Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

suggestions for a "new" used car
Old 09-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

suggestions for a "new" used car

Hello all!

I'm in the market for a "new" used car. I thought perhaps I might get some useful leads here on cars to research that would fit the following parameters (or perhaps great sites that help me narrow my focus based upon these parameters):
  • narrow (our new place has a very narrow one car garage)
    seats 4 comfortably
    good cargo space for luggage (we expect to pick visitors up at the airport a fair amount)
    smooth ride
    good acceleration on highways
    luxury features would be nice - like leather interior, sun roof, automatic seats
    good safety rating

I love autotempest for finding used cars, but it doesn't help me figure out how to narrow my focus. I need to come up with 2 or 3 models that I am interested in...right now it just seems like there are tons of options for subcompact cars, but none that seem to have a bit of a luxury feel. I'm thinking there has to be a car that combines both features...I hope?

Appreciate any suggestions!

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #2

I always use edmunds.com and cars.com to research the specs and features of cars. I make a simple spreadsheet to compare them.

All the parameters you mentioned can be found on those sites.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about a high end Toyota Prius? Those look narrow to me. A friend of mine has one and it has a surprising amount of luggage space and seats 4 comfortably.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:52 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

subaru forester turbo
Old 09-28-2016, 07:53 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In our area, due to low gas pricing, can get lightly used Chevy Volt for a good price, espiecally compared to new pricing. Not sure it meets your criteria regarding luggage space or acceleration.
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:02 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE2Boys View Post
In our area, due to low gas pricing, can get lightly used Chevy Volt for a good price, espiecally compared to new pricing. Not sure it meets your criteria regarding luggage space or acceleration.
I like the Volt but it probably won't meet the "seats 4 comfortably" requirement. When I sat in the back seat I had zero headroom - and I'm only 5' 9".
Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If you are interested in a SUV, the new class of subcompact SUVs has really caught on. I've heard good things about the Buick re ride and options. Car and Driver
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you are interested in a SUV, the new class of subcompact SUVs has really caught on. I've heard good things about the Buick re ride an options. Car and Driver
holy blind spot batman!

(Foresters have nearly 360 degree vision)
Old 09-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
holy blind spot batman!

(Foresters have nearly 360 degree vision)
I know how you feel about Foresters from previous threads and will not engage.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
subaru forester turbo
I previously owned a Legacy GT, which I believe has the same powerplant. Very fun to drive, spirited car. I was always a bit leery of the turbo's reliability as I understand they have had issues with that powerplant and that was a cause of concern in the trade-in value I was offered. However, there is a niche of fanatics over the car out there and I was able to sell it on Craigslist and get a good offer (the guy drove 3 hours to test drive it and buy it).

When I first bought the Legacy GT premium was about 25 cents a gallon more than regular. During the period of my ownership the price difference became greater. I would not buy a car that required premium gas again.

Around here the only way to get the Forester turbo is to order it or have the dealer try to find one as they are rare, at least around here.

I actually think the Outback is a slightly better car than the Forester for just a little more money. I find the I-4 to be sufficient, but not near as fun as the turbo was.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Ah, Subaru's are a second tier, low volume auto manufacturer. Dealers are few and far between, and there more of a snow car of the north. We seldom even see one.

Go for a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion or Nissan Altima. They're roomy, ride good, run good and get surprisingly good fuel mileage for the size car they are. They also have good dealership bases and parts/service is readily available on any of them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I previously owned a Legacy GT, which I believe has the same powerplant. Very fun to drive, spirited car. I was always a bit leery of the turbo's reliability as I understand they have had issues with that powerplant and that was a cause of concern in the trade-in value I was offered. However, there is a niche of fanatics over the car out there and I was able to sell it on Craigslist and get a good offer (the guy drove 3 hours to test drive it and buy it).

When I first bought the Legacy GT premium was about 25 cents a gallon more than regular. During the period of my ownership the price difference became greater. I would not buy a car that required premium gas again.

Around here the only way to get the Forester turbo is to order it or have the dealer try to find one as they are rare, at least around here.

I actually think the Outback is a slightly better car than the Forester for just a little more money. I find the I-4 to be sufficient, but not near as fun as the turbo was.
LGTs are fun and yes, there are a few (of us) fanatics that will buy them

The PCV systems on the early turbo models (were crap and) caused oil starvation which is why they have that issue - it's been fixed on the newer models. I have a crawford air/oil separator on my 09 FXT

I run E85 in my forester during the summer....cheap race fuel lol
Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Ah, Subaru's are a second tier, low volume auto manufacturer. Dealers are few and far between, and there more of a snow car of the north. We seldom even see one.

Go for a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Ford Fusion or Nissan Altima. They're roomy, ride good, run good and get surprisingly good fuel mileage for the size car they are. They also have good dealership bases and parts/service is readily available on any of them.
they are relatively rare down south, that's for sure, there are a TON of them here for a reason
Old 09-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I am partial to the Honda CRV. Ours seats 4 comfortably, has sufficient cargo space, decent gas mileage, decent acceleration, and is comfortable.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 03:58 PM   #15

Taking notes! Thanks for all of the ideas to explore.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

1959 Cadillac??
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:26 AM   #17
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A gently used 2-3 yo VW GTI will satisfy your parameters and, if you get one with a good trim package, you'll think you're driving an Audi..@ a VW price.

PS: It's not a diesel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (645.2 KB, 8 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
I am partial to the Honda CRV. Ours seats 4 comfortably, has sufficient cargo space, decent gas mileage, decent acceleration, and is comfortable.
Would second this and add a Jeep Cherokee Limited. It is smaller than the Grand Cherokee. We love ours. They get bad press for some reason, but alongside our BMW, it is one of the best cars we've ever had. Lots of value for the money.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
You cannot go wrong with any Honda, and the new generation CRV is really a good vehicle. We're on our second Civic SI.

The new Ford Escape has also been redone, and it's every bit just as good.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:19 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
A gently used 2-3 yo VW GTI will satisfy your parameters and, if you get one with a good trim package, you'll think you're driving an Audi..@ a VW price.

PS: It's not a diesel.
The GTI's are great vehicles, and the Golf family of cars has always been fantastic vehicles. I'd love to have the diesel and put a tuner on it for pretty incredible perfomance and fuel mileage. All the VW's are different from other vehicles--different engineering makes them difficult to work on.

Outside of the big cities, their dealer base is few and far between. And they're going to be high profit vehicles as their dealers don't have any high volume vehicles (trucks) to pay the bills.