Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Storage systems for a pantry
Old 01-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Storage systems for a pantry

Perhaps some people here have put up some shelving lately.

I am redoing an area that is the pantry and extra storage area for the kitchen. I want to install some shelving/wall storage, with adjustable shelves for storing canned food, boxes, kitchen appliances that are not used very often, and bigger items like the turkey roasting pan.

The shelving should be easy to install, have a clean look, and be durable and easily adjusted. It would be nice if it had things like basket drawers that can be pulled out.

It is not easily seen in the main part of the house, so I don't need anything fancy like solid walnut shelves, etc.

I would appreciate any recommendations on shelving systems you have used.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2015, 06:10 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

In our pantry we used coated wire shelving that we purchased from Lowe's. Rubbermaid I think. It has a nice clean look that we like. Easy to work with and an easy DIY project.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
In our pantry we used coated wire shelving that we purchased from Lowe's. Rubbermaid I think. It has a nice clean look that we like. Easy to work with and an easy DIY project.
+1 on the wire shelves. They also make drawers and other specialty accessories. They are easy to install and look OK.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

For extra canned goods I got for inside the pantry door a hanging coated wire shelf unit (it has six basket-shelves). I think it was originally for holding VCR tapes (remember those things). They still might make something like it. I bought mine at Wal-Mart.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

FamilyHandyman.com has some interesting ideas. You could probably also find some ideas on Pinterest.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try Elfa. We've always been pleased with them.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/kitchen
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #8
Administrator

We put in the Elfa shelves, they are very sturdy and take a lot of weight. DD installed similar units from Home Depot, I think they are functionally equivalent.

One issue I have is some items do not sit or stack well on wire shelves.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Chuckanut,
Sorry I am late to this party!
I'm not sure what type of pantry you've got, but if it is one of those deeper ones, consider some nice full-extension slideout baskets. They work very well and make everything much more accessable (no more 5 year old boxes of cereal lost at the back). I installed some Knape & Vogt units and the quality was really good. They also make narrow baskets to fit on a door bracket if you need those. Menards stocks them, and can order them-and they are having an 11% off sale right now.

Good luck
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 01:05 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, samclem. I don't have much room for large shelves. The space is actually under a staircase. So, some of it will be reachable only by children or adults on their knees.

MichaelB - I read where some simple pegboard on top of the wire shelves solves that problem.

Old 01-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #11
gone traveling

We have a tall pantry cabinet that was made a lot more functional with some pullout shelves from Shelf Genie Custom Designed pull out shelves and slide out shelves installed in your existing cabinets.

Got more usable space and easier access by adding several slide out shelves. Not sure if that would work for your situation or not.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

The house that I made an offer on this winter, but didn't get, had a dream kitchen. The pantry had the most beautiful, sturdy, well balanced, and easy-sliding, slide out maple shelves. (sigh!) They slid so easily and smoothly, with just one touch of a finger. The Lazy Susan in the corner came out too and was simply amazing. What perfect pantry, a dream come true.

This post isn't adding to the discussion but I just HAD to mention it because that kitchen was so outrageously perfect it would make your heart ache.

I wonder - - would shelves underneath a staircase be easier to reach if they would slide out like that? Maybe.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:37 PM   #13

We have several closets, including a pantry, where we put in what is now apparently called the Elfa system. It used to be called Freedom Rail back when we bought it from the Container Store.

Very flexible, easy to install, and sturdy. We would do it again without question.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

I put up the coated wire shelves in a closet under my stairway. As to sliding shelves, I have only built my own so far, but I remember seeing a place online that sold the shelves and hardware to DIY'ers. A friend of mine had California Closets do a closet and they like it

Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 05:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

I wonder - - would shelves underneath a staircase be easier to reach if they would slide out like that? Maybe.

The last third of the space has a very low ceiling. I am thinking slide out shelves would still allow a adult to stand (bent over somewhat) and have access to the items on the shelves. This would avoid have to go down on one's knees.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #16

Another idea to try is...watch the TV show "Tiny House Nation" on the FYI channel. Even if you don't plan to move into a house of <500SF, it illustrates fantastic ideas about storage and space saving design and construction techniques; including under-stair storage and cabinet slide-outs. I think you can also watch some episodes on-line.

Tiny House Nation - Episodes, Video & Schedule - FYI Network
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 AM   #17

Our new house came with the wire pantry shelves, but we found storing certain items did not work well due to the lack on a solid surface. So I bought a sheet of 1/8 inch masonite (cheap) and added a cover. DW covered them with some of that shelf liner and the problem was solved. Looks good too.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 08:45 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
We put in the Elfa shelves, they are very sturdy and take a lot of weight. DD installed similar units from Home Depot, I think they are functionally equivalent.

One issue I have is some items do not sit or stack well on wire shelves.
Michael, You can buy plastic placements or plastic sheet cutting boards at dollar stores and put on the wire to hold items that don't sit well on wire. Even thin cardboard would work but the plastic lasts longer and can be cleaned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Thanks, samclem. I don't have much room for large shelves. The space is actually under a staircase. So, some of it will be reachable only by children or adults on their knees.
Chuckanut, Ikea has "drawer units" in their office furniture that can be used in the lower areas under the steps. They are on wheels so you can roll them out. I use the thin all drawer units for storing different types of paper, have another that's a file cabinet on wheels and put one of my printers on top, and another with a couple of drawers for storing wire and sheet metal for my metal working. All of these roll under desks or workbenches to get them out of the way. Some units are low enough to fit under your stair case. If you are handy, you could put castors on small shelving so you could roll out. I have a small metal cart that I bought at Ikea that's about 30" tall that fits into a narrow but deep bathroom closet. All my cleaning supplies fit on this cart.......think it's a kitchen cart from Ikea.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 AM   #19
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Michael, You can buy plastic placements or plastic sheet cutting boards at dollar stores and put on the wire to hold items that don't sit well on wire. Even thin cardboard would work but the plastic lasts longer and can be cleaned.
I should try that, though it means I need to reorganize the shelves a bit and lately I'm being lazy.

We are very happy with the Elfa system we bought. The components we got for 1/2 off, and we had a basement / kitchen remodeling underway, so this installation was part of that project and the additional cost was not significant. Usable storage space increased significantly.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

The wire shelves that we used the wires were pretty close, about 1/2" as i recall, and they have worked well for us for most pantry items.

The issue that we have is that our pantry is deep and narrow, abut 4' wide and 8' deep and we have 16" shelves at the end. and hang stuff (clothing, brooms, etc.) on the side walls. It works ok, but I have been thinking about how to get more functional storage buy perhaps building a floor to ceiling lazy susan that is the width of the pantry at the end, or perhaps some ferris wheel type of storage (AutoPantry being and example).

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shelving