Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Splurging
Old 08-19-2005, 11:51 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK now I don't feel too bad. As most car nuts have posted there are other choices than a Porsche that are just as fast or close to it. The model I would choose is the 2002 911 TWIN TURBO with 4xx hp. Yeah I know what are you gonna do with all that power...yada yada yada. I think I'll go test drive one soon.
BTW- We've been saving around 50% of our gross income for a few years so we know how to LBYM. This purchase would definately be a blip on the radar screen compared to our expenditures.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #22

I've always been a sports car fan - 2 MGA's, Porche 356, Volvo P1800, Fiero, BMW Z3.* * Sometimes you just need to splurge.* Porches are more likely to return your money when you sell them than most other cars.* Maybe you could call it an investment - not every investment needs to turn out great monetarily .*
Old 08-19-2005, 03:26 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud
I can not see the Spyder as a good car... my sister took a test drive and there was no place to put her purse!!!
The purse storage is behind the seats. But when I need to carry stuff, I take the F-350. I guess I forgot that part -- if you're going to splurge, you have buy both the MR2 and the F-350.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:41 PM   #24

Yes ... recently purchased a 100th Anniversary Harley Softail ... less than 1,300 miles on the bike, and bought it from an inside connection for wholesale. Can probably enjoy it for some time, and still not take too big a haircut when we sell.

But other than that, we generally look at "wish" books / 'net sites, but never buy what we don't really need. After awhile, it's true ... too many possessions, and they begin to own you ...

Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:06 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
OK now I don't feel too bad. As most car nuts have posted there are other choices than a Porsche that are just as fast or close to it. The model I would choose is the 2002 911 TWIN TURBO with 4xx hp.
An Autotrader search turned up 79 911Turbo's for 2001-2002 model years under $80k. Mostly 2001's. You simply have to buy the 6 speed over the tripronic. I saw a 2001 red one with 7k miles for $75k. If you buy one please post a picture so that we may live vicariously through your exploits

Just think, they were $120k + guzzler tax new. So figure about $55k for the 7k miles or just under $8/mile for the privelage of having a new one
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 07:44 AM   #26

For several months, i was itching to buy a Subaru WRX STi; awesome performance car, but pretty pricey. I think what finally got me off of that was the conflict with my ER mindset. If I bought one, every single day i got into it, I would be reminded that i'm really "just talk", not a true, savy FIRE individual. A car, as much as just about anything, I think inevitably reflects on your values, whether you like it or not. People look at what you drive, and form impressions; be they right or wrong.

Push comes to shove, i'd ultimately rather people thing of me as the frugal and wise with my money, not "wasteful".

Yes, i drive a sports car now (240sx), but fortunately since its 10.5 years old, I think i qualify for being thrifty anyway since in continue to drive it indefinitely and its paid for. I also only carry liability on it.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Call me crazy, but one of the attractions of FIRE for me is that I no longer have to give a rat's ass about what anyone (other than my spouse and kids) thinks of me.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Call me crazy, but one of the attractions of FIRE for me is that I no longer have to give a rat's ass about what anyone (other than my spouse and kids) thinks of me.
Do you give a rat's ass what you think of yourself?* *Buy a brand new STi, and when you get in it everyday, i assure you, you wont be thinking how smart of an FIRE person you are, unless you're into serious denial.

That was the crux of my point.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Oh boy, I guess I'm simple...beef tenderloin a couple of times a week makes me happy. :P That and buying a property every couple of years.
P.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by azanon
*People look at what you drive, and form impressions; be they right or wrong.* *

Push comes to shove, i'd ultimately rather people thing of me as the frugal and wise with my money, not "wasteful".*

az, the above statements were what I was commenting on. I'm sure it is fun to drive a spiffy new sports car, but your post seemed more concerned with what the car said about you to others rather than the intrinsic enjoyment you might get out of driving the car.

BWDIK...

- George Orwell

Old 08-22-2005, 09:10 AM   #31

I thought the emphasis was the other way around since i mentioned that first. *shrug* Regardless, I dont think developing complete apathy towards others perceptions of you is entirely healthy. But, as you just clarified, you don't care what i think (of you) so what does it matter anyway right?

Quote:
BWDIK...
?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I'm not interested in another pissing match, so let's just drop it, eh?

BWDIK = But What Do I Know

- George Orwell

Old 08-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #33

What else was there to say anyway?
Old 08-22-2005, 12:03 PM   #34

OK play nice boys. I get enough of that stuff at work :

Quote:
An Autotrader search turned up 79 911Turbo's for 2001-2002 model years under $80k. Mostly 2001's. You simply have to buy the 6 speed over the tripronic. I saw a 2001 red one with 7k miles for $75k. If you buy one please post a picture so that we may live vicariously through your exploits

Just think, they were $120k + guzzler tax new. So figure about $55k for the 7k miles or just under $8/mile for the privelage of having a new one
Targa,
I see the same prices on ebay. Now that is depreciation amplified especially if you look how little mileage is on these cars. I find it odd that the new Carrera S is just a fast as the 01-04 Twin Turbos and they both cost the same now.
Anyway it is a few years off. However, if you see a pic on this website you'll know that I crack $1M net worth
Old 08-22-2005, 01:31 PM   #35

Quote:
Anyway it is a few years off. However, if you see a pic on this website you'll know that I crack $1M net worth*
If you've got to splurge, that is the way to do it -- when it's a low percentage of your net worth, and you can quickly repair the damage through the magic of compounding.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:08 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK now I don't feel too bad. As most car nuts have posted there are other choices than a Porsche that are just as fast or close to it. The model I would choose is the 2002 911 TWIN TURBO with 4xx hp. Yeah I know what are you gonna do with all that power...yada yada yada. I think I'll go test drive one soon.
One of my kids owns one of these, in a beautiful blue color. If he hits it in 2nd or 3rd, the Gs just rip the glasses off my face. I have learned to take them off before getting in the car. Nothing like big low end torque to make you happy.

Porsche is flyng him down to Birmingham next week to drive one of their new Carreras on the big track down there.

Ha

« nm | The Tao »