Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Sponsoring children in other countries
Old 11-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sponsoring children in other countries

We just got a letter from a young girl we've been sponsoring in Honduras through Child Fund International. She included a picture as she does every year, since I assume it's required by the organization. The letter was a thank you for a recent birthday gift we had sent (money that the organization uses to help her buy things she needs). Every year the picture shows her sad face, never a smile. It did display a lot of the work she has done in her vocational training to become a seamstress. She's now a young lady and will probably be aging out of the program soon and we'll pick another child. It's been a rewarding experience for us, but after all these years I'd sure like to see a smile on that pretty girl's face.
Does anyone else sponsor children through this or another organization and have a story or opinion to share?
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 08:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
........ It's been a rewarding experience for us, but after all these years I'd sure like to see a smile on that pretty girl's face.
When she ages out, send her a check for $1000 and ask her for a selfie.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are sponsoring two children now and have done several before through WOrld Vision. We get letters, cards & pictures. Most seem pretty happy, what they did with our gift money. I think its a good idea and there are several organizations that use the system. I remember in the movie "About Schmidt' it was a contact that transformed his lonely life.
Lots of ways to give, we also work with Heifer International and Habitat for Humanity but nothinng comes as close as the years I was a Big Brother, so getting connected to a particular child, I think, is a good thing.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Our family sponsors several children through Compassion International. I've seen huge positive transformation in the kids we sponsor and have seen it spill over to their entire families.

Our sponsored kids do smile in their pictures!
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have regularly supported 1-2 kids through CFI for more than 30 years now. Started as student with the idea that, if I can find/earn enough money to study I could pull someone else and born in a more in a more troubled part of the world through, too.
Contact has been regular and not so tight but I have never had regrets. Letters and pictures are often rather standardised but that is not unusual in such countries where pictures are only made for 'official 'purpose anl letters hatdly written.
Never had regrets.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote