Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Sunset notive on Quicken 2003
Old 01-18-2006, 04:52 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Sunset notive on Quicken 2003

Just got a notice from Intuit on their sunset notice for Quicken 2003. They will no longer enable quotes and such for the program so things like net worth, links to schwab, etc, and performance will not be updated properly. They of course want me to 'upgrade' to 2006 version for ~$50. Forget it. Nothing burns me up more . I'll spend the next couple of months researching other options (not MS Money). I'm pretty sure there is a freeby at the GNU site. Any other ideas! I do not track checking or savings in this program, but track investments, house and HE loan.

job
obryanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Sunset notive on Quicken 2003
Old 01-18-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

can't you just look up the stock price on Yahoo and enter them into the program?
Old 01-18-2006, 05:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have used Yahoo Finance for tracking my portfolios. I'm not an active trader, so I don't have a whole lot of transactions to enter. Mostly 10-15 regular periodic mutual fund transactions per month that I manually enter.

Yahoo finance can't track house value or home equity loan amounts though.
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I've seen lots of deals for getting Quicken free (after rebate) when you buy TurboTax. If you do your own income taxes, that might be a way around the $50 upgrade cost.

Old 01-18-2006, 06:55 AM   #5

Quote:
I have used Yahoo Finance for tracking my portfolios. I'm not an active trader, so I don't have a whole lot of transactions to enter. Mostly 10-15 regular periodic mutual fund transactions per month that I manually enter.
yahoo finance also has a "download to spreadsheet" feature. I just cut the stock prices and paste it in the cells in my tracking spreadsheet. Not much work to do every few months.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:24 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I've seen lots of deals for getting Quicken free (after rebate) when you buy TurboTax. If you do your own income taxes, that might be a way around the $50 upgrade cost.
Aye, if you can get around being forced to do an upgrade to a new version that probably doesnt do anything new or better, check fatwallet.com for the office supply store tax deals. There is almost always a half dozen deals where you buy turbotax, ttax state, quicken, and sometimes other free or nearly free after rebate software. This gives you a gross purchase cost usually in the $80-100 range. Most of the office supply stores have a $10 off $50, $20 off 80 or $25 off 100 coupon code you can use on the order. You file your rebates and get most of the money back; coupled with the coupon code, the software is free. Sometimes you make five or ten bucks on the deal. All the office supply stores now do "easy rebates" online, you fill in your name/address/etc and click on the products you want to apply for rebates. I usually get mine in weeks or a month or so, rather than the old 6-200 weeks the regular rebates take.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #7

I found a horrendous bug in Quicken 2005 last week. Briefly, only the first line of a split transaction in an investment account was taken into consideration in a report. I carefully confirmed the bug.

Of course, there's not point in even trying to report it or call tech support.

I'll probably upgrade to 2006 in the hope that some of these bugs are fixed.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:39 AM   #8

A while back I was able to get an Excel spreadsheet to get quotes on demand. I think I inserted a web page and used the proper table cell for the quote. Seems like I had it working for Yahoo and another quote provider. I don't track my egg that closely so I haven't used that in a while.

It's definitely possible to do this yourself for free, but it will take some research and tinkering. The upside is freedom from version creep.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've just been using the vanguard 'consolidated view'. Doesnt do any of the tracking and whatnot that quicken does, but i've been impressed with its flexibility with regards to watching all of our assets. Its linked in my and my wifes vanguard accts, our banks, credit unions, ing and emigrant direct, and her 403b. So far I havent tried to link anything that it wouldnt pull up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:47 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin

Yahoo finance can't track house value or home equity loan amounts though.
I use Yahoo finance as well. For real estate, I set up yahoo accounts for the various real estate investments and manually enter a value. You can do the same for any asset, so long as you are willing to enter the value manually. Yahoo then will take all your accounts and add up your net worth. If you have debt, you can do an account or accounts for debt with a negative number so it is subtracted from the total net worth (eg, home equity loans). Again, you have to update manually. I like Yahoo because it is simple.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:10 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I use Yahoo finance as well. For real estate, I set up yahoo accounts for the various real estate investments and manually enter a value. You can do the same for any asset, so long as you are willing to enter the value manually. Yahoo then will take all your accounts and add up your net worth. If you have debt, you can do an account or accounts for debt with a negative number so it is subtracted from the total net worth (eg, home equity loans). Again, you have to update manually. I like Yahoo because it is simple.
Martha,

I used to be able to get a total of all accounts from Yahoo finance. I thought they had discontinued this service. How do you get your net worth to show up?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Costco's got a deal running this month for $22 after a $10 off instant instore rebate, and is also selling quicken deluxe for $49.99 with a $20 off instant instore rebate, and theres a $30 off coupon in the box you can send to intuit if you buy turbotax and quicken at the same time. State return is included in this turbo tax version.

So $22 plus tax for both after rebates. Not as good as free, but not too shabby.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Martha,

I used to be able to get a total of all accounts from Yahoo finance. I thought they had discontinued this service. How do you get your net worth to show up?
I know what you mean--they discontinued the detailed money manager. Two things you can do. One is to go to My Yahoo after you set up all your Yahoo finance accounts. They will be listed on your personal My Yahoo page. You can manually add up the totals of the accounts.

Or, do what I did and make a master account. In the master account I have everything from all the other accounts. All the stock, real estate, bank accounts, bonds, debt, etc. It adds the totals up and you get a net worth balance. Stock and mutual funds will be always up to date.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Or, do what I did and make a master account. In the master account I have everything from all the other accounts. All the stock, real estate, bank accounts, bonds, debt, etc. It adds the totals up and you get a net worth balance. Stock and mutual funds will be always up to date.
So I would have to manually update my mutual fund transactions in two places - the master account and each separate account I have? Sounds like too much work! I think I'll stick with my old solution of adding up the 5 portfolio balances from Yahoo Finance to get my "total" for stock investments.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Well I dropped the separate accounts and just keep one master. For assets that are not stock or funds, you have to put a $$ in front.

I just set up a dummy account to show how it works here:

http://finance.yahoo.com/p?v&k=pf_2

If it makes you sign on with a user name and password, the username is retirementforum and the password is fireme.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:51 PM   #16

Martha,

Gotcha. I see what you are doing now after seeing the dummy yahoo portfolio. For my purposes, I keep track of a couple different separate portfolios (taxable, all IRA's, my 401k, DW 401k, daughter's college account). Guess I can't get yahoo to automatically add up the balances from each of the 5 portfolios. Just having one "master" account wouldn't give me the breakdown into different account types with enough specificity. I do use a separate spreadsheet to track net worth (that is where the house, the debts, other savings accounts and non-stock assets go).
Old 01-20-2006, 08:23 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
I found a horrendous bug in Quicken 2005 last week.
Al, I'm using 2005 Quicken Premiere release R5. What's your buggy version?

Can you post or PM the steps I should take to confirm the bug?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote