Join Early Retirement Today

Supreme Court Upholds Jailhouse Stripsearch for Minor Offenses
Old 04-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Supreme Court Upholds Jailhouse Stripsearch for Minor Offenses

This is pretty scary to me. From the article...

"In this case, Albert Florence's nightmare began when the sport utility vehicle driven by his pregnant wife was pulled over for speeding. He was a passenger; his 4-year-old son was in the backseat.

Justice Anthony Kennedy said the circumstances of the arrest were of little importance. Instead, Kennedy said, Florence's entry into the general jail population gave guards the authorization to force him to strip naked and expose his mouth, nose, ears and genitals to a visual search in case he was hiding anything."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/judicial/story/2012-04-02/supreme-court-strip-search/53945028/1
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
This is pretty scary to me. From the article...

"In this case, Albert Florence's nightmare began when the sport utility vehicle driven by his pregnant wife was pulled over for speeding. He was a passenger; his 4-year-old son was in the backseat.

Justice Anthony Kennedy said the circumstances of the arrest were of little importance. Instead, Kennedy said, Florence's entry into the general jail population gave guards the authorization to force him to strip naked and expose his mouth, nose, ears and genitals to a visual search in case he was hiding anything."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...rch/53945028/1
Beloved camrades, welcome to the gulag!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You guys sound nervous - got something to hide?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Another 5-4 Supreme Court vote along the usual lines.

Oh, and a second decision today...

The court ruled unanimously that police investigators are immune from civil damage suits for giving false testimony to a grand jury. The justices said that witnesses who testify falsely can be prosecuted for perjury, and that the threat of such a criminal prosecution is an adequate safeguard. But critics pointed out that prosecutors rarely are willing to bring perjury charges against their own police investigators.

The authoritarian consolidation continues...
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You guys sound nervous - got something to hide?
Not really. Just don't want to be one moment forgetting to buckle up, the next moment asked to cough in public.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Blood. Pressure. Going. Through. The. Roof. Where's. my. whiskey. bottle?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

It sounds right to me. The constitution doesn't govern state jail house policies. States have the right to manage their jails how they see fit. If you have a problem with it, your issue ought to be with your state/county jail system to alter their search policies, not with the Supreme Court.
glippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Where's. my. whiskey. bottle?
If you get arrested the guys at the jail will help you find it...
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

"Blood. Pressure. Going. Through. The. Roof. Where's. my. whiskey. bottle?"

Why get stalled with the question? I'm considering a camelback for just that purpose <G>
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
It sounds right to me. The constitution doesn't govern state jail house policies. States have the right to manage their jails how they see fit. If you have a problem with it, your issue ought to be with your state/county jail system to alter their search policies, not with the Supreme Court.
Agreed. Plus, the system might be in place to protect people like this. Imagine the next guy they bring in sneaks in a weapon, and uses it against the guy caught for speeding (and held because they thought he had other open violations). Then the news would be "innocent man killed by fellow prisoner while held in County jail, charges were false, leaves widow and child behind".

Lose-lose situation.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agreed. Plus, the system might be in place to protect people like this. Imagine the next guy they bring in sneaks in a weapon, and uses it against the guy caught for speeding (and held because they thought he had other open violations). Then the news would be "innocent man killed by fellow prisoner while held in County jail, charges were false, leaves widow and child behind".

Lose-lose situation.

-ERD50
Agreed that is one possible outcome. But to be devil's advocate imagine someone's son or daughter coming back home from college. In college, many kids do minor offenses (too much drinking here, not wearing seatbelts). On the way home, they get stopped, and arrested. The call to parents, goes like "For not wearing seat belts, I got strip searched."

I dunno, in some ways the ruling can seem like airline TSA procedures on steriods.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
Agreed that is one possible outcome. But to be devil's advocate imagine someone's son or daughter coming back home from college. In college, many kids do minor offenses (too much drinking here, not wearing seatbelts). On the way home, they get stopped, and arrested. The call to parents, goes like "For not wearing seat belts, I got strip searched."

I dunno, in some ways the ruling can seem like airline TSA procedures on steriods.
Yes, I'm just throwing out a possible scenario. I've never worked LE, and I've never been in jail, so I don't know how these things are handled (I guess I left myself open with that line?).

I would hope that some discretion could be used, and people like this put into 'minimal risk' areas, but maybe that isn't always possible. It does seem extreme for these cases, but I guess the SC ruled on the point that this is a state/local issue and that since it takes place as part of incarceration, it doesn't violate Fed statutes.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Perhaps the jails/states ought to implement their own policies that strip searches are only to be permitted where there is a reasonable belief that it is necessary.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I'm just throwing out a possible scenario. I've never worked LE, and I've never been in jail, so I don't know how these things are handled (I guess I left myself open with that line?).

I would hope that some discretion could be used, and people like this put into 'minimal risk' areas, but maybe that isn't always possible. It does seem extreme for these cases, but I guess the SC ruled on the point that this is a state/local issue and that since it takes place as part of incarceration, it doesn't violate Fed statutes.

-ERD50

From the news coverage I was watching today, some have separate areas and some do not. So I guess it's just a luck (or unluck) of the draw.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glippy View Post
Perhaps the jails/states ought to implement their own policies that strip searches are only to be permitted where there is a reasonable belief that it is necessary.
+1. At least that way, the term "reasonable belief" offers some check and balance so the situation isn't all or none.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Lose-lose situation.

-ERD50
Good point. Actually, in order to make sure nothing like this happens we should put everyone in diapers (transparent so nobody can sneak in a shiv), implant GPS trackers and microphones, and require loyalty oaths before receiving the daily dose of pink slime.

It's not about safety, it's about freedom. Who cares what the media says about anything? The guy wasn't a repeat offender murderer, they incorrectly thought he had an outstanding speeding ticket warrant. Aaarrrggghhh! Whiskey!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

-ERD50
I have never been to jail, but my favorite weekend bedtime show is Lockout, which is basically a day in the life at various prisons and jails. They show the strip searches (blurred out the personal areas) and it looks like an assembly line at a factory. The people getting searched dont even bat an eye over it as most of them I assume know the procedure quite well.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The people getting searched don't even bat an eye over it as most of them I assume know the procedure quite well.
I won't pretend that a strip search couldn't be a traumatic thing for some people. As for me, I'd feel worse for the poor guy who has to poke around down there than I would about my own indignity.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This stood out for me:
Quote:
Florence ... had been stopped several times before, and he carried a letter to the effect that the fine ... had been paid.
How much less effort for the cops themselves would it have been to call in and check the veracity of that letter?
BigNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
This stood out for me:

"Florence ... had been stopped several times before, and he carried a letter to the effect that the fine ... had been paid."

How much less effort for the cops themselves would it have been to call in and check the veracity of that letter?
I agree, and followed by this also made me angry:

"The first strip search of Florence took place in the Burlington County Jail in southern New Jersey. Six days later, Florence had not received a hearing and remained in custody. Transferred to another county jail in Newark, he was strip-searched again.

The next day, a judge dismissed all charges. Florence's lawsuit soon followed.

He still may pursue other claims, including that he never should have been arrested."

It took SIX DAYS for him to get a hearing in which all the charges got dismissed? It scares me that this can happen to anyone. If the letter was good enough to be let go previously after being stopped, whywasn't it good enough this time?

Florence wasn't alleging any racial discrimination, but I wonder how he would have been treated had he been white.

I hope he sues and wins.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote