Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I noticed that GasBuddy was struggling a couple of times yesterday. I've been driving around more than usual last few days getting things for the garden and yard. And of course filling up the usual lawnmower and small engine gas cans. No sign or talk of any panic around here although perhaps there should be with the Governor of Michigan demanding that the pipeline the brings western Canadian crude to Ontario refineries (and thus runs through Michigan) be shut down. Hopefully gets sorted out.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #102
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a thought.

Will Texas reverse its laws that require cars to be sold through a dealer? Perhaps, a few more Teslas on the road will save some gas for the rest of the Texas drivers.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:15 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Just a thought.

Will Texas reverse its laws that require cars to be sold through a dealer? Perhaps, a few more Teslas on the road will save some gas for the rest of the Texas drivers.
Don't hold your breath. The Texas Auto Dealers Association spends big bucks bri...uh, lobbying the state legislature to keep the law unchanged.
Old 05-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
They declare price gouging on gas to be illegal and yet lumber gouging is just fine!
Gouging is in the eyes of the beholder buyer.

I think smartphone makers are gouging too, but nobody says anything about it.

Well, some say it depends on whether something is a necessity vs. a discretionary item. One has to drive, but nobody dies without a new deck.

But even that is not absolute either. A lot of people would die without their smartphones too.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
We really do not know these people's needs though. So hard to judge.

Some people in this area are preparing to pick kids up from college. Another I know is taking a 1400 mile car trip to take a daughter to location of summer internship.

Need gas for those things, and right into the teeth of this shortage.

Thanks for this post.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
Maybe they thought you were panic buying. Gasoline, toilet paper, meat, pool chlorine, and soap. What next?
I know!
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
I haven't been to the town since Monday evening. Monday evening was fine at a Murphy gas station in Rockwall, TX. In fact, this was my once in a year trip to fill up 50 gallons worth of Puregas (Ethanol-free) for an army of small engines I have at the farm. I would have been real mad if I had to drive 2 hours round trip for nothing. There are very few gas stations around here who has Puregas.
I just checked a couple of manufacturers - don't see any restrictions for fuel for small engines except 87 octane, unleaded.

I think the issue with ethanol in gas related to the fuel line material used - I believe this has all changed.

Now, if you have old engines with original fuel lines, sure nuff, the ethanol will help you identify them :-)
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

I had to travel about 90 miles to take my 90 year old mother to the doctor today and just arrived back home. Most all gas stations I saw were out of gas. The very few that had gas had very long lines, one had a line that stretched at least a quarter of a mile. I saw many cars abandoned along the road, I assume out of gas. I was fortunate to have enough gas to get back home but my tank is approaching empty so no more driving for me until the local stations get some gasoline. I hope that does not take too long. Fortunately where I live there is a good bus system that I will have to use until then.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Out of curiosity, during my afternoon errands, I checked with a couple of gas stations in our area of the DMV. No long lines. Lines at Costco where the normal length (and still amazed at the much shorter "pump-on-the-right-side-of-the-car" lines, a lot of folks still have not gotten the memo ). Costco did have signs posted: "limit of 2 gas storage containers per transaction". Other than that, all was calm.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:43 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I had to travel about 90 miles to take my 90 year old mother to the doctor today and just arrived back home. Most all gas stations I saw were out of gas. The very few that had gas had very long lines, one had a line that stretched at least a quarter of a mile. I saw many cars abandoned along the road, I assume out of gas. I was fortunate to have enough gas to get back home but my tank is approaching empty so no more driving for me until the local stations get some gasoline. I hope that does not take too long. Fortunately where I live there is a good bus system that I will have to use until then.
Glad you were able to do your trip and get home safely.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:45 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

For TX - I think this must have just been a Valley thing. We still saw many stations with covered nozzles today and no one at the pumps. The Costco gas station, however, looked normal busy.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:58 PM   #112
Recycles dryer sheets

harlee I'm relieved you made it home. Hope you get fuel soon.
audreyh1 I got fueled up today at same price as it was days ago, I hope its a local problem that will be fixed soon for you.
arbeadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:06 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

I wonder why this gas shortage has hit my state of North Carolina so hard? It can't just be hoarding. The local news tonight said that over 75% of all gas stations in NC were totally out of gas.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I do think the pipeline stoppage affected some states badly. Distribution was disrupted.

But people panic buying definitely exacerbated the problem. https://abc11.com/nc-gas-shortage-bu...tion/10624714/
Old 05-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm glad you are back home, but I'm sure that was in no way, shape or form a good trip.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #116
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gulf coast refineries are having to cut back due to the Colonial pipeline being down, so they can't reach the east coast market as easily.

I didn't follow this story too closely, the federal gov't regularly suspends the Jones act in emergencies (Jones Act forces US flagged vessels to be used if the ship goes from one US port to another, the normal fleet moving big quantities of fuel aren't US flagged). If it were suspended, then ships could have gotten from the gulf to the east coast in about a week, so would have been there by now.

That's emergency management 101, anybody know if that was done?
Exchme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 05:14 AM   #117

I've read conflicting reports about whether or not Colonial has paid the ransom to the extortionists. How much can it cost to keep a data system secure from predators? That much?
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:29 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Gouging is in the eyes of the beholder buyer.

I think smartphone makers are gouging too, but nobody says anything about it.

Well, some say it depends on whether something is a necessity vs. a discretionary item. One has to drive, but nobody dies without a new deck.

But even that is not absolute either. A lot of people would die without their smartphones too.
Quite the opposite. Smartphones should cost more than double what they do. Slave labor is being used in other countries to keep costs down and keep profits up for those companies. If smartphones were built in the US, they'd be $2500+ each.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #119

Quote:
I wonder why this gas shortage has hit my state of North Carolina so hard? It can't just be hoarding. The local news tonight said that over 75% of all gas stations in NC were totally out of gas.
Yep, its panic buying. Same for anything else that gets bought during panic mode.

When is the last time you went into any store and couldnt find a snickers bar? Not that I buy snickers but im assuming you can go anywhere at any time and find one. Yeah yeah, we know what assume means. Anyway, if everyone in your city/state decides to buy a snickers at the same time, there wont be any snickers bars left in that state. Same thing is happening for gasoline.

No, there is never enough to satisfy every single person at the same time. Most of the time, its not an issue. Not everyone is trying to fill up at the same time/day. Thanks to the news and doom and gloom, they are. Its great for mainstream though.

What I find more fascinating is how easily people are manipulated. We dont even realize how easy we are to control. Of course, everyone will deny it, which is also pre programmed in us.
ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 07:51 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
I've read conflicting reports about whether or not Colonial has paid the ransom to the extortionists. How much can it cost to keep a data system secure from predators? That much?
According to DW, they paid "5 million Bitcoin", but she probably meant $USD 5 million in Bitcoin.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote