Join Early Retirement Today

'Splain me this about wireless speakers please
Old 08-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

'Splain me this about wireless speakers please

Would like to have a smallish but decent speaker or speakers for music and movies played from iPad or iPod.

Here's my frustration about wireless. After a period of time between uses, the speaker turns off and I have to physically turn it on before it can "see" the device and play again (even if speaker is plugged in to power outlet). If I have to do that, I might as well have a wired speaker or speakers.

Are there wireless speakers that have remotes for this problem?

The best option would be speakers that could do "either" mode... wireless or wired.

Is there something in the plus or minus $100 range that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance!
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Funny, I have the exact same question right now as I'm trying to simplify my wired mess.

Let's see what comes for replies.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Would like to have a smallish but decent speaker or speakers for music and movies played from iPad or iPod.

Here's my frustration about wireless. After a period of time between uses, the speaker turns off and I have to physically turn it on before it can "see" the device and play again (even if speaker is plugged in to power outlet). If I have to do that, I might as well have a wired speaker or speakers.

The best option would be speakers that could do "either" mode... wireless or wired.

Is there something in the plus or minus $100 range that you'd recommend?

Thanks in advance!
It may be a function of the manufacturer's implementation of Bluetooth (I assume it is a BT speaker). It is not a function of "wireless" in general. the speaker may or may not also delete it's pairing list after a certain time. Your smart-device app may also have pairing timeouts (I think you can set these, at least in Android).

I am an engineer in this wireless chaos, and there is no easy answer - there are just too many manufacturers and implementations. Interoperability is a big problem.

I think you may have to either have confirmation directly from the speaker manufacturer or manufacturer's documentation on how it is implemented, or buy/return a bunch of them until you find one that is implemented the way you want.

That being said, I have a JAMBOX by Jawbone that I just love - but I can't say that I have been through your exact use case (at least that I know about) to see what it does, one way or the other.

Sorry I can't be of more help......
FIREmenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:53 AM   #4

If you want to go small/inexpensive you might try the Bose Soundlink.

https://www.bose.com

A more robust and expensive wireless option is Sonos.

Sonos | HiFi Wireless Speakers & Home Audio Systems
Old 08-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #5

Quote:
After a period of time between uses, the speaker turns off and I have to physically turn it on before it can "see" the device and play again (even if speaker is plugged in to power outlet).
Mine don't have that problem -- they stay on and are always ready. I've had two of them (one upstairs, one downstairs) and they've performed beautifully for a couple of years now.

Above your desired price range, though.
JBL L8 Two-Way Speaker System with Wireless Streaming
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #6

Since you're using Apple devices you might investigate a "system" or self contained amplified speakers that use Airplay, rather than bluetooth.

As an example, we use an Apple Airport Express to serve as the input to a small dedicated amp driving a pair of monitor speakers (all under $100 BTW). Works fine with Airplay.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #7

Just to add context, I do not have whole house wireless available. So it's Bluetooth, or Airplay on a 3G MiFi.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 08-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beldar View Post
Since you're using Apple devices you might investigate a "system" or self contained amplified speakers that use Airplay, rather than bluetooth.

As an example, we use an Apple Airport Express to serve as the input to a small dedicated amp driving a pair of monitor speakers (all under $100 BTW). Works fine with Airplay.

_B
Do the amp and the speakers connect to the Airport Express through Airplay?
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have AirPlay speakers which use both bluetooth and Wifi.

The bluetooth ones are just more reliable for me, they always come out of sleep and instantly re-pair and play.

But the AirPlay speakers are better quality, more suited to music. It also has a Lightning dock connector so I use that to recharge one of my devices every day. When it's docked, it's not using wireless.

There are many bluetooth speakers with rechargeable batteries for around $100 or well under. The portability is nice, not only letting you take from room to room but something small enough to pack for trips.

The tradeoff of course is that the small speakers can't fill up large rooms with music. I mostly listen to podcasts though so they're fine for that, especially since podcasts are encoded at lower quality and the speakers are near where I am, though they can go loud enough to be heard from other rooms.

For movies, I will AirPlay to AppleTV once in awhile. It depends on the app. For instance, the HBO Go app. will actually send Dolby Digital surround sound to my AV receiver, which feeds my surround sound system.

But other apps. such as VLC will only send stereo sound via AirPlay.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Do the amp and the speakers connect to the Airport Express through Airplay?
The amp/speakers connect directly/physically to the Airport Express (using it as the input source); the music source device (iPad, etc), connects wirelessly to the Airport Express via the Airplay function.

Similar to a Bluetooth connection, only using the Airport Express as the wireless connection device, and apparently much better fidelity.

_B
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
The current diversion
Old 02-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #11

The current diversion

Saw a Bose speaker bar for TV at Costco for $219 minus a $50 instant rebate IIRC. It's quite a lot better than the TV speakers, obviously. Plenty good for us. I don't need surround sound.

Turns out, it works quite well (bluetooth) for music. Works with Airplay if flinging a movie onto the TV.

Thanks for all the comments!
Old 02-10-2017, 07:07 PM   #12

I have a Jawbone Jambox too. I carry it around the house and use it to play music and audio from my iPad. I also have a Sonos system in the living room and a NAS that stores both our music and computer back ups.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:01 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

_B
I've found three Airport express units for $5 or so each at yard sales - and have been buying used Boston 735 computer speakers, which have an onboard amp, sub, and two tiny heavy satellites that sound remarkable to this Philistine's ears. From the computer we can have some or all of the individual airport/speaker sets play; from the Iphone we are limited to one set at a time.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:43 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
I've found three Airport express units for $5 or so each at yard sales - and have been buying used Boston 735 computer speakers, which have an onboard amp, sub, and two tiny heavy satellites that sound remarkable to this Philistine's ears. From the computer we can have some or all of the individual airport/speaker sets play; from the Iphone we are limited to one set at a time.
Has anyone not being an Apple fan, used this Airport express in a pc environment. I'm thinking setup might be an issue ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 05:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what speakers will work for you. I just enjoyed the request for some splainin.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I don't know what speakers will work for you. I just enjoyed the request for some splainin.
LOL.

LTF.*

*Love this forum.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Has anyone not being an Apple fan, used this Airport express in a pc environment. I'm thinking setup might be an issue ?
I would stay away from the Airport Express. The product hasn't been updated in four years, and Apple reassigned all of their engineers to other products, which likely means they are out of the hub/switch business.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
my lg sound bar has a remote. sounds great too
Old 02-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #19

This is one of those things that drives me mad! I use wireless through the house and apple airport expresses to drive Bose speakers in different rooms. The Bonjour networking gets flakey and different nodes drop off from time to time: my best solution was to manage everything with https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/ Airfoil. For me, it works beautifully. Every once in a while there's a hiccup, but it is mostly perfect.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

_B
Apple supports bluetooth quite naturally for music/audio. We connect various bluetooth headphones to our iOS devices and to our Apple TV all the time. Works very well. No need to invoke airplay.