Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
SS Privatization and Market Efficiencies
Old 02-10-2005, 05:33 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 123
SS Privatization and Market Efficiencies

Perhaps right now this is just a bit more that a mute pondering, but I was wondering how SS privatization might affect market efficiencies. I picture large volumes of dollars automatically pouring into indexed equity and bond funds regardless of market performance. Would these be sufficient to buffer the effects of the "rational" investor in the ups and downs of market performance. I guess this is somewhat like what many indexed investors are doing now, but we are in a small enough minority that our effect is not significant. I guess in technical terms I see this as reducing the standard deviation of returns and shortening the time to return to the mean. Maybe there is more or less to this than I would think about?
"He who speaks of dryer sheets has not seen the clothes line." Al B. Tross
Roger_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: SS Privatization and Market Efficiencies
Old 02-11-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 39
Re: SS Privatization and Market Efficiencies

Perhaps right now this is just a bit more that a mute pondering, but I was wondering how SS privatization might affect market efficiencies.
This is something I've been thinking about, and will be giving more thought to. Note that it is impossible for 100% of shares of stocks to be invested in index funds.

But let's say 90% of all shares of all stocks were owned by index funds. That's 90% of the shares that won't sell if bad things happen to the stock, that won't buy on news of earnings, acquisitions, etc. That leaves 10% of the shares in the hands of people who are (or may be) paying attention to the stock. I think that's a good thing for people who buy individual stocks.

What happens, then, if the 10% of the stocks in the hands of non-index-funds want to hold on to their shares? The price will skyrocket, as very few want to sell (and the index funds *must* pay whatever the sellers are asking).

On the other hand, though, the same can occur on the downside (but to a lesser extent, since 90% of the shares won't be sold).

I would guess that the effects would be very similar to an illiquid stock (such as one with a low market cap). It's harder to judge the value of such stocks, they are more susceptible to pump-and-dump schemes, etc.

Of course, I doubt 90% of the shares of stocks would get purchased by index funds. There's a balance somewhere. But as index funds become more commonly used investment vehicles (either through SS, or advice of financial planners, or whatever), I'm sure it will have some noticeable effect on the markets.

Day traders could have fun with this, too. On a day with good news that lifts the market, bad stocks would be much more likely to rise in price, and with bad news that causes people to get out of their index funds, the price of good stocks would go down.

One of these days, I should check what percentage of the stock market is owned by various index funds.
IDunno is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:39 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.