Join Early Retirement Today

SQOTD, Hurricanes, Climate Change, Investing Opportunities
Old 09-12-2018, 01:44 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

SQOTD, Hurricanes, Climate Change, Investing Opportunities

Every year it seems like the current year is the hottest on record. Not arguing if climate change and global warming are man made or just the natural forces of nature. That said, one would think with the additional heat load and increasing evaporation rates into the atmosphere, these storms will only continue to bigger, more fierce and destructive. Now the engineers on the board can jump in and explain heat balances, heat transfer coefficients, etc. but the question I have is real basic, are there some good investment opportunities to be had besides the obvious ones like building materials. Something maybe along the lines of pro-active companies looking forward in anticipation of rising ocean levels, larger and more destructive hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Home depot
Old 09-12-2018, 02:24 PM   #3

The climate has varied during recorded history. I expect it to continue to do this.

Real investment opporunities? Doubtful.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #4

This!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Every year it seems like the current year is the hottest on record. Not arguing if climate change and global warming are man made or just the natural forces of nature. That said, one would think with the additional heat load and increasing evaporation rates into the atmosphere, these storms will only continue to bigger, more fierce and destructive. Now the engineers on the board can jump in and explain heat balances, heat transfer coefficients, etc. but the question I have is real basic, are there some good investment opportunities to be had besides the obvious ones like building materials. Something maybe along the lines of pro-active companies looking forward in anticipation of rising ocean levels, larger and more destructive hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.?

Perhaps a big-box cremation services company? Offering volume discount coupons?
HondoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

Real effects that will require mass (re)construction work are beyond the lifetime of most here. Perhaps during the 2100s such efforts will be needed in sufficient quantity to move the investment needle.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm by no means religious, but this comes to mind:

Quote:
And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
Matthew 24:6 King James Version

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueskies123 View Post
Home depot
I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if a seasonal trade on HD or LOW would work as a speculative strategy? Maybe something for the PUTS and CALLS thread...

Which, BTW, has nothing to do with climate change - hurricane season was around long before the industrial era. But huge cities on the coast weren't.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
... the question I have is real basic, are there some good investment opportunities to be had besides the obvious ones like building materials. ...
The efficient market hypothesis, which I generally believe has to be correct over the long term, would say that everyone knows these things so the consensus of their predicted effect is already reflected in the price of the stocks. IOW, there are no bargains to be had.

The behaviorists like Richard Thaler might speculate that these stocks are currently overpriced because the weather and climate change are such hot topics and many are thinking like you are.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote