Join Early Retirement Today

Stare into the lights my pretties
Old 09-08-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

It's a 2 hour+ documentary that presents the current and future view of technology as it relates to our world.

I sent a link to my son and have quoted his reply, below:

Quote:
I just finished this documentary. Wow! That was impactful and revelatory. Makes you question how much of one's beliefs are really a product of their own thoughts and experiences, and how much is shaped by the data that is presented to us based on our online "profiles".

I fear for the younger generations in that they've never known a time when there weren't screens to interact with. Original thoughts and opinions seem to no longer be possible. Privacy is a myth, and not taking measures to protect your identity seems to be irresponsible in light of how one's habits and ideas can be used at any time as justification for persecution or prosecution.
The link is to youtube, but the documentary is available on many websites and video channels. Search the title for other video stations and reviews.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Administrator

From IMDB https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7762882/

Quote:
We live in a world of screens. The average adult spends the majority of their waking hours in front of some sort of screen or device. We're enthralled, we're addicted to these machines. How did we get here? Who benefits? What are the cumulative impacts on people, society and the environment? What may come next if this culture is left unchecked, to its end trajectory, and is that what we want?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I see it happening around me.

Though I feel that I must stay 'un-plugged' as much as possible. To remain in control of my own mind.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for posting, very interesting documentary.

VW
Old 09-10-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

If that documentary was made in the 1920s, it might focus on the technical fad of those times that had the same effect...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crystal-radio-a.jpg (20.8 KB, 134 views)
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting the link to the video.

I read something on CNN that really shocked me. The article was talking about how 20-somethings are no longer dating, they are mostly just hooking up - especially in cities and on college campuses. Young people know their in-person social skills are bad so they use Tinder, etc, to find dates / sex. This has been the new norm for several years now and I've been gradually hearing more and more about this. Will these young people ever mature to become adults capable of good relationships, marriages, and families? Yikes!

And many of these young people are writing Artificial Intelligence code. AI based on these ethics? Yikes!

I've been stuck in a small town big on sports for a few years for a project. (Hopefully I can leave in 2019.) I yearn for civilization including intelligent conversation and the arts.

I don't participate in Facebook or Twitter. I don't watch TV. But I am grateful for the internet (news, forums, DuckDuckGo, and podcasts) and the library which will bring any item in the state to my local library when I request it.

While I readily admit to spending too much time on the computer and listening to podcasts via smartphone, I can't wait to move to a city where I can get back to participating in discussions (in person!), viewing and supporting the arts, and doing volunteer work with interesting people.

These machines are saving my sanity and intelligence right now and I'm grateful.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I personally wish I grew up with access to something like Tinder.

The kids will be just fine. What exactly is unethical about wanting to have some casual sex in your youth? Anybody take a look around at what this great "mature" generation has been up to for the past few decades causing the whole metoo movement?
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

1984 should be mandatory reading. If they can still read complete sentences.
Old 09-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing!!
CDRE is offline   Reply With Quote