Join Early Retirement Today

SS Scam??
Old 02-13-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SS Scam??

Just received a robocall from the Social Security Administration from Texas. There's litigation against my social security number and they want me to call them. I imagine the scam starts when you make that call. No thanks.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:58 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Just received a robocall from the Social Security Administration from Texas. There's litigation against my social security number and they want me to call them. I imagine the scam starts when you make that call. No thanks.
Call them back from a separate number (local bar maybe) then give them a false name and a made up SSN. Have some fun.

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I have messages to call the IRS, SS and King Nadda in Nigera. Been a busy day.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Call them back from a separate number (local bar maybe) then give them a false name and a made up SSN. Have some fun.
Got the same call and yes had fun with them.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #5

Just in the last few days we've had calls from the U.S. Coast Guard (in West Virginia?) "Weed Man" "The Association" (of what?) and of course, the IRS.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Got one where they actually said (verbatim) "If you do not call us back we will call the cops and...." Call the cops?!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Just in the last few days we've had calls from the U.S. Coast Guard (in West Virginia?) "Weed Man" "The Association" (of what?) and of course, the IRS.
Bet you're sorry now that you checked that Dale Carnegie book out of the library. A little popularity is good, but you've obviously way overdone it.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Just received a robocall from the Social Security Administration from Texas. There's litigation against my social security number and they want me to call them.
I've gotten several calls from "Windows Support" recently telling me that my Windows license has expired and if I don't call them soon, they will wipe all my data.

Let's just say that I'm not all that worried...
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I heard this on the news, a really nice story:

"The Washington Post has an amusing story about phone scammer Keniel A. Thomas, who made the mistake of calling William H. Webster. Thomas told 90-year-old Webster that he had won $72 million and a new Mercedes Benz in the Mega Millions lottery, but that he needed to send $50,000 in taxes and fees to get his money. Thomas also told Webster he'd done his research on the top winner. "You're a great man," the scammer cajoled. "You was a judge, you was an attorney, you was a basketball player, you were in the U.S. Navy, homeland security. I know everything about you. I even seen your photograph, and I seen your precious wife."

Thomas's research didn't turn up everything. He didn't learn that the man he was calling was the former director of the FBI and the CIA, the only person ever to hold both jobs. And he didn't know that Webster would call him back the next day with the FBI listening in. Thomas was arrested in late 2017, after he landed in New York on a flight from Jamaica. He pleaded guilty in October and faced a prison term of 33 to 41 months under federal sentencing guidelines. But with Webster and his wife in the courtroom, Chief U.S. District Judge Beryl Howell on Friday added another 2 years to Thomas's sentence, giving him nearly six years to serve. Howell said that the scam qualified as "organized criminal activity" and that Thomas posed "a threat to a family member of the victim."
Old 02-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Yes, just go to a phone booth and make a crank call to the robocall. You actually could buy a throw away sim card and put it in your phone. There are also apps that make your phone number show differently.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

After I said hello, a few seconds later, “Eric“ introduced himself and asked for the business owner. I said, “Eric I’ll talk to you, but I need to know you’re telling me the truth. Number one. Did you dial this number yourself? Answer, “yes.” Eric, is this your real name? Answer, yes. Are you really calling from North Carolina? Yes.
“Eric, this is not your real name. Nobody in the history of India has ever been named “Eric.” You didn’t dial this number yourself, a computer did. You are not calling from North Carolina, you’re calling from India. You just lied to me three times and now you’re going to try trick me out of some of my money. OK, that’s where I’m at, let’s get this over with. Give me your best shot.
Click.
dasranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
Well, I personally never answer calls from someone if their number is not on my contact list. It's better than dealing with those spammers, though. Talking with them is just wasting our time. I just received some calls from 360-559-2975 since yesterday. I Googled the number and found some reports filed at https://www.whycall.me/360-559-2975.html since few months ago. I just block the number immediately.
lily80 is offline   Reply With Quote