Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-12-2021, 12:13 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Positive thoughts that they can figure out the issue and treat it. So sorry you are going through this.
Thank you. My neighbor already jumped my a** about "leaving him alone in a cage". I'd really have felt better with his regular doctors but honestly maybe that is just my being used to them and maybe these are equally good.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2021, 12:21 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
They just called and it sounds like they are doing SOME things so I feel much better. Well except that he might be worse than I thought. Diuretics, oxygen tent, x-rays, blood work. They said he is stable. As to why I took him in he wasn't eating and just lethargic. He just had complete blood/urine panel in Oct. so IDK what changed so quick but he is 13 and has (controlled) HCM. They plan to do some more blood tests. They can't check with his cardiologist until Monday but his echo in Oct was actually good, slightly improved even. They can't do CT scans on the weekend apparently
So sorry to hear what you and your cat are going through. It sounds like they're doing all they could with what's available to them. I hope everything turns out all right.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:30 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I'm with you, I've been preaching quality of life to them for the past few years now but I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'd better watch out or they'll use the same standard on me when I get old
In their defense that darn cat always pulls through, he's putting weight on again, he's jumping up and down off the couch , he's no longer hiding and very sociable again, and he's back to eating kibble and canned as well as what he gets through the tube. It turns out he just pulled the tube out a a couple of days ago and the vet said leave it out, he can put it back easily enough if they need to.
My own cat is 18 and skin and bones and only weighs 4.2 lbs but she's on thyroid medication and eats anything and everything in sight. Her overall demeanor is feisty and where food is concerned she will kill my puppy who's 3 times her size.
I've had to put down my best ever dog a female German Shepherd in 2018, my other shepherd in 2019 ( Christmas Day) and the moment the cat shows any sign of pain, I'll take her to be euthanized but so far she's doing okay.
Good to hear that your pets are doing well despite some medical issues. Our pets pouncing around happily definitely brings joy to our lives. What your daughter said to you is funny! I'd want to go if the quality of life wasn't there, but don't kill me prematurely!
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:53 PM   #24

Veterinarians have the toughest jobs, since they have to diagnose just through exam and a few tests. Patient can't tell them what hurts or is wrong. Add in so many of our pets don't show pain much. It is always tough decision trying to determine the proper care and treatment. DW and I have been through it numerous times.

Now add in the specialized veterinarians, who deserve the extra cost, but it makes it very expensive. Hope OP can figure out what is going on with his cat and get a treatment plan figured out.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:58 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

A.
That's backwards, and gaslighting to boot.
B.Once you have seen someone old suffer through the end of life, you will be saying "And what is wrong with that?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
I'm with you, I've been preaching quality of life to them for the past few years now but I've been told in no uncertain terms that I'd better watch out or they'll use the same standard on me when I get old .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a cat who lived to be 18.

When she was 1 year old she developed a fungal infection, cryptococcosis. I went to the local university and read several articles in veterinary journals. The drugs used to treat it were fairly expensive and had to be given for a long time (>1 year usually). But, if treatment was started early enough recovery was almost 100%. So I went through with the treatment.

I tell this story to any vet I use. I tell the vet that if they have a good idea what is wrong, and if the treatment will prolong the cats life by a significant amount then I am on board.

On the other hand if the treatments are, we don't don't really know what's wrong lets do this invasive intervention or that invasive treatment and try this and that and maybe the cat will live another month or two I won't be on board. The animal just suffers. I think many times when pet owners pursue these types of treatments they are doing more for themselves than for the animal.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:25 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
On the other hand if the treatments are, we don't don't really know what's wrong lets do this invasive intervention or that invasive treatment and try this and that and maybe the cat will live another month or two I won't be on board. The animal just suffers. I think many times when pet owners pursue these types of treatments they are doing more for themselves than for the animal.
100% this. I just never really thought I wouldn't have the vets I trust available when something was wrong.

Thinking over why they were so confusing too, I think just didn't know what they would find and were trying to explain it might be complicated/take longer/etc.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:00 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

WTF? What does the neighbor know about treating sick cats?? I'm sorry you had to get his lip on top of worrying about your cat.

Quote:
Thank you. My neighbor already jumped my a** about "leaving him alone in a cage"..
Old 12-12-2021, 04:05 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Exactly. The best, most beloved cat I ever had, suddenly got very sick at the age of 8. The vets couldn't tell what was wrong, and wanted to try everything; in my naivete and grief, I let them. At the end of a week the cat was a miserable wreck who no longer recognized me; I told them to stop treatment and let him go.

The bill came to thousands, and this was 26 years ago.

