Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Stations out of Gas TX
Old 05-12-2021, 09:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stations out of Gas TX

A neighbor reported this morning that she visited six gas stations before she finally found one with gas. As it happened we were below 1/4 tank and planning to fill up at Costco tomorrow, but that’s kind of far, so I went to the close place she found, not wanting to take my chances.

I suppose it’s just locals frightened by headlines and stocking up? There’s nothing except that pipeline ransomware shutdown which is now back up.

I don’t see anything about any TX gas shortage.

Locals may be trigger happy because we did have long gas lines during the big Deep Freeze this Feb. Our car was mostly full back then so we were able to wait.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 09:53 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think it is a knee-jerk reaction to what folks are seeing on the news. Absolutely no impact to the gasoline/diesel supply in TX due to the Colonial pipeline shutdown.

We're about to drive into town for lunch. Curious as to what I will see at our local gas stations.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

OK - it's happening in the SouthEast, but I didn't here about it happening in TX.

Gas stations in the Southeast run out of gas as people panic-buy fuel https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/12/busin...ine/index.html

And I guess the pipeline is still shutdown.

DH says the ransom gang said: "We don't want to inconvenience anybody, we just want money."
Old 05-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just filled up this morning, 30-40 minutes north of Austin. Seems all the gas stations are open here. Regular running between $2.59 and $2.69 (didn't pass by Costco - Randall's was $2.49). No lines.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I think it is a knee-jerk reaction to what folks are seeing on the news. Absolutely no impact to the gasoline/diesel supply in TX due to the Colonial pipeline shutdown.

We're about to drive into town for lunch. Curious as to what I will see at our local gas stations.
I was pretty shocked that the neighbor reported finding 6 stations out of gas before finally finding one with gas.

According to KSAT there is no gas shortage in TX. I guess folks here decided to make one?
https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2021...s-experts-say/
Old 05-12-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Love how the media calls it panic buying.. because that blames us...

If you filled up your car
yesterday instead of Friday how is that panic buying?

How do you panic buy gas, you can't stick in your basement like you do TP?

You would think after Covid people would realize how "just in time" this country runs for essentials. This hap[ens somewhere every year when they forecast hurricanes.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well, if you are dragging a bunch of containers to the gas station to fill them up with fuel that probably counts. The article about the Southeast describes that.

But in our case we (mostly) filled up today instead of tomorrow......
Old 05-12-2021, 10:19 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, if you are dragging a bunch of containers to the gas station to fill them up with fuel that probably counts.

It more likely that families have 2 or 3 cars and are filling them all up at the same time. Thinking about this people who have to count every dollar are in a bad spot here. They don't have the option to go pump an extra 100 dollars worth of gas on a whim.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #9

Had to fill my minivan last night in Virginia. First station was out of gas, and the second one was out of premium. Not a problem for me, but the guy next to me was filling his Porsche with the "cheap stuff" and not happy about that. Then I come home, and watch Sec'y Granholm say that there is no shortage. Well maybe not for her, but in my neighborhood there certainly is a shortage.

I don't think the governor did Virginia any favors by declaring an emergency, because that's when everyone went into a buying frenzy.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

As usual, we ignore panics till it's too late. We have half a tank, but didn't fill up yesterday when we should have. Some fellows working on the kitchen told me they were late because they waited 45 minutes for gas.

FL governor has declared a state of emergency telling gas stations not to gouge prices.

Also, Gasbuddy is down.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Love how the media calls it panic buying.. because that blames us...

How do you panic buy gas, you can't stick in your basement like you do TP?

I think the media got it right this time as far as panic buying being the collective our fault.
Panic buying of gasoline can happen when everyone decides they need a full tank at or near the same time. Such as when the media keeps telling us there is a crisis (like now). "This too shall pass, don't panic" would be a better message.

The average car on the road today has a tank that is half full to 5/8ths full. I assume this by the very nature of the word "average". If the typical tank is 16 gallons, and everyone decides to go out and buy (on average) 3/8ths of a tank or 6 gallons at or near the same time - voila - shortage! The supply chain in place for gasoline relies on steady demand. Put in a 37.5% (3/8ths) panic buy increase in demand overnight and you get stations out of gas.

200 +/- million cars in the USA, times 6 gallons = 1.2B gallons of unforeseen demand. That is about 120,000 tanker trucks full of gas.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I figured we had until June to fill our little gas can (that's when hurricane gas buying begins). I was wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well, if you are dragging a bunch of containers to the gas station to fill them up with fuel that probably counts. The article about the Southeast describes that.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
I think the media got it right this time as far as panic buying being the collective our fault.
Panic buying of gasoline can happen when everyone decides they need a full tank at or near the same time. Such as when the media keeps telling us there is a crisis (like now). "This too shall pass, don't panic" would be a better message.

The average car on the road today has a tank that is half full to 5/8ths full. I assume this by the very nature of the word "average". If the typical tank is 16 gallons, and everyone decides to go out and buy (on average) 3/8ths of a tank or 6 gallons at or near the same time - voila - shortage! The supply chain in place for gasoline relies on steady demand. Put in a 37.5% (3/8ths) panic buy increase in demand overnight and you get stations out of gas.

200 +/- million cars in the USA, times 6 gallons = 1.2B gallons of unforeseen demand. That is about 120,000 tanker trucks full of gas.

You have no way of knowing this, for one thing all 200 million plus are not out filling the gas tanks...it's a regional thing.

Don't blame the public because a huge pipeline company can't secure their website, that was my point.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:49 AM   #14

Another contributor to this gas-shortage situation is the lack of tanker drivers. Before covid, there were about 400,000 tanker drivers nationally and now there are only around 200,000. Currently the tankers can't get the gas to the gas stations faster than the stations are being 'drained' by end-consumers in cars and trucks.

And, the Southeast US (area hardest-hit by the cyberattack on Colonial Pipeline) is mostly served by tanker trucks delivering the fuel from those huge holding tank farms (which are filled by the major pipelines). Some other parts of the country have the ability to move fuel by water within their region, thereby being not so dependent on tanker trucks.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I just don't understand this--here in my town in NC all the gas stations are out of gas, no gas to be found anywhere around me. The NC Governor has declared a state of emergency. But yet the news says there is not a real shortage. Is this all panic buying? I have about half a tank full and had hoped to to visit my 90 year old mother who lives about an hour and a half away. I may have to postpone my trip to see my mother.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Filled up here yesterday in east/central Texas.... All four stations in town where opened and looked to be operating as normal.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:57 AM   #17

Nice not to have to deal with any of these issues.

I've discovered Volta charging stations, which lets you charge for FREE. About 2000 around the country, 350 I believe around me. Been using these the last few months. Free electricity beats charging at home.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:58 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I just don't understand this--here in my town in NC all the gas stations are out of gas, no gas to be found anywhere around me. The NC Governor has declared a state of emergency. But yet the news says there is not a real shortage. Is this all panic buying? I have about half a tank full and had hoped to to visit my 90 year old mother who lives about an hour and a half away. I may have to postpone my trip to see my mother.
Not that it really matters since you can't get the gas, but it's not a gas shortage, it's a distribution problem. Plenty of gas, just can't get enough of it where it's needed at this time.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:00 AM   #19

Here in NC, about 72% of gas stations are out. Lines are 20-30 min. Planning to go to Costco this weekend as per usual.

One women, tried to cut the line and when she could not get in, she rammed her car into somebody. Which resulted in a altercation.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Here in NC, about 72% of gas stations are out. Lines are 20-30 min. Planning to go to Costco this weekend as per usual.

One women, tried to cut the line and when she could not get in, she rammed her car into somebody. Which resulted in a altercation.
Just watched the video of this. She spit on the driver when she couldn't cut the line.
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote