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #21
Gone but not forgotten

My (real) first name is easy... Spelled the same, upside down and backward. It used to be a most common name, but then imoldernu, so you might not guess..
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
My (real) first name is easy... Spelled the same, upside down and backward. It used to be a most common name, but then imoldernu, so you might not guess..
Uh oh......an intelligence test.....
Old 10-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A man, a plan, a canal--Panama?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
In almost 55 years, the only person in this country who has ever pronounced my first name properly is my mother. My father can't, nor can my siblings, my cousins, their children or grandchildren. Heck, even the young wife can't. It seems simple to me, but whenever I say it, people think I'm saying something else. At least I can still cash my paycheck, no matter how they pronounce it.
Tell them It has a hard G, not Jumby.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Doesn't get much older than Asa. Go back far enough and it was also common.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
AOne of them kept sending my messages to a totally made up and nonexistent email address which was the address he thought I ought to have!

Meadbh
Well, really, you should have had the foresight to be telepathic and know that. Or I suppose that's how such people think.

Now I feel lucky to have a simple first and last name, both originating in Germany and Ireland, respectively.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
Gone but not forgotten

My last name is a common color and people constantly ask me how to spell it !
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had no idea Meadbh was a name! I went to school with a Siobhan. I loved her name but was surprised when I saw the spelling!

I'm glad you started this thread because now I can pronounce your name in my head when I see it.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzy View Post
I had no idea Meadbh was a name! I went to school with a Siobhan. I loved her name but was surprised when I saw the spelling!

I'm glad you started this thread because now I can pronounce your name in my head when I see it.
Tinlizzy, I'm glad you learnt something today. I am constantly amazed by what I learn on this forum!

As NW-Bound said, there are several different spellings of the name. Of note, when you see an "h" in Irish words, that would have been represented by a dot above the preceding letter in old Irish script. Therefore, meadbh would really be meadb with a dot above the b. The anglicized version is "Maeve". And there was an Aer Lingus A330 aircraft called 'Meadgbh" on one side and "St. Maeve" on the other. It was scrapped a couple of years ago. It's cal name was EI-ORD. Here it is taxiing off from Dublin Airport (DUB) in 2011.

http://youtu.be/neD7QE0cJGQ

I don't have children, but if I had a daughter, my #1 choice of name for her would have been Meadbh.

Siobhan (pronounced "shove awn") is the Irish version of Jane. So now you know!
Old 10-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #30

Tell someone your name is Jerry, and they want to know what your 'real' name is: Jeremy, Gerald, Jeremiah...

I already told you...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

BOB
Old 10-14-2013, 07:39 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
BOB
I thought it was BYOB...
Old 10-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Lest people think I possess some knowledge of Gaelic languages, let me say that I don't.

Just a week or two ago, I ran across an Irish historical info, and while looking it up on the Web, remembered that Meadbh said a while ago in a post that her screen name was that of a Queen. Have I not been telling people that my memory is good when it comes to anecdotes, or some random facts? (but never historical dates that would help my grade in high school History). But I digress...

So, I looked up Meadbh, then was curious to see how it would be pronounced. Most unusual, wouldn't you say? And people think English, French, Italian, or Spanish are hard.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:44 PM   #34
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I thought it was BYOB...
I thought it was BYOYB - "Bring yams or you're busted". A favorite of those party time guys at the agricultural and mechanical colleges.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #35
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I thought it was BYOYB - "Bring yams or you're busted". A favorite of those party time guys at the agricultural and mechanical colleges.
+1

Which reminds me, it's this weekend - don't miss it: 2013 East Texas Yamboree
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Lest people think I possess some knowledge of Gaelic languages, let me say that I don't.

Just a week or two ago, I ran across an Irish historical item, and while looking it up on the Web, remembered that Meadbh said a while ago in a post that her screen name was that of a Queen. Have I not been telling people that my memory is good when it comes to anecdotes, or some random facts? (but never historical dates that would help my grade in high school History). But I digress...

So, I looked up Meadbh, then was curious to see how it would be pronounced. Most unusual, wouldn't you say? And people think English, French, Italian, or Spanish are hard.
I see you are becoming quite the Gaelic scholar, NW-Bound!

Go n'eiri an bothar leat!

(May the road rise with you).
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

Which reminds me, it's this weekend - don't miss it: 2013 East Texas Yamboree
Texas never ceases to amaze.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 PM   #38

I'm with you.
Part of an email address I use is a common word.
Someone else has the same email, but that word has the British spelling whereas mine uses the American spelling.

The result is that I get a lot of email meant for him. Easy for me, but he's still a self-employed working stiff and I'm sure it's rough on him. Still, he likes the phrase enough that he insists on using it professionally.

I forward what looks important to him, but many I simply delete. He knows that and is ok with it.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I always know when a phone call is a junk call, since they never pronounce my name properly. It's a real tip off!

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #40

Add me to the list of people who didn't know that Meadbh is a commonly accepted and known name. I, like a few others here, thought it was just a screen name. My apologies. In the same way that I call Obgyn65 Obgyn or even just Ob, and address Haha as just Ha, I would have been one of the offenders who might well have called you Mead.

I grew up in a world full of people called Dave, Tracy, Nigel, Mark, Catherine, Tom - well, you get the idea. I don't think I ever quite fully adjusted to the plethora of different names, spellings and pronunciations in the world. Yesterday, I ran into a (very) casual acquaintance whose name is Tenay. I said "Hello Ten-i" to her (last syllable sounding like the letter "i") and received a slightly "off" look, whereupon I realized the pronunciation was "Ten-a" (the last syllable sounding like the letter "a").

It's a complicated world out there, for sure................

Closed Thread