Join Early Retirement Today

Sticker shock...[Furniture Prices]
Old 08-05-2017, 07:22 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The sofa and love seat have been with us for somewhere around 20 years. Whatever support that sofa had is long gone. Sitting down on It is kinda like stepping into quick sand. I rarely sit on them but when I was convalescing with the knee, looking for anywhere to get comfortable, I noticed just how far gone they were. Yesterday I gathered up the Mrs and we went and bought a sofa and love seat: $1,875 including delivery and removal. Roughly double what we paid almost 20 years ago. Ouch. And no they are not leather.

This old man can't help but think $2,000 is what I paid for a year at State University. It is 4 times as much as I paid for my first car: a VW bug. I'm still in shock but the fact that the Mrs didn't say boo when I said we were going out shopping tells me that the purchase was overdue. Still, yikes.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
The sofa and love seat have been with us for somewhere around 20 years. Whatever support that sofa had is long gone. Sitting down on It is kinda like stepping into quick sand. I rarely sit on them but when I was convalescing with the knee, looking for anywhere to get comfortable, I noticed just how far gone they were. Yesterday I gathered up the Mrs and we went and bought a sofa and love seat: $1,875 including delivery and removal. Roughly double what we paid almost 20 years ago. Ouch. And no they are not leather.

This old man can't help but think $2,000 is what I paid for a year at State University. It is 4 times as much as I paid for my first car: a VW bug. I'm still in shock but the fact that the Mrs didn't say boo when I said we were going out shopping tells me that the purchase was overdue. Still, yikes.
Well tell me something that hasn't "roughly doubled" in the last 20 years, computer and TV's come to mind but that's about all.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't sound too bad. We just replaced two recliners, $500 total, at 50% off!
I enjoy looking at new furniture, until I see the prices
Old 08-05-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

We were quoted $3200 to recover/restore two beautiful upholstered club chairs from the 70's. The furniture store rep said that to buy equivalent chairs "if you can even find them" would cost $3500-$4000 per chair. We're going to go ahead and spend the coin. We love those chairs.

Quote:

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We were quoted $3200 to recover/restore two beautiful upholstered club chairs from the 70's. The furniture store rep said that to buy equivalent chairs "if you can even find them" would cost $3500-$4000 per chair. We're going to go ahead and spend the coin. We love those chairs.
+1
My old old friend, does restoration on old furniture. He gets his business by working with 3 or 4 interior designers. He said most of the old handcrafted stuff is so far above the quality you get now.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #6

I've spent a couple hours in our living room sitting on our new sofa; I think the reason I've spent so little time in this room is I was uncomfortable. The firmness of the new sofa and love seat have changed that...

Long overdue I should have forced the issue sooner...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think you are doing fine, Rayinpenn. A nice, sturdy sofa and matching loveseat will add to your life for years to come.

Some of that increase is inflation. According to inflation calculators based on general, overall inflation, $1,875 today equals $1,229 back in 1997.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've spent a couple hours in our living room sitting on our new sofa; I think the reason I've spent so little time in this room is I was uncomfortable. The firmness of the new sofa and love seat have changed that...

There are two reasons I have never spent any time in my living room since moving last year. First, because my wife doesn't allow me to sit on the furniture since she had everything recovered. And she bought a huge Turkish handmade rug when we were in Turkey last year, and I'm not allowed to walk on it.

My old Hickory Chair sofa now has its third upholstery and looks better than new. Buy quality initially and you're often buying a long term value.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
There are two reasons I have never spent any time in my living room since moving last year. First, because my wife doesn't allow me to sit on the furniture since she had everything recovered. And she bought a huge Turkish handmade rug when we were in Turkey last year, and I'm not allowed to walk on it.

