Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Steve Jobs Deathbed Speech
Old 01-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Steve Jobs Deathbed Speech

I'm sure this has been posted many times here but for me it still puts my aganda back on track.

Steve Jobs was the co-founder, Chairman and CEO of Apple Corporation and died in 2011, aged 56, after losing his battle with Pancreatic Cancer. He posted the following observation just prior to his death.

This is very profound and a realization that only became obvious when he was confronted with his certain demise.
The World's six best doctors ... worth reading--------- Steve Jobs died a billionaire ( $10.2 billion ) at age 56. This is his final essay.

"I reached the pinnacle of success in the business world. In some others' eyes, my life is the epitome of success. However, aside from work, I have little joy. In the end, my wealth is only a fact of life that I am accustomed to. At this moment, lying on my bed and recalling my life, I realize that all the recognition and wealth that I took so much pride in have paled and become meaningless in the face of my death.

You can employ someone to drive the car for you, make money for you but you cannot have someone bear your sickness for you. Material things lost can be found or replaced. But there is one thing that can never be found when it's lost - Life. Whichever stage in life you are in right now, with time, you will face the day when the curtain comes down.

Treasure love for your family, love for your spouse, love for your friends. Treat yourself well and cherish others. As we grow older, and hopefully wiser, we realize that a $300 or a $30 watch both tell the same time. You will realize that your true inner happiness does not come from the material things of this world. Whether you fly first class or economy, if the plane goes down - you go down with it.

Therefore, I hope you realize, when you have mates, buddies and old friends, brothers and sisters, who you chat with, laugh with, talk with, have sing songs with, talk about north-south-east-west or heaven and earth, that is true happiness! Don't educate your children to be rich. Educate them to be happy. So when they grow up they will know the value of things and not the price. Eat your food as your medicine, otherwise you have to eat medicine as your food.

There is a big difference between a human being and being human. Only a few really understand it. You are loved when you are born. Will you be loved when you die? In between, you have to manage!

The seven best doctors in the world are sunlight, rest, exercise, diet, self-confidence, friends and family. Maintain them in all stages and enjoy a healthy life.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You gotta check Snopes when you stumble on things like this. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/st...athbed-speech/

Jobs did not write the above.

He did however give several inspiring speeches during his lifetime.
Old 01-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

not steve jobs, fake and debunked as soon as it started making the rounds after his death.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

More urban fiction!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Despite who wrote it, does that matter?

It's a thoughtful piece.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Don't believe anything you read on the internet!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Jobs would never have written that anyway...frankly, all he cared about in life was himself.

Don't forget he for years tried to deny he had fathered his daughter Lisa.

NOT a guy you'd want for a dad.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Oh, very sorry for that if not the real thing. I had no idea!
I was also going to post this
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/st...athbed-speech/

Thanks audreyh1 for doing so.

Well, forgive but I have seen it before and thought I would post it. For me it is such a reminder what life can be and how to live life and really puts things in order.

Sorry but my intentions was not to spread fake news.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
Jobs would never have written that anyway...frankly, all he cared about in life was himself.
He certainly had some rough patches in his life and wasn't always what he should have been. But I think most of us could say the same, if we're honest.

But he wasn't as bad as some made him out to be.

Here's the commencement address he gave in 2005. Reading it gives you a pretty fair insight into him, I think.

https://news.stanford.edu/2005/06/14/jobs-061505/
Old 01-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
He certainly had some rough patches in his life and wasn't always what he should have been. But I think most of us could say the same, if we're honest.

But he wasn't as bad as some made him out to be.

Here's the commencement address he gave in 2005. Reading it gives you a pretty fair insight into him, I think.

Only at the end of his life...for most of it his attitudes and actions were just as I described, both in his personal & professional relationships.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I remember the Stanford speech, inspired, vintage Jobs. Anyone who’d heard the Stanford speech, would know without snopes that the words in the OP wouldn’t be Jobs - not a bad message, but far too pedestrian to be Jobs. I remember knowing the deathbed words were a hoax the first time I heard it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote