Join Early Retirement Today

Super Committee Opts to Whack Military People
Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Super Committee Opts to Whack Military People

This was part of a message that I received from MOAA recently. I don't know if all of this is accurate or not (it may slanted), but if you are of fan of the folks that have been giving up there lives and body parts as a part of their federal government job, this may be a good time to take notice.

Quote:
Pundits and spin doctors are racing to parse the potential impact of the so-called congressional "Super Committee's" abject failure to meet its task of coming up with a package of recommendations to reduce the deficit by $1.2 trillion over the next 10 years.
The blame game is in full swing as each party tries to deflect blame on the other for this miserable example of how political partisanship stymies reasonable legislative action.
But there's no spinning away from the reality that the Super Committee’s absolute refusal to put America's needs ahead of partisan dogma will impose a double punch to the Defense budget.
And that's very bad news for members of the military community.
It means a sequester will kick in imposing $1.2 trillion in across-the-board cuts, starting in January 2013 – with half of that total coming from the defense budget.
Added to the $450 billion in cuts already imposed on the Pentagon, that's a trillion-dollar cut that will devastate weapons and people programs alike.
It will mean massive and stupid manpower cuts that Defense Secretary Panetta has acknowledged will hollow the force and undermine national security.
And while VA healthcare and other programs are protected from sequestration, military health care programs are not. Draw your own implications for what that likely means for military beneficiaries of all ages.
In effect, by declining other options, Super Committee members are saying they’d rather hit the military community that already has borne 100% of the Nation's wartime sacrifice with a new round of unfair and disproportional sacrifices through force cuts, more family separations, pay and benefit cuts and more.
It's an appalling and disgusting abdication of their collective responsibilities for rational governance.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Everyone affected by that initial 1.2 trillion dollar cut will be tearing their hair over the coming months. From what I understand, much deeper cuts and or tax increases are necessary on top of this. Hang on, it is gonna be a long, strange trip.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

If there is no money to pay the bills, then what is supposed to happen?
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Surprise, surprise, the politicians failed again. You are now entitled to more government run programs like Obamacare, 2 years worth of unemployment benefit entitlements, and free prescription drugs. The trade-off is national defense. Enjoy!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
Well that's an easy one, just print some more!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Surprise, surprise, the politicians failed again. You are now entitled to more government run programs like Obamacare, 2 years worth of unemployment benefit entitlements, and free prescription drugs. The trade-off is national defense. Enjoy!
I fail to see a problem in any of this.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

There's a lot they can still do, it's not irreversibly automatic, hopefully they will come to their senses. Don't lose heart yet...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:44 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Porky thought he was going to take Thanksgiving Day off, then this thread shows up...
Old 11-24-2011, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
This was part of a message that I received from MOAA recently. I don't know if all of this is accurate or not (it may slanted), but if you are of fan of the folks that have been giving up there lives and body parts as a part of their federal government job, this may be a good time to take notice.
It's about time we started cutting US military expenditures. The US spends more money than the next 17 countries spend on their military COMBINED. It's about time we stopped defending the rest of the world at our own expense.
DallasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
It's about time we stopped defending the rest of the world at our own expense.
That's not a bad plan as long as there are no more earthquakes in Haiti, or mass slaughter in Bosnia and Africa.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Drop in the standard of living . .
Old 11-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Drop in the standard of living . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerEd View Post
If Americans refuse to pay their debts, (to China & other countries), then the US Credit Rating and US Dollar will be devalued and the overall cost of living will go up for Americans. Thus the standard of living will go down for most Americans. Critics of the USA have been saying for decades that Americans have been living "Too High on the Hog" by benefitting from their overvalued Dollar. The USA still has the biggest econonomy in ther world, and the US Dollar is still the World Reserve Currancy, but this can change very quickly. The big mistake was allowing all their industry to be exported to Third World countries. It could all be fixed and brought in order, but only if the American People, (and their government), have the will to do it.
Robert Colbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

The 600B in defense cuts are over 10 years. Somehow, that was left out of the quoted article.

I'm sure that was just an oversight......................
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger View Post
I'm sure that was just an oversight......................

All I want is a military that is designed to meet probable threats, with some fudge factor left in for good measure. Some want to cut deep; some not at all. The answer, as usual, lies between the two extremes.

There's already talk of passing something to "fix" this...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

All I want is a military that is designed to meet probable threats, with some fudge factor left in for good measure. Some want to cut deep; some not at all. The answer, as usual, lies between the two extremes.

There's already talk of passing something to "fix" this...
According to the numbers on Wikipedia if we cut $60B/year from the military budget we will still be spending $638B/year. This is more than the combined spending of the next 14 countries combined.
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Porky thought he was going to take Thanksgiving Day off, then this thread shows up...
Even Porky deserves a day off to watch Longhorn and Aggie game and stuff himself with turkey and dressing. Happy Thanksgiving Go Aggies.
The time to take counsel of your fears is before you make an important battle decision. That’s the time to listen to every fear you can imagine! When you have collected all the facts and fears and made your decision, turn off all your fears and go ahead! – General George S. Patton
Sandhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhog View Post
Even Porky deserves a day off to watch Longhorn and Aggie game and stuff himself with turkey and dressing.
These two teams have played each other each Thanksgiving since 1894, and this will be the last time - at least for the foreseeable future. Their fight songs and traditions are centered around this game. Thanksgiving will not be the same until they come to their senses and find a way to resume the rivalry. Sad day.

Quote:
Happy Thanksgiving Go Aggies Horns.
FIFY
Old 11-24-2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Even Porky deserves a day off to watch Longhorn and Aggie game and stuff himself with turkey and dressing. Happy Thanksgiving Go Aggies.
For Easter, on the other hand, Porky is on the dinner table.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
These two teams have played each other each Thanksgiving since 1894, and this will be the last time - at least for the foreseeable future. Their fight songs and traditions are centered around this game. Thanksgiving will not be the same until they come to their senses and find a way to resume the rivalry. Sad day.

FIFY
OK, here's a plan...The AggieArkansas game seems to be becoming something of a tradition. So in the future, those teams will meet in a conference game. Why not replace that noncomnference game with an Aggie/Longhorn game in Texas stadium??

I think I just heard Jerry Jones yell CHA-CHING!
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
OK, here's a plan...The AggieArkansas game seems to be becoming something of a tradition. So in the future, those teams will meet in a conference game. Why not replace that noncomnference game with an Aggie/Longhorn game in Texas stadium??
Right now a future UT/A&M game couldn't occur until 2018, as neither have a shared vacancy in their non-conference schedule until then. There would have to be buyouts of existing commitments to make it happen before then.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:42 PM   #20

Yep, unlikely anything will happen soon, but any plan to keep them playing sounds good to me, especially if the game can be played during the Turkey Day weekend. And if big bucks are involved, Jerry is probably all over it already.