Surf's Up! - Earthquake - Hawaii - 6.3

Danny

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nords - possibility of some healthy wave action...have you been out already?
..Hope all is well at your house...

HONOLULU — An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.3 struck Hawaii early Sunday morning, waking up residents and knocking out power.

The U.S. Geological Survey also reported several aftershocks, including one measuring a magnitude of 5.8. No damage reports were immediately available.

The quake occurred at 7:07 a.m. local time, 10 miles north-northwest of Kailua Kona, a town on the west coast of the Big Island, said Don Blakeman, a geophysicist at the National Earthquake Information Center, part of the U.S. Geological Survey.

Blakeman said researchers were still trying to ascertain how many aftershocks struck and how large.

Blakeman said there was no risk of a Pacific-wide tsunami, but a possibility of significant wave activity in Hawaii.

The quake occurred about 155 miles to the southeast of Honolulu, the state capital, in Oahu.

We were talking to daughter, who lives on the North Shore, when the quake happened. She had some plates and pans fall down, but nothing serious. It seemed to last between 5 + 10 seconds. Just talked to her about 5 mins ago, and still no power. She did indicate that the surfers were heading out. Betcha NORDS is with 'em.

Martha said:
He lives in Oahu (I think). Ninety-five percent of residents there are without power.

Not Nords, with all those PV panels...

brewer12345 said:
Not Nords, with all those PV panels...

Yep. A guy with his own 'solar system' should be immune from grid problems...not that any of us would give him a hard time if his new-clear engineering skills didn't hold up to a little shakin'. ;)

sorry to bring this up....I don't like mentioning this...but there is a slumbering volcano on the Big Island...is earthquake activity around volcanos associated with future volcanic activity...I do hope it is a separate isolated one time event

Outtahere said:
I'll wager a bet he's already on his board.

He was probably on his way to the beach when he discovered the only road that was blocked is the one to the beach. :D

We're fine-- cowabunga indeed.

By the time the vibration got to us it was still pretty strong-- the house was oscillating a half-step east-to-west, every cabinet was rattling, the doors were bouncing around in their frames, and it sounded like a helicopter was landing on the roof. It was all lateral, nothing vertical. It lasted for about 30 seconds (or an hour, I'm not sure which) and was followed a few minutes later by a weaker aftershock. Spouse had just driven off to her Reserve drill weekend but came home when the traffic lights went out and the car accidents began piling up. She missed the whole thing! The kid & I got into our closet under the steps on the first temblor (that's our hurricane shelter, too) and, despite the torrential rain we've been having, we decided to watch the second quake from outside. Our bunny didn't come out of his familyroom cardboard-box cave for a couple hours. For those of you who've been through an earthquake (or lived in California), I think ours was between 5.0-6.0 with the aftershock barely at 5.0.

HECO's generators tripped off from the vibrations (as they're designed to do) and I'm pretty sure that the crews evacuated. A quake off the north coast of the Big Island is the state's doomsday scenario for a tsunami that'd wipe out Maui & Oahu 15 minutes later, and all our electric plants are right next to the water. Luckily a tsunami didn't develop so everyone returned to their homes & businesses. It took another nine hours for HECO to finish their equipment & startup checks to get power back up to us, and it'll take them all night to power up the rest of the island. I'm sure glad spouse wasn't at the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center or PACOM HQ-- or she'd still be there.

No surfing today. Everyone was told to stay off the roads-- too much rain runoff, no traffic signals, and the odd rockfall. I'm surprised the temblor didn't drop Roosevelt Bridge (est. 1933) into Kipapa Gulch. We spent the rest of the day filling bathtubs & water jugs from the faucets (in case the reservoirs ran out) and going through the disaster checklist. The fridge & freezer did great and we didn't lose any food. The local radio station came up just fine and we were kept pretty well informed because Hawaii expats on the Mainland were calling the radio station to tell us what was on CNN. Power came back on in time to save me from having to fire up the barbeque for dinner. The house looks OK and tomorrow we'll check out the photovoltaic wiring & solar water heating piping. There wasn't enough light or heat today to trigger the solar systems.

You guys probably know more than we do at this point. We heard that Kailua-Kona had minor building damage, some sinkholes where land is over lava tubes, and plenty of rain-inspired vehicle accidents. Hopefully the rain will ease up tomorrow and we can walk the rest of the property for other surprises.

Parents in law don't have power yet but should have it tonight. As far as we can tell their house came through just fine too.

I'm glad we didn't go surfing-- we spent the rest of the day twitching whenever a door slammed. I've been through this before but you kinda expect it to happen in California.

As for the photovoltaics-- we have a grid-tied system that depends on the grid to provide the reference voltage for the inverter. No grid, no inverter. But we got a lot of Monopoly-playing & room-cleaning done today to keep our kid occupied!

Those of you who've gone to cordless phones or even cell phones-- it's a good idea to have a 1980s vintage Ma Bell push-button phone that plugs into the wall line without needing house power. A really good idea.

I'll catch up tomorrow. We're looking forward to a boring night...

Keep loose, Nords. Nobody to whom I have sent e-mail there has responded yet; I'm guessing they simply didn't get power back as soon as you did.

Glad to hear that you came through it relatively unscathed and your family wasn't separated for any length of time.

Born and raised in California, yes we kind of expect earthquakes.....I've felt my share...
Good news about no tsunami, that was my first concern...

Nords,

Glad to hear that everything is good with you and your family. I thought of you immediately when I heard of the quake. It is funny how one can care about someone that you have never met! I also thought of my friend's nephew who is stationed at the marine base in O'ahu. He just returned from Iraq. He was injured slightly while in Iraq and then to go to HI and have an earthquake. He is supposed to come home to WV around 10/27/06, so I hope that he is still able to come. (I have never met him yet either. If we get to go to HI in 01/07, he is the reason for the trip. I will be traveling with his father and aunt.)

Dreamer

Yikes - I was thinking about you, Nords, and am glad to hear you are unscathed more or less.

At least with the odd hurricane you have a few days warning. With a quake it's all a great big surprise. Must be scarey.

Glad everyone is okay over there never realized there where earthquakes in Hawaii just never thought about it becasue of the Volocano....hope any after shocks are just very minor. Nords you were the first person I thought glad everything is okay with you and your family....and all you other surfers from there...

Kathyet

For those of you who've been through an earthquake (or lived in California),

Up till now I pretty much viewed these as one and the same, Nords! Please add my best wishes to those of the group -- I thought about you right away and am glad to know everyone is safe and sound.

I remember the big one here in Northern California -- I was in the BASEMENT at Cal and we still rocked pretty good -- it's scary right up front and leaves you nervous as a cat for a while afterward. Go easy on yourselves for a while -- your nerves will thank you.

Caroline

I was in Seattle when it was hit with a magnitude 6.8 in 2001. I was on the 40th floor at the time. It rocked!

Glad you're o.k. Nords. Any other Hawaii-based members here?

Yup, had my share of the shakes during my six-year habitation of California. I vividly remember the early morning Oct. 1987 Whittier-Narrows tremblor in LA. I was doing graduate work at USC then and late nights were de rigeur. I had just started to doze off when surreally the area car alarms started to go off followed by a 20 sec. lateral rocking motion spiced by a couple of strong jolts. The old apt building creaked and heaved noisily but somehow survived. Not a half dozen freeway overpasses though.

Our semi-feral feline earthquake predictor -- the resident cat -- slept through the whole episode .......... so much for the animal kingdom's purported pre-awareness of such calamities.

No earthquakes here in KL, though highrises swayed during the Dec. 2004 magnitude 9.1 great Sumatran earthquake (and ensuing tsunami), ~ 500 miles to our northwest.

I'm on the Windward side of Oahu and we didn't get power until 9:00 pm last night. It was a good sized quake. I was in the Northridge quake in '94 and that was much worse as I was only 2 miles from the epicenter. After the power went out, DH and I thought "Let's go to breakfast". Little did we know that the entire island was shut down. It was a pretty mellow day at home. It's amazing how electricity-dependent we are!! I agree with Nords about the phones. We sure wish we had the old-fashioned kind yesterday!!

"What we learned from the earthquake".

(Or, for you veterans, here's the spouse-reviewed AAR. Gumby, the post-drill critique commences in the wardroom at 1130.)

1. You have a couple days to get ready for a hurricane. You have about five seconds to get ready for an earthquake-- the time it takes you to get to the nearest exit (or doorway).

2. Try not to yell during the earthquake even if it makes you feel better. No one will be able to understand you but it might scare the heck out of them.

3. Your kids may not respond to your words but they sure understand your facial expression and your body language. This works pretty well for the first hour after the quake, too.

4. When the quake stops, try to leave everything where it fell for an hour or so. Try not to clean up until later. If you're on the ground floor then go outside and get ready for the aftershocks. If you're in a high rise then move fast (and get lucky) or find a doorway and hope your building is strong. An aftershock would be a really bad time to be stuck in an elevator or a stairwell.

5. Take a few minutes right now to think of a good answer for the moment when your kid wants to go back into the house to rescue the family pet(s).

6. We don't store bottled water, so we would have been in trouble if the earthquake had destroyed our neighborhood's water piping. We probably need to find a place that can store at least 20 gallons without spoiling or leaking.

7. Most of the island's water pumps don't have backup electricity. Utility reservoirs were nearly emptied in only 10 hours. As soon as the aftershocks finished and we caught our breath, we filled the whirlpool tub (50 gallons) and milk jugs (25 gallons). (We actually had 30 milk jugs but five had rotted & cracked in attic storage.) I was pleased to see that our whirlpool tub's drain stopper does not leak.

8. Flush the toilets with buckets of rain water or anything other than drinking water. You may have to teach your kids how to do this but it might be the best entertainment you get all week.

9. Keep a week's worth of dried/canned "hurricane food" because you may have to live on it when the earthquake turns off the power. Grocery stores do not usually have backup power for the cash registers, ATMs, or barcode scanners. Thousands survived the quake and spent the rest of the day standing in line for bottled water & canned goods while the clerks rang them up on calculators & price books. Retail food outlets will be stripped by sunrise the following day.

10. You may have to live for a couple weeks on whatever cash you have stashed in the house. (Same for the car's gas.) I'm not suggesting that people should stockpile either one, only that they should be able to live without them for a while.

11. Refrigerator & freezer doors should only be opened with parental permission. Make a list of what you're going to take out and don't dawdle.

12. Buy a dozen AA batteries and a dozen D batteries. Hide them from your kids and replace them after every Christmas. Use the former in your kid's MP3 player (connected to the computer speakers) and the latter in the battery-powered lantern.

13. Emergency batteries are not for Playstations or other personal electronics. Kids can play board games, read books, and even (*gasp*) clean their rooms while they're waiting for the power to come back on.

14. There's probably only one radio station in your neighborhood with backup power. Many stations use automated programming after business hours, so unless Civil Defense goes on the air immediately with their Emergency Broadcast System it may take a while for a live announcer to get to the radio station. Even then, unless you've run out of things to do, it's probably only worth listening to on the hour. Save your battery power for a real emergency broadcast.

15. Kids need to learn that candles do not leave the kitchen/diningroom and most especially do not belong in the bedrooms. They're also not necessary in bathrooms unless you've been rearranging the furniture in there.

16. Cell phones may be able to send text messages but the voice net will be overloaded. The kids in your neighborhood who are addicted to their cell phones will be at your house to play as soon as their batteries run out.

17. The people who live outside your disaster area are better informed by CNN than you are by your Emergency Broadcast Service.

18a. If your English teacher assigned the project two weeks ago and it's due tomorrow but you need house electricity to turn on the computer and copy your files, then you can't use the excuse "The earthquake ate my homework."

18b. Buy an UPS.

19. In 37-40 weeks we're gonna find out how many kids were conceived during the power outage. If you're one of those new parents who was actually left alone by your other kids er couldn't think of anything better to do I mean is going to need a doctor and a delivery room, now would be a good time to start making reservations. Good luck with that.

And finally...

To Mr. John Harrison of Nu`uanu Valley: sir, for your own personal safety, after the next natural disaster please don't call up the radio station, tell the DJ your full name & neighborhood, and announce to the entire freakin' island that you have a stand-alone solar system supplying you with more electricity & hot water than you can use. If HECO had gone down hard, by day three you would've needed machine-gun nests around your house.

I was stationed at FICPAC on Oahu back in 1973-74. They had a minor earthquake there at that time but I missed the whole thing...I was up in a helicopter at the time. I had to wait til I was in 29 Palms CA in 1979 to experience my first earthquake. Being from Pennsylvania and Ohio, I was more accustomed to hurricanes and tornadoes. Just can't get away from Mother Nature, I guess.

Whoa dude.

Just had a "Happy Thanksgiving" temblor roll under our foundation. It was only about 10 seconds, enough to hear that familiar roof-shaking sound, and then it was over. It didn't even shake my computer chair. It couldn't have been above 5.0 and there doesn't seem to be any media response yet.

Now I'm hoping that it really was an earthquake. We're not insured for land subsidence or lava-tube sinkholes. OTOH we're not insured for earthquakes either, but I don't want to find out that our ridge perimeter lot is about to become gulch property.

Our kid was in the shower and never noticed it. My spouse and I were immediately up and heading for her bathroom and then the exits. Spouse feels much better now that she's actually experienced a Hawaii quake (she never felt the last ones when she was driving down the highway).

Guess I'd better get that turkey in the oven before it's too late. And then I'll check the news again.

Still haven't bought a $%^&ing UPS...

EDIT: OK, I'm not losing my mind after all.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Nov/23/br/br2651843790.html/?print=on

Hey Nords what going on over there:confused: Was that an after shock or another quake....hope all is well and you enjoyed your Turkey..

Kathyet

kathyet said:
Hey Nords what going on over there:confused: Was that an after shock or another quake....hope all is well and you enjoyed your Turkey..
Yep, it was a real quake in the same place as the October one.

The October one shook our house east-west-- no damage. The Thanksgiving one was much shorter & milder but it shook our house north-south-- and the kitchen ceiling has separated at a wallboard joint. Luckily it's on a short part between the wall and a cabinet. Kailua-Kona on the Big Island lost power for 90 minutes on turkey day so I'm not complaining.

The Big Island just had another small one-- this time off the north coast instead of near K-K. Thanksgiving went fine but I think we're all getting a little jumpy!

Kilauea has been churning out the lava for over 20 years and has created hundreds of acres of new land. I guess the earthquakes are just part of the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom