Star Wars - are you going to see it?

Went to see Star Wars yesterday. We enjoyed the film, old stars and new alike. :)

Went to see it at a matinee since DW wasn't interested. Saw it in 3D since that showing fit my schedule. 3D was a waste of money for this one. You'd be more than fine with 2D.

The movie ? Maybe 7 out of 10. 7.5 ? It is very, very much a remake of the first one, both plot and character wise. Nobody can realistically claim it wasn't.
That said, it was entertaining, beautifully shot and with a good balance between practical and CGI effects so it wasn't glitzy/bland like the Lucas prequels.

I think JJ Abrams is more suited to Star Wars than Star Trek. He should stick to that and give Trek back to someone more in tune with that series. His Trek remakes have not been good (bar the casting/acting which has been pretty good)

I saw it twice, in 2D and 3. Loved it in 3D, definitely worth the extra $2 or whatever. I haven't seen the first execrable episodes since they came out in theaters 15-8 years ago, And I'm still trying to forget them. I'm glad Disney didn't include Lucas in this recent movie; I think his genius started to fade quickly in the 80's.

I think The Force Awakens was a great reboot. I'm not sure why some folks get huffy that it was so similar to episode 4. How many remakes of Batman are there, and some of those reboot in just a decade. It's been nearly forty years since A New Hope. And as one of my favorite authors likes to say, "History may not repeat itself, but it certainly rhymes." Each generation makes some of the same mistakes as that of their fathers.

My impression was that they filmed as many homage scenes and lines as they could think of and then edited a bunch out to keep the pace of the movie from getting clumsy. I felt they did a good job. I'd give it at least 4/5 stars and would say this movie is as good as A New Hope and better than Return of the Jedi. Empire is still my favorite; that likely won't change.

I'll wait for pay per view ...

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

I saw it today (a 10:30 AM show) with my ladyfriend. Her popcorn wasn't hot enough and one of the many brats in the audience (sitting behind her) was kicking her seat a lot. But it was a new experience seeing a movie in 3d for the first time ever. My LF had a bunch of theater gift cards so it didn't really cost us anything to see it. I give the movie 3 stars, it was pretty good but hardly spectacular.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom