Suggest a Biography

Arc

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm ready to start another book and looking for a good biography. My interest is in successful people in the business or historical arenas - prefer dead people (too much spin and bias on the living). No entertainers or sports figures. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

Just started listerning to books on tape while walking...Get from the library either non-fiction or biography...It is difficult to walk and pay stricked attention to fiction...

Anyway I just finished Andy Rooney's war years as a journalist with The Stars and Stripes...Read by him and very interesting...

Winston Churchill ... very much enjoyed one of his biographies. A great life of precocious youth, rejection, fulfillment of great leadership potential, and then ... rejection again. Fascinating.

Some great quotes as well.

For instance, allegedly:
Female member of Parliament: "Winston, you are drunk!"
Churchill: "Madam, you, are ugly. And, in the morning, I shall be sober!". ;)

I really enjoyed J.P. Getty's bio. Son got it for me for Christmas about 2 years after I took him & his sister to the museum when it was on Pacific Coast Hwy.

The Hermit of Peking. The story of a British baronet who moved to China about 100 years ago, went native, and scammed the British govt pretending to be a spy. And lots more.

I suppose you've covered Abraham Lincoln already?

If not, don't start now! I read Gore Vidal's historical novel ten years ago. About a hundred-and-fifty Lincoln / Civil War books later, I'm still at it...

Arc said:
I'm ready to start another book and looking for a good biography. My interest is in successful people in the business or historical arenas - prefer dead people (too much spin and bias on the living).
How about Ron Chernow's biographies of Alexander Hamilton, John Rockefeller, or J.P. Morgan?

Roger Lowenstein's biography of Buffett is pretty low-spin, as is Kirkpatrick's "Of Permanent Value", although the latter is 10 years out of date.

I've just finished Colin Powell's "Soldier". Mega-spin in many directions but a fascinating insight into his character and those around him. Book report to follow, but let's just say that it's made me pray very fervently for the continued good health of George W. Bush throughout the next two-plus years...

Nords said:
How about Ron Chernow's biographies of Alexander Hamilton, John Rockefeller, or J.P. Morgan?

Roger

Funny you mentioned these - I've read them all - Rockefeller and JP Morgan just this past year. Chernow is pretty good. Add to that Carnegie and I've covered many of the Robber Barons - a facinating time period.

Was considering reading on Henry Ford or Andrew Mellon (just came out) - unless a better idea came up on this thread.

Arc said:
I'm ready to start another book and looking for a good biography. My interest is in successful people in the business or historical arenas - prefer dead people (too much spin and bias on the living). No entertainers or sports figures. Anyone have a suggestion? Thanks
I enjoyed " John Adams" by David McCullough very much. It was one the best book I have ever read.

Here are a few autobiographies you might enjoy:
- Marriott
- Conrad Hilton
- Sam Walton
- Ray Krok

I suggest a biography of Benjamin Franklin. He is one interesting guy. The one I like was by E.W. Brands.

Ray

boathole said:
I suggest a biography of Benjamin Franklin. He is one interesting guy. The one I like was by E.W. Brands.

Ben is one of my few heros! I'm going to put that book on my reading list. But I believe the author is H.W. Brands.

I'm reading Tom Brokaw's "The Greatest Generation" right now which is a bunch of little biographies of very interesting people.

Here are some that I have enjoyed:

Captain James Cook by Richard Hough

Lincoln by David Herbert Donald

Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton by Edward Rice

Thanks for all the suggestions - am very surprised that I've already read many of them - great minds must think alike. Going to go ahead and read the Henry Ford story, "The Peoples Tycoon". I'll let you know how it turns out - rumor has it he started some big company or something. :D

Back
Top Bottom