Story about homeless Ph.D.

Haha

It was here. I recall responding to the thread as I had a TGA. You cannot compare a brain phart with a TGA.

A brain phart is just that you know I blew it(again). A TGA is like waking up in a strange restaurant full of diners. They're all speaking a different language, you're in Spain! As you become aware what a restaurant is for and embrace the concept of having someone make food for you... looking around you become aware of the other diners. They're strangers, no that one over there seems familiar. Huh who are these people? OH, Hi mom, hi dad, hi uncle Billy. Ah it's my life welcome back. A 6 hour mystery crammed into a much shorter time of extreme terror mixed with an incredible calmness.:D

They're very different things.

Ahhh, it was you!

I wasn't so much comparing a 'brain phart' to TGA, just really trying to say there are different forms of mental gaps, not just Alzheimers.

TGA sounds very scary.

-ERD50

And most of us have the occasional 'brain phart'. Sometimes it is super awkward, so you say something to fill in the gap, like 'little woman', 'the wife', etc.
-ERD50

I am reminded of a widely reported blooper by Condi Rice last decade when at a dinner party she said "As I was saying to my husband..err I mean President Bush..." This was particularly odd as, of course, Ms. Rice was unmarried and so presumably never had occasion to ever utter the words "my husband".

Now, when they also take their spouse's first name......

On a practical note, it's very difficult to find old school friends who have changed their names. As for myself, I use the name I was given at birth, but I started a consulting company some years ago, and named it for both my parents.

Before DW and I were married we had traveled and worked in several third world countries (and a few not so third world). There were several instances (hotels, customs, rentals, contracts, legal issues) where living together but not having the same name became a nuisance. Nothing major but several PITAs.

Fellow ex-pats who were married with separate names advised us to go with one name as well.

DW decided it was not worth the hassle so when we married she took my name.

Last edited:
I know a woman who was the last of a family that owned a fairly large brewery. She wanted to get married, and her father (who still ran it) said he would consent only if her prospective husband changed his name to hers, in order to keep the family name on it for more generations. Otherwise, he would sell the brewery, which was still quite profitable. The prospective groom agreed, and it has worked out fine.

Yuengling?

I am friends with an older lady who is very influential in the local scene. She is also an accomplished author. In her books, she refers to her spouse as Husband. I suppose it prevents her readers from making any connection with him.

Anyway I always thought it was also a precaution in case he predeceased her. The book remains relevant when he is replaced!

I often introduce my partner as "the love of my life" or "my better half". She has never complained and then tells them her name. She has retained her last name from a previous marriage. Depending on the circumstances, she may include it in her turn.

Of course, sometimes she make arrangements and then people assume that her last name is also mine! It is especially helpful when phone callers ask to speak to Mister "her last name". "No I'm sorry, he does not live here."

She has retained her last name from a previous marriage.
I thought I was the only one, but now I know your wife is also. I've had this name for longer than my birth name. My DH couldn't care less.

Last edited:
It is especially helpful when phone callers ask to speak to Mister "her last name". "No I'm sorry, he does not live here."

DW's phone, when I met her, was in her previously married name; when we moved cities we just transferred the account with no change......it's better than an unlisted number, (do they still charge for those?), and if anyone asks for that name we just say "Not here" and hang up.

...at a social reception the seismologist could not remember his girlfriend of 15 year's name...

Slightly off topic but funny. My grandparents were married 53 years. Around year 51, they were watching TV and someone was on who had blue eyes.

Grampy said "I can't stand people with blue eyes!"
Grammy said: "I have blued eyes!!"
"You do?! Let me see...."

Is the sound of distant drumming just the fingers of your hand?
Pictures hanging in a hallway and the fragment of a song
Half remembered names and faces, but to whom do they belong?
When you knew that it was over in the autumn of good-byes
For a moment you could not recall the color of his eyes!​

Is the sound of distant drumming just the fingers of your hand?
Pictures hanging in a hallway and the fragment of a song
Half remembered names and faces, but to whom do they belong?
When you knew that it was over in the autumn of good-byes
For a moment you could not recall the color of his eyes!​
Beautiful song NW, from an excellent Steve McQueen/Faye Dunaway movie, the Thomas Crown Affair.

Ha

Yes, this song is my favorite, and I used it in the OP of a thread that I started about songs in movies: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/favorite-movie-music-43670.html.

This song by Michel Legrand earned an Academy Award for Best Original Song in the mentioned 1968 movie. In the remake of the movie in 1999, starring Pierce Brosnan as Thomas Crown, Sting performed this song.

PS. Michel Legrand was first known for the theme song in the 1964 movie "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" that also brought Catherine Deneuve to fame. Another well-known song of his is "The Summer Knows" in the 1971 movie "Summer of 42".

Last edited:
Yes, this song is my favorite, and I used it in the OP of a thread that I started about songs in movies: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/favorite-movie-music-43670.html.

This song by Michel Legrand earned an Academy Award for Best Original Song in the mentioned 1968 movie. In the remake of the movie in 1999, starring Pierce Brosnan as Thomas Crown, Sting performed this song.

PS. Michel Legrand was first known for the theme song in the 1964 movie "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" that also brought Catherine Deneuve to fame. Another well-known song of his is "The Summer Knows" in the 1971 movie "Summer of 42".
I saw both these movies first release. Umbrellas of Cherbourg must be the most romantic movie in history. One of the first flat out jazz records that I bought while I was living in Boston was called "Legrand Jazz". Excellent Miles Davis cuts among others.

I think that Steve and Faye could give pretty good kissing lessons too.

Ha

Last edited:
I was at a museum related to the place I used to work. It is quite common for some of the tour guides to be retirees. I was talking to one of them about people and life in general. He related the following to me.

'Most of the employees at the museum are grad students from the local university. They are all history majors. One of the full time tour guides has a PhD in history, and used to teach at one of the major state universities. But his student reviews consistently said that the students could not hear him when he lectured, and he refused to use a microphone. It became contentious with the head of the department, and this person hardened his position that he would not wear a microphone because he did not want to, and that it was a matter of academic freedom. Several years later, he was forced out of the university. He was not able to get in at any other universities. So now he gives tours at the museum. Near minimum wage.

And he wears a microphone.

Mental illness is not a blanket pass to excuse any and all behaviour. Those with mental illnesses are not powerless to improve their situations, and (in my opinion) still bear at least some responsibility for their circumstances.

And the article doesn't say anything at all about mental illness - it's being implied by readers here.

Back
Top Bottom