Join Early Retirement Today

Suggest a cheap TV Remote - with this basic feature?
Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Suggest a cheap TV Remote - with this basic feature?

Googling for this just returned too many useless hits, so maybe the smart humans here can decode the request better:

We use OTA digital for our TVs (no cable) and there are dozens of stations that we pick up. But 4 or 5 that we commonly watch (and sometimes one of their sub.channels), and maybe another 6 we occasionally watch.

The TVs/remotes we have only let you select channels direct (punching in "3" "2" "." "1" ) or 'LAST' (for the last viewed). There is no list of "favorites" where we could have 10 common channels programmed. The TV also does not have this feature (if you pull it off the list, it won't let you select it even directly - stupid).

So, what I'm looking for is something cheap that can simply be programmed with ~ 10 favorite channels each assigned to their own button. Not some fancy, expensive LCD thing with a million options. I'm going to hit the stores today and look around, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Next closest would be something that accepts 10 'favorites' with an UP/DOWN button to scroll thru them, but I'd really prefer a button for each of ~ 10 favorites.

TIA- ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

You want a One-For-All remote with a Favorites button.
In the CBL/SAT or TV mode,you can store a list of up to 10 favorite channels, in any order,that will be immediately scanned when FAV is pressed (see Using Channel Scan on the previous page).

That remote also allows you to program macros, which are good, but you can only record two macros for each device (on ours at least).

It works like this:

PROGRAMMING FAVORITE
CHANNEL SCAN
In the TV , VCR, DVD or CBL/SAT mode, you
can store a list of up to 10 favorite channels,
in any order, that will be immediately
scanned when you press FAV (see “Using
Channel Scan” on page11).
NOTE: Only channels of one mode can be
stored for Favorite Channel Scan.
1.On the remote control, press TV , VCR,
DVD or CBL/SAT once.
2.Press and hold SET until the LED (red
light) blinks twice, then release SET .
3.Enter 9 9 6. The LED will blink twice.
4.Use the keypad to enter a favorite
channel number (e.g., 031). Then press
SET once.
NOTE: If the original remote control required
pressing an ENTER key to change the channel,
also press the ENTER key after the channel
number (e.g., 0 3 1 ENTER).
5.If desired, repeat step 4 (in this
section) for each favorite channel to be
stored, up to a total of 10 channels.

Here is the manual for ours: Manual

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, I'll look for those while I'm out.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote