Join Early Retirement Today

Steve Fossett's new life
Old 10-01-2008, 08:14 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Steve Fossett's new life

Steve Fossett's ID papers were found by a hiker in a remote area near Mammoth Lake, near Idaho(?), along with money. My theory ( I love a mystery), is he chucked it all to start a new life somewhere in Thailand, the Philippines, or South America. After all, he "done" everything, and what else could he do that was interesting? Any other plot lines out there?

IMHO he is living as a beachcomber in some beach, and helping the natives start a commune to start making some indigenous product to better themselves, and living in with a couple of nubile young native girls....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, I do find it odd that no human remains nor plane parts were found near the papers. That would be a heck of a trick for a pilot to pull.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not that tough in bear/mountain lion country.

Although I saw a guy with a dog at the beach today collecting cans that looked an awful lot like him.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

CFB, was he walking with Elvis?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Some guy with an eyepatch that was hard of hearing. Might have been.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Not that tough in bear/mountain lion country.
As far as I know, bears and mountain lions don't eat airplanes (?).

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

No, but they can haul pieces of person for quite some distance if they want to.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Fossett is a contemporary Amelia Earhart story.

Official Amelia Earhart Web site
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 08:17 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

breaking news - national news - world news - azcentral.com

Plane is found nearby.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Oh darn, there goes another conspiracy/mystery/conundrum/what ever happened to? story. I would have preferred he was never found, just like that parachuting hijacker....D.B. Cooper. I betcha he lives next door to me, too.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Old 10-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGYog View Post
Oh darn, there goes another conspiracy/mystery/conundrum/what ever happened to? story. I would have preferred he was never found, just like that parachuting hijacker....D.B. Cooper. I betcha he lives next door to me, too.
No, we can keep the conspiracy theory alive! Fosset was wealthy and technically competent. He could easily have made his Balanca into a UAV, and flown it remotely from another aircraft, crashing the Belanca into the remote area. We need to check the air traffic records to see if there was another aircraft nearby the Belanca, perhaps on a parallel course. Crowded So Cal skies: there probably was an aircraft nearby.
But what if there wasn't? No problem: Fosset's shadow aircraft could easily have been at a lower altitude (below ATC coverage). Or, if we don't like that theory, many of his friends had fabric covered aircraft: a little "special treatment" of the metal components (engine, wing spar, struts and wires) and you've got yourself a low-budget stealth acft. Not god enough to beat a military radar, but enough to beat a civilian ATC radar with filters set high to eliminate noise and clutter.
Gotta go--I have a book to write . . .
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:40 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Anderson said no human remains were found in the wreckage.
If authorities find no evidence of the remains in the cockpit (body fragments, skin, etc.) or bones in the area outside the airplane (if the body was dragged away by animals) I'll be mighty suspicious it's going to turn out to be a scam. And if that's true, Fossett should be tortured if he shows up alive...... at a minimum.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Gotta go--I have a book to write . . .

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
If authorities find no evidence of the remains in the cockpit (body fragments, skin, etc.) or bones in the area outside the airplane (if the body was dragged away by animals) I'll be mighty suspicious it's going to turn out to be a scam. And if that's true, Fossett should be tortured if he shows up alive...... at a minimum.
Looks like we can put this story to bed. Remains found.

NTSB: Remains found at Steve Fossett wreckage site - Yahoo! News
Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Fossett is a contemporary Amelia Earhart story.

Official Amelia Earhart Web site
It is nice to think of him like that or DB Cooper rather than hitting a mountain.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:05 PM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Looks like we can put this story to bed. Remains found.

NTSB: Remains found at Steve Fossett wreckage site - Yahoo! News
Dang! And here I was hoping he pulled off the old DB Cooper parachute gig! But hey, so far they've only found a 2" piece of bone......and their not positive yet whether it's his, or if it's even from a human. So maybe there's hope that I can hang onto my DB Copper theory! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Heck, if that's the case, maybe he and ol' DB are kickin' back sippin' suds over at DB's place.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote