Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Suggestions for how to hang this decor item
Old 01-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Suggestions for how to hang this decor item

Looking for suggestions as how to attach this metal wall decor item to a textured lanai wall (which is painted cement stucco).

It consists of various sizes of metal circles, welded together, made of 1/4" square tubing.

It weighs ~4 lbs. And it's overall dimensions are nominally 30" x 30".

I have a similar decorative piece hanging on an indoor wall (drywall). It's supported by 2 small brads, which are almost invisible. I'm looking for a similar "not obvious" (nearly invisible) means of hanging this item on the lanai wall. I'd prefer not to drill holes in the wall, if possible.

The wall of the lanai where I am trying to hang this is out of the weather, but being in Florida, humidity is a factor.

This piece needs to be able to be easily removed, as it will be taken down and stored indoors when I button-up my FL condo for the summer.

Here's a picture of the decor item and the wall surface texture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg circles wall decor.jpg (804.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg circles - lanai wall.jpg (675.5 KB, 32 views)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Looking for suggestions as how to attach this metal wall decor item to a textured lanai wall (which is painted cement stucco).

What is under the stucco (wood framing? concrete blocks?).
It really only weighs 4 lbs?
What would you think about drilling some holes into the back side of the steel tubing? That way you could use two anchors into the wall (concrete anchors or wood screws, depending on what is back there), and slide their heads into the holes to keep it in place.

If you don't want holes in the wall, then I'd think you'd need to suspend it from wires anchored somewhere unobtrusive up top (in the soffit support rail?). And that won't be pretty if the wind picks up.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

At ~4 lbs, it is light enough that one fastener should do.

I would probably drill a small hole with a drill and a concrete bit and then put in a screw and paint the screw the same color as the wall and declare victory. I've done that to hang things on my lanai.

Or if you really don't want to drill you might try a fastener with some sort of adhesive and paint the fastener the same color as the wall, but I'm not sure how well an adhesive fastener would hold particularly since the surface that it would be mounted to is textured.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
What is under the stucco (wood framing? concrete blocks?).
It really only weighs 4 lbs?
What would you think about drilling some holes into the back side of the steel tubing? That way you could use two anchors into the wall (concrete anchors or wood screws, depending on what is back there), and slide their heads into the holes to keep it in place.

If you don't want holes in the wall, then I'd think you'd need to suspend it from wires anchored somewhere unobtrusive up top (in the soffit support rail?). And that won't be pretty if the wind picks up.
Concrete block wall behind the stucco.

Yup, it weighs 4 lbs.

Hadn't thought of drilling into the steel tubing. Will 'noodle' on that a bit. Perhaps 2 small stick-on hooks (If I can get them to stick to that textured wall) might work? Or velcro?

Don't want UFOs (Unwanted Flying Objects) during windy days (although this area is sheltered/out of the wind, typically.)

omni
Old 01-22-2020, 10:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
At 4 lbs a fishing line hanging down from the ceiling (if any) would hold it.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
At ~4 lbs, it is light enough that one fastener should do.

I would probably drill a small hole with a drill and a concrete bit and then put in a screw and paint the screw the same color as the wall and declare victory. I've done that to hang things on my lanai.

Or if you really don't want to drill you might try a fastener with some sort of adhesive and paint the fastener the same color as the wall, but I'm not sure how well an adhesive fastener would hold particularly since the surface that it would be mounted to is textured.
A screw (or more likely 2, as it is not well-balanced weight-wise and I'll want to specifically "position" the item rather than hang it from one point and have it find its own balance point).

omni
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
At 4 lbs a fishing line hanging down from the ceiling (if any) would hold it.
That's a thought. I think the ceiling may be drywall. Will have to investigate.

omni
Old 01-23-2020, 03:56 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

will it rust on lanai? is it a conditioned space, i'd be concerned about rust and where it touches wall staining.
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

A few of these might work. Coax cable mounting clips. Just use black screws instead or use a black sharpie to "paint" the screw heads.

The problem is that these screws may not hold in the stucco and you would have to use drywall anchors to hold the clips to the wall.

In any case, I cannot think of anything that would work without drilling small holes in the stucco.

https://www.amazon.com/STEREN-Grip-C...26442882&psc=1
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:27 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Try foam double face tape (3M). I've known that stuff to adhere to many surfaces and the foam portion provides some flexibility. Apply the tape to all surfaces on the item that will contact the wall, trim the tape back to the edges of the item, remove the adhesive protector, and then stick it to the wall.
CDRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:57 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

If the thing is hung from wires, there's a good chance it will swing and bang enough to cause a lot of marring, and where it contacts the wall and there will be rust. A couple of discrete screws and some small plastic washers or bumpers on the back will keep it steady and reduce marring/rust on the stucco.
Before using adhesive, have a plan to get it off that stucco someday. Acetone might work, but might not be kind to your paint or whatever is under it.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote