StarWars Ennealogy Nears Completion

camfused

Full time employment: Posting here.
I am psyched that the final Star Wars movie in the 9 story franchise is coming soon.

On May 25, 1977, I was in high school and on a date with Maria something-or-other (I forget her last name). We went to dinner and decided to catch a movie. We pulled up to this theater and they were playing some sort of movie called Star Wars (never heard of it), and there was a bit of a line, but we said sure okay. We walked into the theater and it was packed, the only two seats we could find we the front row center (it seemed like just feet from the screen). So much for making out in the back of the theater! People were sitting on the floor in the aisles.

Well, the opening scene where the Imperial cruiser comes over head and is shooting at the rebel ship, was jaw dropping cool. I was instantly hooked. There had never been anything like it before that (yes, 2001 was great but did not have the action-adventure story).

So, I have seen all 8 movies on the opening day, and plan to keep my streak going for the 9th one.

Anyway, check out the latest trailer Episode 9 for the final movie. And, Maria, I hope you remember too, wherever you are.

Any other Star Wars nerds here?

Last edited:
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away

In 1977 I heard that a new movie called "Star Wars" was a fun spectacle. So my girlfriend and I went to see it at the Uptown theater NW DC, a great old movie house with balcony seating. We got there about noon, figuring we'd catch the 1:00 matinee.

Well, the line stretched about a mile up Connecticut Avenue, and that was for people who already had tickets. We managed to get tickets for the 6:00 show, and, rather than sit on the sidewalk we strolled a few blocks southward and spent the afternoon at the National Zoo.

About 5:30 we meandered back to the theater just as the previous performance was letting out. We got our popcorn and settled in.

It was well worth the wait. I was blown away. Everything about that movie was brilliantly done. The rolling prologue, the Imperial Destroyer a thousand times the size of Leia's spaceship (it just kept going!), John Williams' stirring soundtrack, a classic Hero's Journey plotline, cleverly drawn characters including hands down the greatest villain in cinema history, explosions, swordfights... It even planted the seed for sequels when The Dark Lord didn't perish in the climactic destruction of the Death Star.

Needless to say, I had that music running through my head for days, and more than once imagined using the force to choke off a smartass or two whose mouth ran on too far.

When "Empire" and "Jedi" came out, I devoured them. I was sorely disappointed when I learned that no more movies were forthcoming.

However, wind the clock forward about 15 years, and the prequel "Phantom Menace" was going to be released with lots of fanfare. By this time, I was grown up and working and had 5 children and didn't even live in the DC area any more. But I remembered how magic that first movie was, so we loaded up the van and drove back to DC so my kids could experience what had so mesmerized me in my youth.

We arrived at the Uptown theater, found it once again jam packed, bought tickets for a later showing, and spent the afternoon at the Zoo before snuggling in and waiting for music to cue up.

Was it the same? Of course not. Too much CGI, the plot was erratic, and no Darth Vader. Like everybody else, I wouldn't have been sorry to see Jar Jar get eaten. But Liam Neeson did a great job as the mentor character, and his epic lightsaber duel at the end was every bit as good a swordfight as in any Errol Flynn or Tyrone Power movie from the golden age of Hollywood.

"Final movie"? Don't bet on it. Major studios these days are known for repackaging concepts many times. Disney didn't buy the franchise from Mr. Lucas to NOT milk it forever.

I saw the original Star Wars at the Coronet in San Francisco with my family. We lived in Marin, but had to go into the city to see it because it wasn't playing anywhere else. I still remember the lines out on the sidewalks even though it was weeks after it had opened and it seemed like we were the very last ones to see it. SFGate did a fun nostalgia piece about the theater and Star Wars a few years ago: https://blog.sfgate.com/thebigevent/2013/05/27/star-wars-and-the-coronet-in-1977-an-oral-history/

I've seen Return of the Jedi and all the ones since then with a group of friends from college. Yesterday we bought tickets to see episode 9 at the Chinese Theater in Hollywood on opening night. It seems fitting to see the last one in a historic place.

"Final movie"? Don't bet on it. Major studios these days are known for repackaging concepts many times. Disney didn't buy the franchise from Mr. Lucas to NOT milk it forever.

It's just the end of the current story line, there are already plans for future Star War movies.

I remember the first time I saw Star Wars. I was 14 at the time and saw it in a large theater (this was back when we still had large theaters and before they got revamped and sliced into tiny closet-sized multiplexes) in Hicksville, Long Island (NY).

Part of the way through the movie, the film broke. There were lots of booing and hissing and other rude remarks such as, "My grandmother can run that [projector] better than you!" After a short delay, the movie continued and completed without any further problems.

I went on opening night in Westwood at a huge theater on Wilshire Boulevard. Lined up for hours with the guy I ended up marrying.

It was awesome.

I miss the spectacle of seeing movies in a theatre with hundreds of people and huge screen.

That’s for sure. Disney paid $4B for the franchise, so they’ll need to make lots more films to make that investment pay.

I miss the spectacle of seeing movies in a theatre with hundreds of people and huge screen.

You can still do that if you find the right theater, but be prepared for nearly constant aggravation as your fellow movie-goers phones buzz, bleep, ring, and light up throughout the entire movie.

IMHO, watching a movie at home on my big flat-screen without any distractions or annoyances is the only way to truly enjoy the experience these days. Long gone are the days when the entire audience would (for the most part) sit politely in rapt silence, awestruck at the spectacle of what they were seeing onscreen.

You can still do that if you find the right theater, but be prepared for nearly constant aggravation as your fellow movie-goers phones buzz, bleep, ring, and light up throughout the entire movie.

IMHO, watching a movie at home on my big flat-screen without any distractions or annoyances is the only way to truly enjoy the experience these days. Long gone are the days when the entire audience would (for the most part) sit politely in rapt silence, awestruck at the spectacle of what they were seeing onscreen.

It's a rare occurrence that I am bothered by other theater goers. I think this is mainly due to the ear-splitting volume levels that are common these days. I think I mutter the phrase, "Are you kidding me?" every single time the audio begins.

I adored the first two Star Wars flicks and saw them both in the theater several times when I was a teen. None of the remaining installments have brought me back for a second showing. By far the most memorable moment for me was the first time I watched the Falcon 'make the jump to hyperspace'. That floored me...I wanted to see it over and over.

...I miss the spectacle of seeing movies in a theatre with hundreds of people and huge screen...

Well, yeah, but I also remember when, on my first date (another girl), I saw a revival showing of Gone With The Wind. It was in a theater that had the AC set at sub-arctic levels, and they played the whole movie without a break. I was already nervous because of the date, freezing my #()*#(* off, and having to pee bad.

So, while I love the big screen experience, I gotta agree that my 65" TV with surround-sound, etc, and comfy chair does a pretty good job.

Having said all that, about a year ago we went to an art house theater where they showed My Big Fat Greek Wedding. It was so cool to be in a theater where people are laughing out loud at the funny parts (and there are many). It adds to the enjoyment of that type of movie.

At the same place, every Christmas, they show Its a Wonderful Life. It is SO much better to watch it on a really big screen and to see it in the same way people did in 1947.

Our family will see it on Christmas Day followed by the traditional spaghetti and meatball Christmas dinner!

I saw the original Star Wars on opening day in 1977, when I was just about to graduate from high school. The ticket line was wrapped all the way around the theater. My girlfriend at the time had some connection with the people who owned the theater, so we didn't have to wait in the line. It was pretty awesome.

I have not seen another movie in the franchise since.

When it's all over, I'd like to binge-watch the whole series, with the sequels and prequels all re-arranged in the proper timeline.

I'm not a big movie fan, and frankly don't get that into the characters or even the plot. But I have to admit the first couple were pretty good, even though the story line was absolutely stolen from all the classic tropes going back to Shakespeare.

Funny thing is I never realize how OLD the franchise is. I always feel like I first saw it with my kids, who were born in the '80s. I remember nothing about when it first came out. But I'm sure I saw it then.

I’m stoked. I hope it’s a bit better than the last one and worthy of the franchise.

Unfair criticism

But I have to admit the first couple were pretty good, even though the story line was absolutely stolen from all the classic tropes going back to Shakespeare.

You do George Lucas an injustice. The "Hero's Journey" is the most classic story pattern throughout all of human history, dating back at least 5000 years ago to the "Epic of Gilgamesh" from ancient Sumeria. It's not Shakespeare's any more than it was Homer's.

It arises in completely different cultures, so its familiarity probably has something to do with how our human brains are wired. Just because other authors followed the same plot in hundreds of other popular stories including "The Wizard of Oz", "The Lord of the Rings" and "Harry Potter" isn't a reason not to use it again if you have a fresh twist to explore.

In its day, the special effects in the 1st Star Wars movie were revolutionary, which gained it lots of attention. Also, the soundtrack was superb and the characters were engaging (although I didn't really warm to Leia until the third movie when Jabba the Hutt put her in that bronze bikini - hubba hubba!)

But mostly the universality of the plot is why Star Wars remains such a good show. For the writers in this audience who want to learn more, a couple of good reads on the subject are "The Hero With a Thousand Faces" by Joseph Campbell, and "Agile Writer: Method" by Greg Smith.

Lucas didn't "steal" the story line any more than he "stole" the concept of space travel or bipedal hominids. He took a framework that has been in the public domain for millenia and added his own ideas.

I saw the first Star Wars in the movie theater when it came out and wasn't overly impressed. I thought it was just another generic modern day cowboys and Indians pic and I didn't care enough to see any of the other movies in the series.

Just hit up an Alamo Draft House. They seriously frown on that behavior and they will kick people out...without flinching. Attached is a trailer they play(ed) before the movie started.

But, I agree...there is NO place like home for movies/sports/etc.

Too bad movies #1-#3 were so...meh.

IIRC, one actor has made his own personal cut where he combined the first three into a single movie worth watching...shown to those lucky enough to get invited to his house.

The sooner they get off this recycled story arc and the same old characters and get into a fresh plot line and time line can't come soon enough for me.

I thought Rogue One was good for precisely the reason that it had new characters. Same old timeline though, but at least it had a fresh vibe to it.

I completed my quest last night of seeing all 9 movies on their opening night. My life now has no purpose.

BTW, I liked it, and thought they closed it up about as well as you could.

<mod hat on>

I'm sure it goes without saying, but please, no spoilers, not even "well I'm glad so-and-so did/didn't die" or "i didn't care for the part with the guy with the thing" even if it's not meaningful to the story.

nothing.

thanks

<mod hat off>

I saw it last night and thought it was mediocre at best. Definitely about a 3 or 4 out of 10. Caveats:

- I haven't particularly liked any of these three latest [-]remakes[/-] movies.
- I did like Rogue One quite a bit and thought Solo was better than most people.
- there was a ton of "fan service" including stuff that didn't make sense.
- the plot often became nonsensical and even contradictory.
- JJ Abrams is terrible. There, I said it. I think in future I will swear off his movies. For me he ruined the Trek movies he made and now the Star Wars ones as well.
- I find a good episode of The Mandalorian is better than this was.

I saw the first Star Wars in the movie theater when it came out and wasn't overly impressed. I thought it was just another generic modern day cowboys and Indians pic and I didn't care enough to see any of the other movies in the series.

Well, shortly after posting that my GF found out that I only saw the original in the theatre 30+ years ago. Now she wants to watch all 9 in them in the "recommended" order with me... :facepalm::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom