Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Suggestion needed: Flashlight-style with flexible handle?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Suggestion needed: Flashlight-style with flexible handle?

Anyone on this board who does alot of work on their auto or their home that uses a flashlight/floodlight with a flexible style handle that you can wrap around a pipe or stand on a floor? I really liked this one from DeWalt, but the reviews are just so-so, and it's pretty pricey at almost $100 including the battery (DW908 at $60) and shipping:
Amazon.com: DEWALT DW919 18 Volt Flexible Floodlight, No Battery: Home Improvement

I've already gone thru the Craftsman Tool website, but saw nothing like this floodlight from DeWalt.
Any suggestions at all as to where I can find something similar--but works better than the so-so reviews I read on Amazon?
This is supposed to be a surprise birthday gift to my son who loves to work on his car when he can. Plus, someday he'll have his own house and can use it.
And I'll pay the $100 if it's worth it and works well (plus, it has lasting power).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have an older version of this
Black & Decker Power Tools
The newer version may be brighter. It is wonderful for those tight spots and awkward angles.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

all the gimmicky flashlights - flex, magnetic, pop out stand, etc. have been just that for me. Bright and good batteries trumps the lot, though i have enjoyed a $2 4" LED light from TrueValue hardware - currently on sale. Has the added advantage of fitting in a pocket. $100 is wasted money IMO - and i do plenty of underhouse or sink work and did make my living twisting wrenches on cars.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I have a fluorescent work light exactly like this:

It's nice because it doesn't get hot. Also, I have had it for maybe 15 years, and haven't had to replace the "bulb." I did have to put duct tape on the back so that the shines only in one direction. I'm usually able to find a place to prop it so that it shines on my work.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I got a 'snake light' years ago for Christmas, but was always wasting time adjusting it, pointing it, etc., so I'm still a 'flashlight in the mouth guy' (always able to point it exactly where I want it).
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

When I converted to presbyopianism I found that headlights are an essential tool.

I like any multi-LED model from Lowes or Home Depot. I especially enjoy the models with multiple pushbutton settings for a narrow beam white (*click*) narrow beam red (*click*) wide beam white (*click*) wide beam red.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:35 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I converted to presbyopianism I found that headlights are an essential tool.

I like any multi-LED model from Lowes or Home Depot. I especially enjoy the models with multiple pushbutton settings for a narrow beam white (*click*) narrow beam red (*click*) wide beam white (*click*) wide beam red.
+1 on the headlights,i use one similar to this one Google Image Result for http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00aMDTZckfHLqOM/8-LEDs-Headlamp-Headlight-T3017-A-.jpg
Old 04-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #8

Nords, what is presbyopianism? I can't even find that word in Webster's.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a couple of Snakelight knockoffs that I think I bought for around $5, back when. I wrap one around my neck so they point where I'm looking.
My latest gadget flashlight is an LED one that clips to the brim of a ballcap. Works great for this nearsighted guy!
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #10

I must be deprived cause I have used an old fashioned work light for years. It works for me. I think I paid $7 for it.

MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Delete nism from the end of the word, try again.

I have at least a 8 different flashlights, drop lights, 600W halogen, to LED penlight. For different types of search and destroy find and repair tasks.

Finding them when needed is a different story.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM   #12

Guess I go to True Value or Sears and just shop for strong flashlights then. Thanks for all the suggestions. They all seem to be in the same vein, and no need to spend much money then. Thanks all!
Old 04-08-2009, 12:30 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Sorry, I don't deal with this condition very well and I try to joke my way through it:

Main Entry: pres·by·o·pia
: a visual condition which becomes apparent especially in middle age and in which loss of elasticity of the lens of the eye causes defective accommodation and inability to focus sharply for near vision.

In other words, it's not just the reading glasses-- it's the need for high-intensity contrast lighting.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 04-08-2009, 07:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Nords, what is presbyopianism?
Thank goodness it's only a medical condition. I was afraid that you were referring to some sort of weird lifestyle - protestant drug addition or something.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:45 AM   #15

I did look up the word and the meaning. Never heard of it before, so thanks for teaching it, guys!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Thank goodness it's only a medical condition. I was afraid that you were referring to some sort of weird lifestyle - protestant drug addition or something.
If there was a drug addiction that'd eliminate my need for reading glasses and/or contact lenses, I'd be buying it...

I'm traumatized enough to snivel & whine about it, but not yet to the point where I'd go for guinea pig flexible lens implants.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #17

Good thing you're not a woman, Nords, or you'd have some real problems putting on makeup with that eye condition...