Summer Olympics 2020/1

Car-Guy

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Please no politics, etc...:angel:

Well the 2020 (2021) Summer Olympics officially opened today in Japan.

Are you interested? (maybe not for this old crowd :))

If yes, what are your favorite event(s)?

Personally I like most of the track and field events (e.g. especially running) as well as all weight classes in weight lifting and boxing plus the freestyle swimming events...

Impressive to me is the commitment it takes for the guys and gals to compete at that level. Maybe I'm interested because I was on the track team for one year in High School (high hurdles) and later competed in AAU weight lifting while in my early/mid 20's. Ah, those were the days! But I wasn't even close to the level of these guys/gals which makes it all the more impressive to me.

Last edited:
Yes, I am watching! I love seeing all the different sports that I only watch every four (or five) years. I'm mostly looking forward to gymnastics and diving and just getting reaquainted with all the other sports.

I'm liking the timezone differences too. The competitions mostly occur between 5 PM and 7 AM our time, so it's easy to record it and fast forward to the good stuff at night or in the morning before seeing a lot of spoilers online.

Yes, always a big fan. So many events even those I only see every four years are great. I always liked the decathlon. You need to have a little bit of everything for that! And swimming is another favorite. Oh, and the marathon, how could I forget!

We saw the opening ceremony, a bit weird with practically no spectators. That flame thing was impressive.

Just watched some women's softball, at first I was thinking that softball is a sucky stupid fluffy sport, but actually it's fantastic to watch on tv.

The field is small, the ball is big and yellow, all of which makes it excellent for showing on TV as you can see everything easily.

Because of the equipment, a home run hit, is not like baseball where the ball goes outside, instead a home run hit means you might not make it to home, as the distance to throw the ball is less.

I like boxing, women's gymnastics, swimming/diving and decathlon.

We saw the opening ceremony, a bit weird with practically no spectators. That flame thing was impressive.

I too watched the opening ceremony this morning starting at 5:30AM CST. The drone show was incredible. I was very saddened to see the physical condition of Japanese baseball great, Sadaharu Oh during the torch lighting ceremony. He was the Babe Ruth of Japanese baseball hitting 868 HRs in his career. As an avid baseball fan in my youth, I followed his career.

DW and I really enjoy the Olympics and watch most events. She is a big swimming fan. I will really miss not seeing Usain Bolt compete anymore.

I do confess that I prefer the winter Olympics over the summer.

Last week Youtube TV popped up all of the Olympic events and let me choose which ones to record. I selected a lot more than I'll watch (probably). As a runner I really enjoy the track events and the marathons. One of my favorite events has been beach volleyball.

The ones I'm unlikely to watch are those sports where judges do the scoring, namely gymnastics and diving, and figure skating in the winter olympics. I'm very impressed by all of those athletes' athletic abilities, but I hate when biased judges can sway the results, and where the commentary is all about losing tenths of points due to errors I can't even see.

Volleyball (indoors and beach both), gymnastics, swimming...

haven't been interested in the summer olympics for, well, forever. i do enjoy the ski events in the winter olympics but likely will avoid them as well...too many other interests.

Watched the opening ceremonies.

Will try to catch some track cycling and that’s about it. Did a bit of that back in college at the local velodrome. Was a kick and love to see the premier athletes perform.

I like watching swimming and track and field and boxing to some extent.

Swimming for sure. Also track & field. Looking forward to future inclusion of lacrosse (2028?).

I've always been fascinated with the Olympics, and I've known two medalists.

Favorites are the track & field events, gymnastics, and diving (which is more or less gymnastics).

There have been occasional Olympic performances that seriously strain the bounds of credibility of what humans are capable of. Since there is always a chance of seeing something like that again, they are well worth watching.

Track and Field, basketball, swimming, gymnastics.

I have gotten interested particularly in 19 year old middle distance runner Athing Mu. So young and so fast. Also hurdler Sydney McLaughlin. Explosive.

Hoping Team USA hoops can pull it together. 3x3 should be interesting.

One of my favorite events has been beach volleyball.

+1 forgot about that one.:facepalm:

I've always been fascinated with the Olympics, and I've known two medalists.
I never knew any Olympic medalist but I did know a couple of guys (Weightlifters) that were invited to participate in the Pan American games many years ago. Gosh those guys were getting near the top of their games... After knowing these guys and their abilities, it's even more amazing to me see someone make it to the Olympics... Certainly ability has a lot to do with making it to the top, but luck comes into play too... I've known some pretty good athletes that had to quit due to chronic sports related injuries... The really good ones are lucky they make it to the top without sustaining a career limiting injury... Ah, the wonders of modern medicine.

I kind of like watching the non-long-distance track & field, mostly quick events like high jump, long jump, javelin, shotput, hammer throw, etc., and weightlifting, but the only one I set the DVR up to record is equestrian. (Which should come as no surprise to anyone who has read all of my posts!) I believe we have one distant cousin who might be good enough to compete in it, but I think they're waiting until 2024 to try out.

I like watching beach volleyball too. With indoor vball, sometimes I cannot even see where the ball. At least, with beach v, I can see where the ball is the whole time.

Please no politics, etc...:angel:

Well the 2020 (2021) Summer Olympics officially opened today in Japan.

Are you interested? (maybe not for this old crowd :))

If yes, what are your favorite event(s)?

Personally I like most of the track and field events (e.g. especially running) as well as all weight classes in weight lifting and boxing plus the freestyle swimming events...

Impressive to me is the commitment it takes for the guys and gals to compete at that level. Maybe I'm interested because I was on the track team for one year in High School (high hurdles) and later competed in AAU weight lifting while in my early/mid 20's. Ah, those were the days! But I wasn't even close to the level of these guys/gals which makes it all the more impressive to me.

so far no interest ... Not sure if we can even get it since we cut the cord till College Football Season starts

I will watch some of the track events, some women’s indoor volleyball because two of the players are from my university, some whitewater canoeing if I can find the right channel for it and probably some women’ gymnastics. I also much prefer the Winter Olympics.

I admit that I haven't been super motivated to find out how/where.
Which streaming service will give me LIVE coverage?
Or is there coverage that NBC will absolutely not show live?

I admit that I haven't been super motivated to find out how/where.
Which streaming service will give me LIVE coverage?
Or is there coverage that NBC will absolutely not show live?

I'm in Canada, but NBC I think is the Olympic sponsor channel in the US. I believe you can watch a lot of things live on their website. Same here in Canada. I have no cable, but I've been watching the Olympics (some live) on CBC.ca.

Back
Top Bottom