Join Early Retirement Today

Strange advertising words
Old 10-30-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Strange advertising words

OK, I was driving today and heard something on the radio that made me go 'HMMMMM'....

I am trying to remember the exact words, but cannot be sure of them...

It was a car company selling... well, cars... but the guy said they had 'previously inventoried' or 'previously shown' cars for sell...

What does that mean? Used? Certified? Who knows.... I will have to listen some more and see if it pops up again...

SOOO, what strange things have you heard or seen in advertising that is trying to hide what is actually being sold?
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:52 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I answer the phone. A recorded voice says “Don’t hang up. This is not a sales call.” Then they launch into a sales pitch for pain management services.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I answer the phone. A recorded voice says “Don’t hang up. This is not a sales call.” Then they launch into a sales pitch for pain management services.
I got the same one. They are now blocked on the call blocker.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
Gone but not forgotten

The one I love, is the (all kinds) TV ad for (your choice)an item that is a fantastic buy for only $19.95... and if you order now, "Free Shipping!".

Wait!!!!... If you buy now, we'll send a second one, free shipping . Just pay a separate fee.

Duh.... anyone know what that means?
Old 10-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe they charge for "handling?"

I'm always tempted to call and say "Send me the product. Don't bother handling it."

Disposable diapers were relatively new when I was young. And nowhere near as high-tech as they are now. To this day I remember thinking how odd it was that one company advertised that they used a "real hourglass design."

I wondered, what is the alternative? A "fake hourglass design?" That extra word (real) had no meaning at all. Either it has an hourglass design, or it doesn't. It's not made out of a "real" hourglass!

Once I started looking for those emotionally charged but meaningless words, I found them all over, in just about every ad and product package.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post

Once I started looking for those emotionally charged but meaningless words, I found them all over, in just about every ad and product package.
As an elective in college I took a class in Marketing. It was one of the more enlightening classes about a daily life issue (advertising) that I have ever taken.

There are people who spend entire careers studying store lighting, product display and photography, packaging colors and layout and on and on and on, with the sole objective of "creating value in the consumer's mind" i.e., making you want to buy something you didn't know you wanted.

Personally I'm hard put to think of a more stupefyingly boring career than that.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #7

One of the divisions of my megacrap was in the food chain biz. When you see that juicy burger, steak, chicken, etc on tv, rest assured, it's plastic. Ditto for salads, veggies, everything.

A real burger could have the cheese on one side more than the other. Nothing left to chance.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
Administrator

When it comes to marketing-speak, nothing beats the definition of save. The more you spend, the more you save.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:43 PM   #9

Capitalism is built on the premise that we will buy things from each other, rather then let the government control goods and services....for lack of a better term, it takes ‘advertising’ to make this work.... what we all find distasteful is called puffery...and it’s not necessarily illegal to boast or exaggerate claims.. outright intentional lying and misdirection is fraud and is, of course, illegal. BTW, I spent 40 years in advertising and I loved it. It was wonderful to help a business succeed and grow.. but many times I walked away from crooks and liars and those who preyed upon people’s weaknesses. Sacrificed hundreds of thousands in billings over the years.
Now, if you want to talk about political advertising, that opens a whole new category of sewage.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
When it comes to marketing-speak, nothing beats the definition of save. The more you spend, the more you save.
My ex-wife was one to get caught up in that. She came home one afternoon all proud that what she bought was all on sale and that she'd "saved" at least 30% on everything. I said "How much would you have saved if you'd stayed home?"

That did NOT go over well.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Could it have been "previously owned"? I hear that a lot. It means used.

My favorite adjective, for things being sold, is "estate." It means "Dead people's used stuff."

Also, real estate ad copy never mentions houses. It's always "homes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

It was a car company selling... well, cars... but the guy said they had 'previously inventoried' or 'previously shown' cars for sell...
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My ex-wife was one to get caught up in that. She came home one afternoon all proud that what she bought was all on sale and that she'd "saved" at least 30% on everything. I said "How much would you have saved if you'd stayed home?"

That did NOT go over well.
Just before we left Saudi, (things were cheaper there), my late wife loaded up on 'stuff'...she came home one time and told me how much we'd 'saved'......I told her that we couldn't afford to save any more money.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:09 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Could it have been "previously owned"? I hear that a lot. It means used.

My favorite adjective, for things being sold, is "estate." It means "Dead people's used stuff."

Also, real estate ad copy never mentions houses. It's always "homes."

I think it was previously inventoried.... they did not use owned as that would not have triggered my brain to say 'what?'...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:51 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The weird one I saw the other day was a big (probably 8' wide by 3' tall) red banner hanging on the outside of the Sears Outlet saying "Payments of only $8.76 per month!" with a footnote about a $199 purchase price or something with the payments over 24 months or whatever.

Absolutely no mention of what the actual product for sale was.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:01 PM   #15

'Get a free 30 day supply of max-bliss potion. Pay for shipping and handling only!!!' And of course they make their profit on the 'shipping and handling'. Product costs them $1. Actual shipping and handling costs them $3. And they charge you $9.95 for 'shipping and hnadling'. Boom : $5.95 profit per sucker.
John Galt III is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #16

I don't recall if it was Crazy Eddie or Mad Man Muntz who said in his commercials:
"I loose money on every thing I sell , so how do I stay in Business ? Volume ! "
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

About 10 or 15 years ago, the word "melted" was banished from all advertising copy. The password now must be "melty."

Additionally, since that word is usually used with "cheese," rarely do you find cheese to be your standard cheese. No, it is now "artisan" cheese. Which means nothing. It could still be created by huge machines. But as long as someone who could be called an "artisan" was looking over it during production, then it is artisan cheese.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

"You deserve it!"

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Has anyone ever bought the second item that said "just pay separate fee"?

I'm still not clear on the answer...
Old 11-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

"Chocolatey chips." I think it means "doesn't contain very much chocolate, but imitates the look and taste of chocolate."

"Crispy," rather than merely crisp.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote