Sue Grafton - dead at 77

This is sad news!

I love her books. Currently reading J is for Judgement. Started re-reading her series this summer.

RIP

I'm so sad about this.

I started reading the alphabet series when the books first came out in my twenties. They were a small but constant fixture in my life.

I re-read the entire series a couple of years ago, around the time of publication of X.

Looks like there will be no Z. Somehow, that's fitting.

RIP, Sue and Kinsey.

Last edited:
My wife is very saddened from her death.

This is very sad. Condolences to her loved ones.

I enjoyed reading her books starting in my late twenties. Thanks for the memories, Sue.

I have read all of her books but my favorite is "Kinsey and Me " .It is about her upbringing and how she started writing .So sad !

I re-read the entire series a couple of years ago, around the time of publication of X.

Looks like there will be no Z. Somehow, that's fitting.

I wouldn't bet on it. Robert Parkers books have continued for years past his death. Same with Vince Flynn. And Brandon Sanderson's last four books for Robert Jordan's Dragon Reborn series were excellent. I'm positive if George R.R. Martin dies before finishing Game of Thrones that someone else will complete it. I'm not sure I approve, but I seem to keep reading them.

I wouldn't bet on it. Robert Parkers books have continued for years past his death. Same with Vince Flynn. And Brandon Sanderson's last four books for Robert Jordan's Dragon Reborn series were excellent. I'm positive if George R.R. Martin dies before finishing Game of Thrones that someone else will complete it. I'm not sure I approve, but I seem to keep reading them.

I just read an article in which her husband was quoted as saying (today) that "there will be no Z." According to the article, she was adamant all her life about two things: (1) that her books never be made into movies, and (2) that there never be a ghostwriter writing the series.

Good for her! I enjoyed her stories up through N or so, then I stopped reading them for some reason. I'll start over and read them all sometime soon. RIP Sue!

I quit reading James Patterson books a number of years ago when I figured out he wasn't writing them. His early books were pretty good, but it became obvious from the writing styles that he was pawning his ideas off to other people to write. It just struck me as wrong.

I really liked the Alphabet series, and sad that she didn't finish it. She had notes/ideas for Z as it was announced and titled - to have been released in the fall of 2019. I respect her (and really wonderful her family is abiding by her wishes) not wanting anyone else attempting to finish her most famous body of work, but how sad for all the fans that won't ever know what she'd intended for the characters and series ending.

She will be greatly missed by mystery fans.

I just read an article in which her husband was quoted as saying (today) that "there will be no Z." According to the article, she was adamant all her life about two things: (1) that her books never be made into movies, and (2) that there never be a ghostwriter writing the series.

That'll last until her heirs (hubby or kids) reach the point they're wanting to make a few extra bucks.

Look for "Z is for Zero" to be ghostwritten a few years down the line...

The publishers could put her daughter’s name on it as the author and then have it ghostwritten if necessary. Or have another mystery writer, like Lisa Scottoline, write it—I saw that the late Elizabeth Peters’ last Amanda Peabody was just published this summer after being finished by Joan Hess.

But I like that Sue Grafton’s family said the alphabet ends at X. RIP Sue and Kinsey.

That'll last until her heirs (hubby or kids) reach the point they're wanting to make a few extra bucks.

Look for "Z is for Zero" to be ghostwritten a few years down the line...

New York Times, 12/29/17:

Attachments

• Grafton.png
    Grafton.png
    92.3 KB · Views: 9
Back
Top Bottom