Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2021, 05:12 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Big disappointment for the US mens 400 meter relay (track) team yesterday. They blew a hand-off and didn't make the finals.... Bummer...

Details in the attached link.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...wdy-story.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 05:49 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Proud of 19 year old Athing Mu's gold in the 800M. Impressive athlete. Also Ryan Crouser and Joe Kovacs winning gold and silver in the shot.

Pulling for Slovenia and Luka Doncic in men's hoops.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 02:48 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

US Women's volleyball, whether on court or sand, has looked better and better as the games go on. It's also a great sport to watch.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #124
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Big disappointment for the US mens 400 meter relay (track) team yesterday. They blew a hand-off and didn't make the finals.... Bummer...

Details in the attached link.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...wdy-story.html
Yeah, that was pretty horrible. The first thing that popped into my head was, “I miss Carl Lewis!”
Popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
Yeah, that was pretty horrible. The first thing that popped into my head was, “I miss Carl Lewis!”
Yes except his handle was not clean either.
Old 08-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #126
Administrator

The US women’s soccer team fell to Canada, who went gone on to win gold. The Canadians must feel somewhat vindicated after losing their 2012 match in part to a poor call by the referee.

Watching the Mexico - Brazil men’s soccer match, one of the announcers kept saying this was a “rematch for Brazil” after Brazil’s loss to Mexico in 2012. I thought a rematch was a follow-on encounter between the same two competitors, and these teams are totally different. Same country but different players = not a rematch.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 05:33 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Really good marathon coverage. Kara Goucher is a natural at this, with a ton of credibility. And I really liked that they kept giving 5K splits so you can get a sense of the race tactics. Incredible run by Molly Seidel.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:46 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Incredible run by Molly Seidel.
+1 Really an outstanding performance (winning the bronze) for such an inexperienced marathon runner. I was on the edge of my chair the last ~15 minutes of that race... I think she was really lucky that one of the 4 leaders in the last few miles "hit her personal wall" and dropped out. And then I thought for sure that runner in 4th place from Ethiopia was going to catch her... In the end, only 26 seconds separated the top three runners in a ~2 and 1/2 hour race...
Old 08-06-2021, 07:19 PM   #129
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
+1 Really an outstanding performance (winning the bronze) for such an inexperienced marathon runner. I was on the edge of my chair the last ~15 minutes of that race... I think she was really lucky that one of the 4 leaders in the last few miles "hit her personal wall" and dropped out. And then I thought for sure that runner in 4th place from Ethiopia was going to catch her... In the end, only 26 seconds separated the top three runners in a ~2 and 1/2 hour race...
Yeah, that was a really amazing race! Even if she'd come in fourth it still would have been a huge accomplishment, but I'm super happy for her that she got a medal.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:27 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

In the final track events today, the US men's 4x400 relay team won Gold, which happened right after the US women's team had won Gold in their 4x400 relay too. Impressive...

Video highlights of both races in the link below.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...event/2918811/
Old 08-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

Watched the last hour of the closing ceremony this morning. Not very well attended by the athletes, but I expected that. The hand-off to Paris for the 2024 summer games was well done.

As I always do, I had some "water in my eyes" as the flame was extinguished. I really do enjoy Olympic competition. Nicely done Tokyo!
nap470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:00 AM   #132
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Hard for me to wrap my head around the fact the winter Olympics start less than six months from now: February 4. Hope NBC learned something from their confusing coverage of Tokyo and come up with a more consolidated and streamlined way to allow viewers to see the events we want to watch in Beijing.
Old 08-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #133
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hard for me to wrap my head around the fact the winter Olympics start less than six months from now: February 4. Hope NBC learned something from their confusing coverage of Tokyo and come up with a more consolidated and streamlined way to allow viewers to see the events we want to watch in Beijing.
+1, but I think this is optimistic. NBC has broadcast every Olympic Games since 1988 (summer) and 2002 (winter). They have more experience than everyone else.

I suspect part of the problem is NBC builds their Olympic coverage with more focus on advertisers than viewers.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap470 View Post
Watched the last hour of the closing ceremony this morning. Not very well attended by the athletes, but I expected that. The hand-off to Paris for the 2024 summer games was well done.

As I always do, I had some "water in my eyes" as the flame was extinguished. I really do enjoy Olympic competition. Nicely done Tokyo!
I haven’t seen the closing ceremonies yet, but I agree, I really enjoy Olympic competition as well. I watch sports that I would never watch, but just marvel at the level of talent.

Quote:
Wow, that is unbelievable. I had to stop and think about this when I read it. Lol
The different streaming services make it a lot easier to watch overviews and find certain events.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post

Wow, that is unbelievable. I had to stop and think about this when I read it. Lol
The different streaming services make it a lot easier to watch overviews and find certain events.

Can you believe we had only one channel to watch the Olympics in the old days and we actually had to sit there and watch right then (no playbacks!)?

I watched the men's volleyball final when I was in 7th grade or 8th grade - The game went to the 5th set and it was 4 AM by the time it was over! I still remember the excitement of my team winning the gold medal.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #136

Quote:
...Hope NBC learned something from their confusing coverage of Tokyo and come up with a more consolidated and streamlined way to allow viewers to see the events we want to watch in Beijing.
What part of this year's coverage did you find more confusing than prior years? I watched a lot of NBC and a little of USA and thought the network coverage was exactly the same as every other year -- dipping in and out of a lot of events, focusing for a little longer on those that are of interest to Americans, and telling the occasional human interest story from everything else. The pandemic meant there was less of the local travelogue stuff and less of the pre-filmed athletes' life stories, but otherwise it seemed very much as usual to me.

The one thing I thought was vastly superior this year was the ability to stream every event in its entirety. DH likes track cycling, and in past years it was always "call me if you see it" or "record everything that might include it" and then you just get the finals, or worse, the last two laps of a long race. This year it was super easy to find and watch an entire session in the order that it occurred via streaming. He was delighted to see the entire men's Omnium and Madison races, which maybe got 2 minutes of primetime coverage otherwise.

I think the regular network coverage for Beijing next year will be better just because the Winter Olympics have fewer events, athletes and venues. They are normally somewhat less scattershot than the Summer Olympics.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 10:56 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Can you believe we had one channel to watch the Olympics in the old days and we actually had to sit there and watch right then (no playbacks!)?
My thoughts as well. We used to watch on one channel at night only. This time we could watch almost 24/7 on NBC, NBCSN, CNBC, USA, Olympic Chan, Golf Chan & Peacock - plus almost 2000 YouTube highlight videos (before airing on networks in many cases). I don't get the complaints about this years coverage, though I respect the fact that many viewers did complain. Not having fans there was sad from an economic standpoint for Japan, but I never watched the Olympics to see fans and when present they certainly aren't the main event or a reason to watch IMHO? The only missing fans IMO were the parents and close friends of many athletes who weren't allowed to attend - that was sad.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #138

Apparently, the Tokyo Olympics this year had the lowest TV viewership ever for the summer Games. Quote from an article at Yahoo! Sports:

Quote:
Have you been watching the Olympics? If so, you’re part of a much smaller community than in Games past. Ratings for the Tokyo Games are down significantly from Rio 2016, London 2012 and prior Games — like, losing-half-the-audience significant.

NBC’s overall TV audience for the Tokyo Games is down an average of about 45 percent from the comparable Rio Games in 2016. Prime-time viewership — which consists of both live and delayed events — is down by 51 percent.

Individual days are even worse, with last Saturday’s audience of 14.9 million ranking as the lowest ever recorded for a Summer Olympics, breaking the record of … the previous Wednesday.
I didn't watch a single moment of TV coverage this year, which is the first time that's been the case for me since I was old enough to watch TV. Apparently, millions of others also chose to tune out completely this year. I wonder why...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:33 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I didn't watch a single moment of TV coverage this year, which is the first time that's been the case for me since I was old enough to watch TV. Apparently, millions of others also chose to tune out completely this year. I wonder why...
Honestly not looking for an argument (frankly I watched more of the Olympics on YT than broadcast networks) - but why didn't you watch this time around?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 11:36 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
What part of this year's coverage did you find more confusing than prior years? I watched a lot of NBC and a little of USA and thought the network coverage was exactly the same as every other year -- dipping in and out of a lot of events, focusing for a little longer on those that are of interest to Americans, and telling the occasional human interest story from everything else. The pandemic meant there was less of the local travelogue stuff and less of the pre-filmed athletes' life stories, but otherwise it seemed very much as usual to me.
I think coverage was at least as good as it was in the past too, although I'm not sure I remember past coverage well enough to compare exactly... I watched more on USA than NBC but both were pretty good IMO.

About the only complaint I have on the coverage was some of the announcers that were so called "experts". Maybe some were, but when they start saying, oh they should have done this or should done that or now's the time to make your break... Some went overboard, IMO.

All in all, pretty dang good stuff.