Stop with the phone books!!!

Do you still appreciate receiving a new phone book?

• Yes, I still use one

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • No, stop already!

Votes: 65 75.6%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just pulled into my driveway and found a new phone book - jeeez, straight into recycling. I haven't looked (or wanted to) look at a phone book for at least 10 years! My 94 year old Dad doesn't even use them anymore. When are they going to stop wasting the resources to print and distribute these dinosaurs?

Of course I know I many be proven wrong here...hence the poll.

Last edited:
I get two of them every year. One from the nearby city, and another covering just the part of the county where I live.

Never open either of them.

But as long as the publishers can keep convincing businesses to buy listings in the books, they will keep delivering them.

We used to live in area area with far more retailers and restaurants- I don't know how they all stayed in business- and probably got 4 per year. I don't think I've seen one since we moved in mid-2015. And they always had a picture of a bunch of lawyers with a wall full of legal tomes in the background on the back cover. Darn it, how will I know whom to call for a free in-hospital consultation if I'm injured?

We get a couple a year as well where Advertiser's still pay to have a magnetic adhered to the front. So when I need a plumber, I am going to go find where I put that magnet. LOL.

I'm still getting a couple of them every year. I check to see if there are any coupons then they go in the recycling container.

Like them for the yellow pages and the government listings. Haven't used the white pages in a long time.

Yes, I use them, for pressing leaves for print making and imprints in hypertufa.

In some places, the law requires the phone company to distribute phone books. In Phoenix, we recycled them but haven't seen one in Colorado.

We only get some very local yellow pages... when we were getting the whole city it was in two large volumes.....

Just got one two days ago... never took it out of the plastic bag... went into the garbage... maybe I will go and move it to recycle....

Yep still get one. Keep the new and throw the old one away. Don't use them much but handy whey I do.

Oops - what about the option that we don't get a phone book?

We don't have a landline, so we don't get a phone book. Maybe that's the trick - drop your landline?

I hate them, but my DW loves them and is upset that they don't come more often (it seems new ones are about 2+ years apart).

Oops - what about the option that we don't get a phone book?

We don't have a landline, so we don't get a phone book. Maybe that's the trick - drop your landline?
We dropped our landline at least 10 years ago, but that hasn't stopped yellow page phone books coming to our home once or twice a year. I'd stop it if I could.

I don't get them anymore but the most recent one I retain says on the cover that you can opt out of receiving them by calling a number. Check yours and opt out.

In some places, the law requires the phone company to distribute phone books. In Phoenix, we recycled them but haven't seen one in Colorado.

What a waste. I haven't seen one from an actual phone company in decades. What we've gotten are ones that are mostly "yellow pages" with a slim section of white page listing.

We dropped our landline at least 10 years ago, but that hasn't stopped yellow page phone books coming to our home once or twice a year. I'd stop it if I could.

Wow strange. We are in a new house and never had a landline from a main company. So maybe that's the difference.

Don't need a 'phone book at all. I just ring Mildred at the telephone exchange (Williams 6) and ask for "that hardware store on Main street, you know the one that Joe Hudson's boy took over after Joe's chainsaw accident, in the summer of '73" and she connects me. Looking stuff up in a book is so 20th century! :)

-BB

It's a strongly declining business (-double digits every year), but still profitable to run mostly. A lot of companies just don't realize they are still paying the yearly invoices.

Last one turns out the lights. Probably five to ten more years.

In the Netherlands it's already game over.

The neighbors on our shared driveway, who rely on their teenaged kids to pick up mail and garbage cans, have allowed their phone books to turn into papier-mâché on the ground in front of the mailboxes. We have resisted picking up and disposing of their mess but will probably feel driven to do so. The inevitable fate of the retired couple.

Back
Top Bottom