Steve Irwin - Crock Hunter dead at 44..........

C

Cut-Throat

This guy was always playing around with deadly animals. Snakes, Crocs etc. - Finally got a Stingray barb through the heart.

Somehow I knew that this guy would not live to a ripe old age.

Crikeysteve.jpg

steve-irwin-12569.jpg

[Sorry about the edit, C-T, but I can't get that second link to display in your post.]

Well, he died doing what he loved.  Not attached to tubes in a nursing home.  So, in one way, that's good.  Unfortunately, it was about 40 years too early.

I've always felt that he exploited animals, essentially torturing them so that they would attack him in a sensational way.

TromboneAl said:
I've always felt that he exploited animals, essentially torturing them so that they would attack him in a sensational way. 

If he wasn't dead, this would have been the best PR stunt ever.

The only thing that surprised me is how he died. I was sure a crock was going to bite off his johnson and dine on Irwin tartare.

REWahoo! said:
The only thing that surprised me is how he died.  I was sure a crock was going to bite off his johnson and dine on Irwin tartare.

Dayum. Now thats cold dude.

Within the last month, I came across 3 people who had just been stung by stingrays. A little research on the web showed that such injuries were not fatal unless in the chest or thorax. When I read that, I was thinking, who gets stung by a sting ray in the chest?

Steve: we'll miss you, mate!

LOL! said:
When I read that, I was thinking, who gets stung by a sting ray in the chest?

Somebody who intentionally provokes a ray? Makes you wonder how we got to the top of the food chain. So much for big brains.

Somebody who intentionally provokes a ray? Makes you wonder how we got to the top of the food chain. So much for big brains.

Not sure he was provoking the ray (Altho as somebody has posted that was part of his schtick with animals.) While rays are generally considered "docile" swimming atop one is equivalent to standing behind a horse or a mule. They don't like it and they just start kicking

razztazz said:
Not sure he was provoking the ray (Altho as somebody has posted that was part of his schtick with animals.) While rays are generally considered "docile" swimming atop one is equivalent to standing behind a horse or a mule. They don't like it and they just start kicking

You're right. Sounds like he was swimming right behind with the camera man shooting from the front:

article

Well, I loved his zest and presence on the screen, and we'll miss him.  Quite a character.

Having said that, I was an amateur herpetologist, and I have an old and dear friend who got his PhD, and is a professional herpetologist.  Steve Irwin did things with poisonous snakes that were incredibly foolhardy.  I too figured this fellow would someday have a terrible accident, though the one that finally did him in is unique.

RIP, Steve Irwin.

I thought he was a pretty good entertainer. Thats probably what did him in. In his quest to entertain and come up with new ideas, he took on more risk. As others have stated, I'm surprised this is how he died.

Well whatever he didnt deserve to die. He saved and helped alot of animals.

Somehow I am not surprised. I may even I predicted that in the past.

I personally didn't care for the show, which kind of appalled me and I didn't think it was a good example of things to do with animals. Like provoking them. I also made sure DS didn't watch since I didn't want him to get the idea he could do that.

I like Jeff Corwin a lot better. Hope he is more careful.

Well that's a shame anyway that this guy didn't make it. :(

Its always unfortunate when these things happen. I feel terrible for his kid(s).

But, if he didn't see something like this coming, he wasnt too bright.

TromboneAl said:
I've often been accused of a similar thing -- exploiting early-retirement forum posters, essentially torturing them so that they would attack me in a sensational way. :D

sgeeeee said:
I've often been accused of a similar thing -- exploiting early-retirement forum posters, essentially torturing them so that they would attack me in a sensational way. :D

I'm continually amazed at the depths of sexual depravity described on this forum...

sgeeeee said:
It's that mesmerizing avatar, sgeeee!

Concerning the newsmedia portrayal of Irwin as a conservationist, here's a quote from a character in  the book "True Crime" by Andrew Klavan:

"Let me tell you something.  Issues -- issues are what we make up to give us an excuse to run good stories.  A judge grabs an attorney's breasts, it's the sex discrimination issue.  A nine-year-old shoots his brother with an Uzi, it's the child violence issue.  People want to read about sex organs and blood and we make issues out of them to give them an excuse.  That's what makes us a quality paper instead of a cheap tabloid: hypocrisy."

I guess Irwin accepted the risk that came with his job a long time ago, but I definitely feel bad for his wife and kids. 

I always questioned some of the things he was doing with the animals, as his show was more about entertainment than conservation, but he was still pretty fun to watch and will be missed. 

I haven't heard anything mentioned about anti-venom.  Is there such a thing for stingrays?  I'm suprised the crew didn't have that available or maybe it was the actual puncture wound that did the damage instead of the venom. 

Stingray venom isn't life threatening. It's the 8" barb through your heart that makes in dangerous

Sounds like really bad luck if you ask me If you've read Nicholas Taleb's book, this would certainly qualify as a "black swan"

Aaron said:
I guess Irwin accepted the risk that came with his job a long time ago, but I definitely feel bad for his wife and kids.
I hope he was paying for life insurance. Geez, considering his reputation I wonder what he was paying for life insurance.

saluki9 said:
Stingray venom isn't life threatening.  It's the 8" barb through your heart that makes in dangerous
Sounds like really bad luck if you ask me  If you've read Nicholas Taleb's book, this would certainly qualify as a "black swan"
... as well as a completely new meaning to the term "death ray"!

Why do they call it getting "stung" by a stingray.   I clicked on one of those photographs of that serrated barb, and the word "stabbed" seems more accurate to me.

Bees sting. That thing freakin stabs you and rips flesh out when its pulled out.

Apparently surfers learn to shuffle their feet along when walking into the water in sting ray areas. Do you have them where you surf, Nords?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom