Suggestions for fixing laptop

Changing over is not for everyone as some things are done differently.

That said, I read something (forget where) about Win vs Linux. Paraphrasing here: On Win, what you learned in the past tends to get changed and more confusing in the long run. On the other hand, for Linux, change doesn't happen so often. So, once learned, sticks around more.

I was thinking of it more for my grandson to do in order to learn something over the summer. Kind of a computer camp exercise.

To OP, yes, it does sound like there’s isomething using up all the memory and then what happens is it gets written to the hard drive, which is obviously slower. An SSD will make this appear fixed because it is essentially a big hunk of RAM. I’d make sure whatever is causing this is known first to see if you actually want to invest money so that program can run. If it is a program using memory, then I would start with some extra memory as it should be cheaper and fix the problem. OTOH, all my machines (that I use regularly) have SSD’s and I love them. I get an SSD large enough to hold my programs and a regular HD for the data files. I also get a good amount of RAM. Machines boot up very quick and operate very fast. Way more than what I need for my uses, but way more satisfying to use.

I was thinking of it more for my grandson to do in order to learn something over the summer. Kind of a computer camp exercise.

To OP, yes, it does sound like there’s isomething using up all the memory and then what happens is it gets written to the hard drive, which is obviously slower. An SSD will make this appear fixed because it is essentially a big hunk of RAM. I’d make sure whatever is causing this is known first to see if you actually want to invest money so that program can run. If it is a program using memory, then I would start with some extra memory as it should be cheaper and fix the problem. OTOH, all my machines (that I use regularly) have SSD’s and I love them. I get an SSD large enough to hold my programs and a regular HD for the data files. I also get a good amount of RAM. Machines boot up very quick and operate very fast. Way more than what I need for my uses, but way more satisfying to use.

Sounds like a good exercise. Is this something you'll do with the grandson? Kinda like building a model airplane together in the old days.

Isn't Photoshop a memory hog? I wonder if that might be the program sucking up the RAM.

For the SSD folks out there, I assume you have a good backup of the system? As for SSDs, if they fail, isn't the data not as forgiving as HDDs in that they get lost and are not recoverable? I haven't jumped on yet as still waiting for prices to go down. When a 1TB SSD goes for under $100, might be an offer I can't refuse. I do have a couple of SSHDs which are faster than HDD but I'm sure not as quick as all SSD.

For the SSD folks out there, I assume you have a good backup of the system? As for SSDs, if they fail, isn't the data not as forgiving as HDDs in that they get lost and are not recoverable? I haven't jumped on yet as still waiting for prices to go down. When a 1TB SSD goes for under $100, might be an offer I can't refuse. I do have a couple of SSHDs which are faster than HDD but I'm sure not as quick as all SSD.

That’s why you only load your programs on the SSD and use a regular HD for the data. There’s no significant speed advantage to load your data on the SSD. Maybe technically, but not practically.

And, yes, I’d do the laptop change with my grandson. Might even show him how to remove some parts so it’s a software and a hardware exercise.

Last edited:
That’s why you only load your programs on the SSD and use a regular HD for the data. There’s no significant speed advantage to load your data on the SSD. Maybe technically, but not practically.

And, yes, I’d do the laptop change with my grandson. Might even show him how to remove some parts so it’s a software and a hardware exercise.

I've been lazy and just use a SSHD as the firmware decides for me what goes where based on use. Don't have to think. But, do which a SSHD came with more memory.

I like the idea of you showing your grandson how to remove some parts.
I remember a time when I was too afraid to open up the case just to install something like a CD writer.

Lots of regular folks don't think of a computer as made up of parts. So when something goes wrong, instead of just changing the part, they are ready to chuck the whole computer.

A good backup system or routine is vital regardless of HDD or SSD. I've had a few HDD die on me, but it was no issue as I had backups. At work we had some HDD die, a couple we could freeze and quickly copy off data, others were toasted no matter what we did.

We were not going to pay thousands to a recovery company as the cost was too great. Again just went to backups (even if offsite pain).

If you are on Linux and want to run a Windows 10 program one option is run a virtual machine. Microsoft has images of Windows 10 available for free.

LOL... I sent the link provided to my DWs email and told her I was going to fix her computer....

Her comment 'my computer is fine, you have yours, leave mine alone'!!!

Still going to try and find the problem, but I guess it will just stay the way it is if I cannot find anything easily....

Back
Top Bottom