Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-19-2019, 04:21 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

freezers could care less about room temperature/outside temperature. freezers remove the heat from the inside of the freezer, regardless of the outside temp. and yes, I have a freezer in my garage. it's a small chest type.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:35 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Any strong opinions about chest vs. upright freezers for the garage? The one mentioned by Telly earlier looks good but I see Lowes has a smaller chest type one for about $300 less. However, I'm guessing it's a pain to get to stuff in the bottom of the freezer.
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Any strong opinions about chest vs. upright freezers for the garage? The one mentioned by Telly earlier looks good but I see Lowes has a smaller chest type one for about $300 less. However, I'm guessing it's a pain to get to stuff in the bottom of the freezer.
This. We have a chest freezer and I am not a fan. It's difficult to fit stuff "just right" and we have a lot of "duplicates" of stuff because we thought that we were out of an item...but it was just buried under a bunch of other stuff. My Dad had an upright and it was easy to see what was there and to access. So, yes...I would highly recommend an upright.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:46 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmm, that is the first time I ever heard this. I have always been told that using a refrigerator or freezer in high temps places stress on the compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
freezers could care less about room temperature/outside temperature. freezers remove the heat from the inside of the freezer, regardless of the outside temp. and yes, I have a freezer in my garage. it's a small chest type.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

We have always had the freezer type that looks like a small, chunky refrigerator with several interior shelves, plus storage in the door itself. It would be a nuisance to have to dig through layers of frozen food to get at what's on the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:32 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
Hmm, that is the first time I ever heard this. I have always been told that using a refrigerator or freezer in high temps places stress on the compressor.
Good, because kitesurfer2's information is wrong, on several levels (and I assume he meant "couldn't care less"?).

Yes, freezers remove heat from the inside, but they have to 'dump' that heat to the outside. The colder it is outside, the more efficient that heat transfer is. Think "delta T". It's really common sense, as we observe it in our daily lives. A hot cup of coffee certainly cools faster if you put it outside on a winter day, versus a hot summer day.

And the other affect is insulation - a hot garage will conduct more heat through the walls into the freezer, causing it to run more often/longer. Clearly, if it is near freezing in our garage in winter, our freezer barely runs.

Be careful about adding insulation to the walls of a freezer, some of them use the cabinet to dissipate the heat.

As Texas Proud mentioned earlier, I've found that freezers seem to be designed to run about 50% duty cycle under normal conditions, so even if running 100% of the time on a hot day, the bill really can't do more than double over that time.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #27

We have had both. Got tired on the chest freezer and we were not unhappy when our pre-owned unit packed it in. Really...it was much akin to dumpster diving to find anything.

Our current upright is so much better. We would never consider a chest freezer again. Just a like a fridge. Sure it cost a little more but so what. Over twenty odd years or so the difference is minor.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #28
Dryer sheet wannabe

I guess we are weird but I think a chest freezer wins on a few key areas. It is a PITA to get to lower items but we have racks that fit in there that allow most of the same convenience as an upright.

The benefits, especially if you are in and out of it a lot is that you don't lose all the cold air, dumping out of the front when you open the door.

A bigger benefit is that they stay colder longer in power outage situations, which Florida is famous for. We always have 4, 1 gallon jugs of water stored in there for throwing in our camping cooler when we go camping. These help maintain the temperature if the power goes out.

Just a few counter thoughts. YMMV
Odiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:32 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
The compressor would most likely be just fine. Most compressors for commercial refrigeration are up on the roof...and that gets MIGHTY hot.
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, freezer, garage