Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2021, 11:27 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Please no politics, etc...

Well the 2020 (2021) Summer Olympics officially opened today in Japan.

Are you interested? (maybe not for this old crowd )

If yes, what are your favorite event(s)?

Personally I like most of the track and field events (e.g. especially running) as well as all weight classes in weight lifting and boxing plus the freestyle swimming events...

Impressive to me is the commitment it takes for the guys and gals to compete at that level. Maybe I'm interested because I was on the track team for one year in High School (high hurdles) and later competed in AAU weight lifting while in my early/mid 20's. Ah, those were the days! But I wasn't even close to the level of these guys/gals which makes it all the more impressive to me.
so far no interest ... Not sure if we can even get it since we cut the cord till College Football Season starts
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I will watch some of the track events, some women’s indoor volleyball because two of the players are from my university, some whitewater canoeing if I can find the right channel for it and probably some women’ gymnastics. I also much prefer the Winter Olympics.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I admit that I haven't been super motivated to find out how/where.
Which streaming service will give me LIVE coverage?
Or is there coverage that NBC will absolutely not show live?

retire-early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #24

You do realize that Japan is in a very different time zone?
Old 07-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post

I'm in Canada, but NBC I think is the Olympic sponsor channel in the US. I believe you can watch a lot of things live on their website. Same here in Canada. I have no cable, but I've been watching the Olympics (some live) on CBC.ca.
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post

USA, CNBC, NBCSN, Olympics channel all have live coverage, so any streaming service that includes those will give you lots to watch. I think you can see all of them in the NBC Sports App if you have that. You can also try Peacock. They've been mentioned in the commercials that I'm fast-forwarding through.

There is no live action between ~7 AM and ~5 PM PDT because people in Japan are asleep then.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:39 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
You do realize that Japan is in a very different time zone?
You can watch the games played in the morning in Japan here in the later afternoon or early evening, depending upon which time zone you may be in. I heard it's been so hot in Tokyo (90F+ with high humidity) that they're trying to schedule outdoor events in their early mornings and late evenings and moving some events to Hokkaido (the northern island) etc...
Old 07-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I heard it's been so hot in Tokyo (90F+ with high humidity) that they're trying to schedule outdoor events in their early mornings and late evenings and moving some events to Hokkaido (the northern island) etc...
Tokyo is on the same latitude as North Carolina, and with a north-flowing ocean current like the US East Coast, I understand the climate is similar.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

no interest
Sniggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:05 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Olympics are probably my favorite sporting event, though I enjoy Winter a little more than Summer. But we'll watch some every day while they're on, as we always do! And having them on at least 4 networks makes it easy to pick sports we enjoy most, obviously we didn't have those choices generations ago.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ1_ View Post
so far no interest ... Not sure if we can even get it since we cut the cord till College Football Season starts
We just have an OTA (Over The Air) antenna and watch it on a local station. No cable or service needed.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:08 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Without fans my interest level is lower than it would otherwise be. I have switched on the network TV channel carrying the games about 6 times so far, each time an advertisement was showing at which point I switched it back off.
triangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:47 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I like watching beach volleyball too. With indoor vball, sometimes I cannot even see where the ball. At least, with beach v, I can see where the ball is the whole time.
That's a good point.

I'm not a sports fan, DW likes Olympics and some other things, so I'll end up seeing some of it. When I first learned of women's beach volleyball, I admit, the attraction was tall, fit women in skimpy bikinis, jumping around - what's not to like?

But I quickly became very interested in the game itself. It 'works' for me in ways many other sports do not. Just two people on a side, each is totally involved every microsecond. The teamwork of two is just a different level than a larger team. It really draws me in.

And as you just pointed out, I can follow the action in a way I find much more difficult in hockey or basketball. And the scores/sets make sense IMO - not so low like soccer and hockey that I question if it really reflects the skill levels (too small a sample size, if you look at it that way). And not so high like in basketball, so many points that it just seems routine and excessive, where I feel "ho-hum another X points, can we just skip to the last 10 minutes to see who wins?".

I watched tonight, as we were watching the g-kids while our DD and hubby are away for the w/e. I'll have to explain this one, lest they get the wrong idea - my 3 1/2 YO grandson is watching along with me, wants to know who is winning, asks about all the sand, and then: "Gwampa - why are they nakie?". Well, it's hot you know...

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Skateboarding Finals were cool tonight.
Beststash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
Skateboarding Finals were cool tonight.
Wow, you're right. Pretty cool. I watched the earlier preliminaries, and most of them looked pretty awful. One Canadian guy fell off the main rail every single time. Others fell off too, but not every time. Those guys in the finals make it look so easy (well, except when they fell... It looks so painful when that happens!) Good thing they reply the highlights in slow motion...
Old 07-25-2021, 12:10 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
.... women's beach volleyball, I admit, the attraction was tall, fit women in skimpy bikinis, jumping around - what's not to like?

.......Well, it's hot you know...

When I first saw it , I thought how obviously a sex attraction thing to get views to watch the Olympics.
Of course, that is how the game originated, so it does make sense.
Do the guys wear speedo's

At least these athletes are dressed properly for the very HOT Humid weather they are having right now, all the other sports except swimming are sweating.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:38 AM   #37
Dryer sheet wannabe

I like to watch the lesser known events. Less extracurricular drama.

But I like the Winter Olympics much better.
sparky08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I'm watching the "Skateboarding" event on TV today as I write this... I didn't even know skateboarding was an Olympic event.

Anyway, these guys are not wearing any protective gear, (e.g no helmets, no knee or elbow pads etc) Riding on a skateboard and jumping up on a handrail and sliding down it, to "hopefully" land on their feet and skateboard on "concrete" pavement...... Not sure that's a sport I'd want to encourage my kids to get involved with. (or anyone for that matter)...
Old 07-25-2021, 11:24 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm watching the "Skateboarding" event on TV today as I write this... I didn't even know skateboarding was an Olympic event.

Anyway, these guys are not wearing any protective gear, (e.g no helmets, no knee or elbow pads etc) Riding on a skateboard and jumping up on a handrail and sliding down it, to "hopefully" land on their feet and skateboard on "concrete" pavement...... Not sure that's a sport I'd want to encourage my kids to get involved with. (or anyone for that matter)...
I was thinking the same thing! No protective gear whatsoever. I bet Some of those athletes must be black and blue after the event as they fell a lot (They should at least wear some kind of butt pads!) One guy even had an arm cast on.

Evidently, this is the first-ever skateboarding event in the Olympics.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing! No protective gear whatsoever. I bet some of those athletes must be black and blue after the event as they fell a lot (They should at least wear some kind of butt pads!) One guy even had an arm cast on.

Evidently, this is the first-ever skateboarding event in the Olympics.
But this is the Olympics.
Not the learner classes.

I also think they must feel the pain when falling, especially that Canadian guy (when I watched).