My old Hickory Chair sofa now has its third upholstery and looks better than new. Buy quality initially and you're often buying a long term value.
. Im not allowed either. A few months ago when I was having chest pains she made me sit in the living room. Thats how I knew I was in bad shape.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I guess you can look at it two different ways...buy a chair and then pay to have it upholstered 3 times, or buy 4 chairs over the same time frame for about the same cost...
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In the 1960s, my parents bought a 1930s era oak boardroom table and eight matching chairs at an auction. The table cost £10 and the chairs cost £1 each. The chairs had ornate carvings of oak leaves, just in case we weren't sure they were oak. They looked a bit tired, but after my Dad had finished polishing and reupholstering them, they became an elegant dining set for the next 40 years or so. I was sorry to see them back at the auction house after my parents had passed away, but living on another continent made continued ownership impractical. They fetched only a few hundred € at auction. Dining sets are hard to sell.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:29 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

My bed and end tables are Hickory Chair. I bought the pieces 20 years ago for about $2K which was a deep discount as that style was being discontinued. Still love them.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:47 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

We are 25 years into our Hickory Chair sofa and I still have a bolt of the original covering material stored in the attic tightly wrapped in plastic. If it's any good, I may use it to recover the sofa and cushions in a couple of years. We did recover it about 10 years ago with another fabric pattern and it is getting long in the tooth.

We have several end tables and chairs that we bought about the same time and they are still in great shape. The couch gets used the most.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:47 AM   #14

Check Craigslist for quality used furniture, at great prices. The nicer the furniture, (usually) the better it has been maintained. Many high earners continue to be bored with their 5-10 year old furniture and want to replace it with brand new. Or they buy a new house, or divorce, or die. We have found many deals, including a solid cherry Ethan Allen DR set with 6 chairs for $500. Classic design, could be 10 years old, or 40.

Furnished a vacation home a couple of years ago off Craigslist for 1/3 of what it cost to buy retail furniture for our previous condo. With the latest, we had the time to drive around and look at deals. The last time, not so much.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:58 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

We have rarely purchased new furniture and when we have, we're been disappointed in the quality - no matter the price.

Of late, we have purchased from the hotel furniture place in town. If after surviving use at the Hilton or Princess Kaiulani for 15 years, it must be good stuff - or else it looks bad and we don't buy.

In our building, we watch the board and find nice furniture for $100 or free. Now, we have too much stuff and are beginning to use the board ourselves. In areas like ours, furniture is very expensive new and very inexpensive used. Just the nature of the area (high turnover and geographically isolated.) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Well tell me something that hasn't "roughly doubled" in the last 20 years, computer and TV's come to mind but that's about all.
Exactly! Doubled price sounds about right. That said, I too tend to get sticker shock when buying furniture, for some reason....
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:08 AM   #17

Quote:

Sounds like it was well worth the coin then. Good for you!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I just splurged and bought a nice leather recliner for $900 + tax. Most full leather ones around town are $1100-1300. This exact one online has a $1300 price tag. Not cheap, but think I did ok. Ready for football season!
Old 08-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #19

I learned a couple of months ago that you must shop around for furniture. I was looking for a new leather recliner and went to a store in a town about 30 miles away. Everything in that store was $2000 or more. Went to a different store in a different town and they were selling the same brand and model for $900 so purchased the chair there.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:21 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I just splurged and bought a nice leather recliner for $900 + tax. Most full leather ones around town are $1100-1300. This exact one online has a $1300 price tag. Not cheap, but think I did ok. Ready for football season!
Excellent decision! I think that just the right recliner or easy chair is such an intimate and personal choice and something I value a lot.

I bought a $2K Italian leather easy chair and ottoman just five days before my dream home went on the market, unexpectedly. The chair probably cost more than all the rest of the furniture in my home. Terrible timing, financially, but this chair is so sturdy and so comfortable... I just love it. I think it was a wonderful decision. I am sitting in it now.

In fact, I decided that if I ever move again (which is not likely), I will take a couple of suitcases with me plus this armchair and that's all, and then buy the rest later as needed. It would all fit in the back of my Venza.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EasyChairHurwitzMintzDalton.jpg (24.6 KB, 146 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote