State by State Climate Data NOAA

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am NOT hoping to open a debate about climate change, this data alone doesn't prove anything - please start your own thread if that's your wish. I just thought this was really interesting.

A few observations that struck me:

• The most populous areas have had the greatest average temperature increases 2010-2014, California and New England.
  • Washington, the midwest and southeast Atlantic states less so.
  • And Mississippi and Alabama have had the most moderate change.
  • And the midwestern state I'm in has had some increase - but it's almost entirely due to warmer winters (that's not bad to me). There's been essentially no increase in summer temperatures near me.
If you want to check your states: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-precip/state-temps/

Last edited:
Very interesting. Both of the states that we spend time in show steady increases in temperature from the early-mid 1970s... 2F for Vermont and 1F for Florida.

It is also interesting how the graphs vary between seasons... some are smooth and others are volatile.

Very interesting data set, and thanks for bringing up the subject.

Combine with ocean temp data set for a complete picture. It is a very complicated picture, and hard for average citizen to grasp. I think that is why individuals take sides in the discussion.

I think the wild card in this may be oceans, which are so vast and not easily set in one direction or the other. They pretty much go where the moon tells them.

I just know that as a kid, by me I could count that around Christmas the weather was cold and around July 4th, the weather was hot. In today's world, all bets are off on either.

Very interesting data set, and thanks for bringing up the subject.

Combine with ocean temp data set for a complete picture. It is a very complicated picture, and hard for average citizen to grasp. I think that is why individuals take sides in the discussion.

I think the wild card in this may be oceans, which are so vast and not easily set in one direction or the other. They pretty much go where the moon tells them.
Agree, I'd add ice melt, just another metric along the same lines as ocean temp.

we've gone up about 2 degrees in the last 100+ years, but we are freezing our heinies off right now - coldest winter since we moved here

44north cold steppe - we get all 4 seasons on the dot

I am NOT hoping to open a debate about climate change, this data alone doesn't prove anything - please start your own thread if that's your wish. I just thought this was really interesting.

If you didn't want a debate, maybe you should have highlighted in colors other than red and blue. :)

A few observations that struck me:

• The most populous areas have had the greatest average temperature increases 2010-2014, California and New England.
  • Washington, the midwest and southeast Atlantic states less so.
  • And Mississippi and Alabama have had the most moderate change.
  • And the midwestern state I'm in has had some increase - but it's almost entirely due to warmer winters (that's not bad to me). There's been essentially no increase in summer temperatures near me.
If you want to check your states: https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/temp-and-precip/state-temps/

Interesting, had not seen this before. Yes, Illinois/Indiana changes aren't bad at all!

I'm not sure your wording (that I bolded) matches that graph though, but the wording is kinda tricky. That shows the average temperature of those states in 2010-2014, compared to the 20th century average. Your wording seems to say the chart represents the temperature increases from 2010 to 2014. And they could be correlated, but it could even mean that that temp rise occurred late in the 20th century, and actually decreased ~ 2010-2014, relative to other areas. Sort of hard to determine which. I'm not saying that to criticize in any way, just trying to clarify.

I just know that as a kid, by me I could count that around Christmas the weather was cold and around July 4th, the weather was hot. In today's world, all bets are off on either.

Memories can trick us. Does the data show any of that?

If you didn't want a debate, maybe you should have highlighted in colors other than red and blue.
:) That reminds me of something else I saw regarding climate change and graphs and red and blue, but I'll start another thread if I chose to bring that up.

-ERD50

As a kid around age 5 or 6 the snow was always knee deep. But only shoe height to my much older brother.

Memories can trick us. Does the data show any of that?

-ERD50

Why is it that I believe as a kid instead of collecting fireflies you were out collecting data :(.

Back
Top Bottom