They offered to do the euthanasia for free if I would allow them to autopsy the corpse. Turned out his whole body was riddled with bad white cells. He must have been in pain for a long time, but cats are the world's biggest Stoics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo29 View Post
I had a cat who lived to be 18.

When she was 1 year old she developed a fungal infection, cryptococcosis. I went to the local university and read several articles in veterinary journals. The drugs used to treat it were fairly expensive and had to be given for a long time (>1 year usually). But, if treatment was started early enough recovery was almost 100%. So I went through with the treatment.

I tell this story to any vet I use. I tell the vet that if they have a good idea what is wrong, and if the treatment will prolong the cats life by a significant amount then I am on board.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:17 PM   #30

We had a cat that was diabetic. I spent lots of time and money going to the vet to check his blood sugar, not to mention the insulin. Giving him IV fluids at home was not easy. He hung in the at least a couple years after the diagnosis. So we thought it was worth it.
MC Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #31

Latest update is they want more money, still don't know, and since it is not a weekend now they are doing more tests. The ones they should have done the first day probably like ultrasound, etc.
Old 12-15-2021, 11:05 PM   #32

What is happening with your feline?
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 05:34 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
For me the issue comes from trust in your vet. We moved 5 years ago and the first vet we used, highly recommended, and she was nuts. She told me in the same visit that 1. My dog was blind because of cataracts and I was cruel not to treat them 2. the dog had Cushings and would die if it wasn't treated. She had a huge $$$ treatment plan for him.

I put him down this January and he was seeing just fine, he didn't have Cushing either. At 14 he had other issues including his knees that our new vet said could have been fixed at 15k apiece.! He recommended against that and gently said euthanasia was what he would do if it was his dog. I've developed a trust in his office, doesn't hurt a dog loving friend told me a story about how he treated her dog. I've seen how the office operates and it's consistent with how we treat our pets. Vet care has gotten on par with people care and it's costs.
I'm sorry for your loss and sounds like you did right by your buddy.

I was told 6+ years ago that my dog wouldn't be walking in a year unless he had double femoral head ostectomies and by the way his spine was fusing too, which is inoperable. It seemed like a terrible thing to put him through and he was still going to have the spine problem. He's still getting around pretty good, other than stairs. Still jumps off the dock and enjoys the dog park even more than he used to because instead of being tennis ball obsessed he's become a social butterfly. I still haven't found a vet I trust, and at his last checkup was suggested stem cell treatment, hmmm.
Old 12-16-2021, 08:37 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I have told myself when it comes to euthanasia of our beloved pets (which is one of the worst experiences you can deal with, IMHO) that the pets don't know what is happening. They don't know "it's the end", it is us that suffer the loss. With that, we have adopted the thought that being maybe a little "too early" is a better outcome than a little "too late."

In our last two losses, both were able to have a fantastic "last day" with good food and lots and lots of loving as opposed to an emergent procedure when they are suffering too much.

Of course, sometimes this can't be planned.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #35

It is very expensive. I was just quoted over $1000 for teeth cleaning and 2 extractions for my one cat. I have a (human) dentist friend who was astonished at that high number. They insist on doing prior bloodwork, etc, all of which used to be optional and is now part of the package.

Some years ago I had a cat with thyroid disease who had to undergo radiation three times. I was told it was highly unusual to have to do it 2 times, much less 3. He did manage to hang on until passing at 16, but I spend thousands on his treatment. Sadly while I'd like to own several cats, as I believe they are good companions to each other, I can no longer justify the expense of more than 1.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:06 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakyaby View Post
What is happening with your feline?
He didn't make it. I'm devastated. He had excellent blood work and cardiology checkup (for a cat with HCM) in October and they found he was filled with cancer. Hug your pets today because things can change fast. I really do think the ER vet did everything they could in the end too. I was skeptical at first but had no reason to doubt once things started happening.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:15 AM   #37

Oh, I’m sorry badatmath! It never gets easier.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
He didn't make it. I'm devastated. He had excellent blood work and cardiology checkup (for a cat with HCM) in October and they found he was filled with cancer. Hug your pets today because things can change fast. I really do think the ER vet did everything they could in the end too. I was skeptical at first but had no reason to doubt once things started happening.
Ugh...I am so sorry to hear about this. Losing these furry buddies *is* devastating. Our last fur buddy was diagnosed with a cancer that was aggressive and I was told that his spleen could rupture at anytime and there was nothing we could do, so yes things can change very, VERY fast..all this after spending a good 6 months of getting him back to normal after a CCL tear surgery.
Old 12-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm so sorry. It is devastating.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 11:56 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

My condolences to you.
Our fur babies are such a big part of our lives.