Storms Marco & Laura Heading for the Gulf States

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Not sure if Hurricanes when they land, but it looks likely. Seems Florida dodged yet again. Phew.....

Best wishes go out to all who may be affected, hopefully they will stay as Tropical Storms.

Looks like Marco's projected landfall path has stayed pretty consistent for the past day or so... Laura keeps trending further and further to the west, so far. Also, it seems Marco is a much smaller storm than Laura, again, so far.

Two hurricanes in three days. Wow! Hoping for minimal impact to our friends down in Louisiana.

We are concerned about W2R and F, if it hits N.O.
Two hurricanes in three days. Wow! Hoping for minimal impact to our friends down in Louisiana.
Thank you, Souschef and Gumby. We are told that the first effects from Hurricane Marco will be tonight, and that the worst of that one will be during the daytime tomorrow. Hurricane Laura will arrive less than 48 hours behind it.

Today I have been watching the constant live coverage of these hurricanes on our local TV stations. Thought I'd take a break.

I am mostly prepared, other than doing something about the contents of the freezer in my frig. I had planned to cook a lot of it and then put it in an ice chest if/when the power goes out. Now I am thinking eff it, I'll throw it all out if that happens, since I have plenty of non-perishables in my pantry. Blow That Dough. I just don't want to have to buy a new frig.

The 15th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina will be this coming Saturday. Hopefully this will be a breeze (ha ha, get it? :2funny: ) compared with Katrina.

Good luck to everybody in the region. Positive thoughts being sent from smokey California.

Reactions: W2R
The longer these drift apart, the worst. Besides warm water, hurricanes also need upper air ventilation. When they get close, they can mess with each other.

So now the current forecast is hurricane hits on both. Not good.

Marco upgraded to Hurricane

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_grap...ind+png/153825_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

153825_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Laura keeps moving west, not that you really want to be on the east side of an approaching hurricane, But it’s many days yet, and if it keeps moving west it might not be a real double whammy.

Laura keeps moving west, not that you really want to be on the east side of an approaching hurricane, But it’s many days yet, and if it keeps moving west it might not be a real double whammy.

Yes, I saw that also - now projected to land near the LA/TX border, based on the latest map I looked at. Hopefully this thing moves through relatively quickly, and does not have time to dump too much rain on cities along the coast. I saw a projection for 4-8" of rain in a few areas, which is not good, but a lot better than the 10+" of rain some areas saw with Katrina.

Yes, I saw that also - now projected to land near the LA/TX border, based on the latest map I looked at. Hopefully this thing moves through relatively quickly, and does not have time to dump too much rain on cities along the coast. I saw a projection for 4-8" of rain in a few areas, which is not good, but a lot better than the 10+" of rain some areas saw with Katrina.

Also better than 60 inches like Harvey.

On Long Island we had Tropical storm Isaias roll through a few weeks ago. I was amazed at the number of downed trees and power outages for such a minor storm. Don't take storms lightly!

Thank you, Souschef and Gumby. We are told that the first effects from Hurricane Marco will be tonight, and that the worst of that one will be during the daytime tomorrow. Hurricane Laura will arrive less than 48 hours behind it.

Today I have been watching the constant live coverage of these hurricanes on our local TV stations. Thought I'd take a break.

I am mostly prepared, other than doing something about the contents of the freezer in my frig. I had planned to cook a lot of it and then put it in an ice chest if/when the power goes out. Now I am thinking eff it, I'll throw it all out if that happens, since I have plenty of non-perishables in my pantry. Blow That Dough. I just don't want to have to buy a new frig.

The 15th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina will be this coming Saturday. Hopefully this will be a breeze (ha ha, get it? :2funny: ) compared with Katrina.

Fingers crossed for you! I can’t believe it’s been fifteen years since Katrina . . .

You can put some 3/4 filled water bottles in your freezer and they will produce ice blocks that will keep your freezer cold for longer if your power goes out. Good luck. I hope they don't cause much damage in your area!

Woo-hoo! Marco is weakening. It is back to being a tropical storm again, and with any luck it may make landfall as a tropical storm and not a hurricane.

So far, no wind, no rain, no nothing here in New Orleans.

Yeah, I think it will stay a tropical storm. At least that’s what is projected. Maybe wind speeds will drop even further before landfall.

Yes, winds dropped more, no more tropical storm warning. Looks like it’s going to hug the cost for a ways.

In contrast with Marco, Laura is strengthening, and could make landfall as a Cat 2 hurricane. Latest projections from some of the models show landfall in the proximity of Galveston, TX, around late wed. night. Houston is not that far from Galveston, and they don't need this, after Harvey. Hope everyone in those areas stays safe.

It's a beautiful, sunny day here with not a drop of rain so far. The NHC hasn't admitted it yet, but according to his blog, my favorite retired TV hurricane guy thinks TS Marco is disintegrating (due to wind shear) or disintegrated already, and is no longer a threat to New Orleans. He says New Orleans should remain on alert, though, because TS/Hurricane Laura is still out there.

Frank and I [-]feel like[/-] have observed time and again that neither the NHC nor anybody else has the slightest clue as to where a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico will go until it at least enters the Gulf. Laura has not done so yet.

Frank and I [-]feel like[/-] have observed time and again that neither the NHC nor anybody else has the slightest clue as to where a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico will go until it at least enters the Gulf. Laura has not done so yet.
For years, I've noticed that the forecasters seem to do a "better job" projecting Atlantic storms paths and strengths than they do Gulf storms... I'm not sure why, but it sure seems that way to me.

Yeah both tropical storms now and more distance between them. Sometimes it feels like weather pundits are rooting for bigger scarier and "unprecedented" storms.

Hoping that does not play out.

Last edited:
Laura is still projected to strengthen into a hurricane and land as a category 2.

Marco just spun down and is projected to make land fall as a tropical depression.

Back
Top Bottom