Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

StreamSmart - Users? What Is It? How Does It Work?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

StreamSmart - Users? What Is It? How Does It Work?

A friend of mine just purchased a StreamSmart box for several hundred dollars. See attached StreamSmart description below. They are just learning how to use the device/system and it seems too good to be true. Yes, I know... if it seems too good to be true it probably is to good to be true (or legal).

Here's a link to the StreamSmart web site:

Official Website of StreamSmart TV Media Streaming Player

This product was sold by a reputable dealer in the RV industry. The product was promoted (and my friend purchased the product) from the reputable dealer at a recent RV show. The product (and similar products with other brand names) is sold on Amazon.

With this box and an internet connection you can watch nearly anything your heart desires. We searched last night and watched portions of classic movies, current TV shows, "original content" shows like Game of Thrones and House of Cards as well as sports programs.

The menu system allows the user to page through and find various listings for all kinds of video offerings. Most of the video items we searched for provided 720p or sometimes slightly lower video quality. Certainly very viewable quality in my opinion.

Is anyone out there using StreamSmart or some similar product? What is this box actually doing? and... How is it accomplishing this?

I'm told it's legal. How can that be? Apparently Napster was legal to stream music but people were downloading (i.e. saving) music and that wasn't legal.

What's the real story on this product and how long will my friend (yes, it really is a friend and not me) be able to use this box?

Moderators: I searched but did not find a similar thread. If I'm duplicating an existing topic please add my post to another thread.
Attached Images
File Type: png streamsmart.PNG (9.6 KB, 27 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It looks like a box that runs KODI software. https://kodi.tv/ This will also run on on a laptop, or desktop computer. I have never use it, however, if you search the web you will find lots of reviews and discussions. As to the StreamSmart device it sounds rather expensive especially if you have a computer that will install the KODI software.

Here is the CNET review: Kodi - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

It sounds a lot like a device that does the same thing the ROKU or Apple TV does, but more money.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 12:42 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks for the reply.

Is there any value to having a separate device running the software? For instance, does a separate device (regardless of StreamSmart or some other brand) protect me from computer viruses in any way?

The menu of StreamSmart (and I presume other brands) indicates the device is scanning hundreds, if not thousands, of web sites. This sounds like an easy way for viruses to enter the system if I simply run the software on my computer rather than connect through a separate box.

I know very little about this obviously. Just looking for a good way to accomplish using KODI in the most secure manner.