Join Early Retirement Today

sports and body
Old 08-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

sports and body

When you participate in sports at a young age does it take a toll on your body at an older age? soccer to badminton etc.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Oh God Yeah, my knees and fingers kill from playing football. Playing defensive line is not good for the body. I should've played badminton.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #3

Oh yeah.

Cycling has worn my knees down to nubs - I am still trying to learn how to ride slower (12 mph is my goal).
Hiking did the same to my ankles - very easy to twist now. I have to walk carefully on trails.
Beach volleyball gave me a back injury about 25 years ago that still acts up today.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:07 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Oh God Yeah, my knees and fingers kill from playing football. Playing defensive line is not good for the body. I should've played badminton.
Is it an annoying pain or is it a pain that restrict you to do what you want?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:09 PM   #5

I still do what I gotta do but my knees and fingers remind me all the time to slow down.
Thinking back, sports like football should only be played if your getting paid. Sorta makes the pain easier to handle.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks to my high jumping days, my neck and back are a mess. Funny, it didn't hurt 20 years ago........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Badminton is killer on your knees, ankles and hips. Not to mention elbows. Competitive badminton, not the backyard game. One of the fastest sports in the world.

I used to play a lot of baseball and soccer, but luckily got a couple of serious injuries early enough to make me quit while still being young enough to be able to recover completely. I have a number of friends that are now (in our 50s) becoming nearly disabled due to old sports injuries.

Unless you can be a pro and make a gazillion or so dollars at it, I recommend playing whatever at a slightly less intense level if you want to avoid injury.

Of course, you'll still hurt when you turn 50. It's just part of life. Like reading glasses at 40.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

One weak knee and ankle from a jumping spill with a young mare at a show, the owner asked me to school her over fences just this once. The horse was called, I swear, Lacy Underalls. She tried to pitch me off on three jumps, and tried to run out on the fourth. I hauled her back and she thanked me by running my leg right into a massive jump standard. Witch! I still hurt if I don't warm up properly, even after three years of working diligently with a trainer to build up muscle in that area.
Of course, I've never been to a doctor or anything silly like that to have it evaluated, then or now.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Oh God Yeah, my knees and fingers kill from playing football. Playing defensive line is not good for the body.
My somewhat older high-school friend, who 4F'ed out of Vietnam (but
volunteered anyhow, and said he had a ball, managing an officers'
club and juggling Vietnamese girlfriends), once told me "you just have
to play football and tear your body up, and the military won't want you".
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Thanks to my high jumping days, my neck and back are a mess. Funny, it didn't hurt 20 years ago........
When I first started high jumping as a freshman, we still had sawdust pits. Thud...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
When I first started high jumping as a freshman, we still had sawdust pits.
Sawdust! You must have attended one of those rich city schools. We had nothing but gravel...
Old 08-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #12

I play soccer and am 35 yo. I play once per week and have been playing off and on since I was 8 yo.

I think it helps me. If I don't stretch before and after my muscles talk to me for about 36 hours, but it goes away if I stay active (one of worst things you can do if you tweak a hammy or groin is to rest and only move muscle occasionally).
Old 08-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

I worked for several years in sports medicine and the answer to your question is YES !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 05:02 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

i've always thought that if you engage in sports you make your muscle and bones stronger. i guess to a certain degree. can you guys put the age when you start organize sport.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:09 PM   #15

Jr. HS I think I was around 19 or so.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
i've always thought that if you engage in sports you make your muscle and bones stronger. i guess to a certain degree. can you guys put the age when you start organize sport.
Your muscles and bones get stronger, but your joints get weaker. That is why I have to be so careful cycling - I can push hard enough to tear up my knees and ruin my ride in a very short time, because my leg muscles are still full strength.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:57 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

yes,

bone chips removed from right knee while crashing into the bleachers in basketball

broken left wrist while rollerblading

torn right rotator cuff while trying to dunk a basketball

left ankle sprains that led to recurring cysts

I feels the results of these every day
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:01 PM   #18

steve88, don't give a second thought to what you do to your knees early in life; just enjoy yourself. you'll never notice the damage in older age anyway. you'll be concentrating too much on the pain of arthritis that'll flare up by then everyplace else. getting old sucks.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
steve88, don't give a second thought to what you do to your knees early in life; just enjoy yourself. you'll never notice the damage in older age anyway. you'll be concentrating too much on the pain of arthritis that'll flare up by then everyplace else. getting old sucks.
Somewhere in your 40s previous injuries start saying: "Remember me?".
Old 08-27-2008, 06:28 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Somewhere in your 40s previous injuries start saying: "Remember me?".

I call it "the bills coming due"

Neck injury, Karate

Pulled my lower back - weights

Let's not discuss the knees...

'twas fun, though!

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote