Join Early Retirement Today

Surprise Laptop for Daughter
Old 12-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Surprise Laptop for Daughter

DD is a junior at college, and her old Dell Inspiron 1150 is having some problems (flaky charger connecter, DVD drive not working, slow from three years of accumulated software gunk).

I'm planning to surprise her with a new Dell Vostro 1000 that only costs $479. Didn't find anything as cheap in the dell outlet site.

Anyone see any pitfalls here? I know it's about the cheapest computer they sell, but it's a big step up from what she has (including bigger screen). She's not a gamer, and I don't think there's any apps she uses that would be too slow on this system.

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VostroDellCart.jpg (97.5 KB, 16 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DD had a Dell the first two years at college, then she changed majors. She found that most of her design classes used Macs so when the Dell died, she got a MacBook and loves it.
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:40 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

The Simpron processor is a huge dud. It wakes up in the morning and hopes to one day be a 1997 Celeron. Power use is lousy and the performance stinks.

Highly recommend you spend a few dollars extra and get a dual processor machine. Dual CPU's make a big difference. Even the wimpy pentium duo-core is pretty good.

I'd recommend coughing up $100 more for something that'll still be lively 3 years from now. And I recommend getting XP vs Vista if you have a choice. I couldnt be any less happy with Vista and the next major hiccup I get I'm going to do a fresh XP install on my laptop.

If you want to look at other options besides being a cheap bahstad, I'll look around and find something for you thats in a similar price area but had better specs.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Al, I bought a similarly configured Vostro 1000 from the Dell outlet a couple of months ago. About the only difference is I got XP and the AMD dual-core processor...mostly just to aggravate CFB. I've been very happy with it.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #5

I purchased a mid-range Vostro for my freshman this summer. Besides the price, I liked the fact that it came without all the junkware.

Bought her Office, anti-virus software and some peripherals at discounted prices through the school. I already had a file transfer application from when I last bought a desktop, so there was no trouble transferring her all-important i-tunes files.

It's been problem-free so far. She did need to recruit a (male) physics major to help her get hooked up to the dorm's wireless network, but I'm fairly certain that had nothing to do with the computer.

The one upgrade from the base configuration you might consider is bumping up to 2GB memory.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I got the AMD dual-core processor.
And then your wireless broadband stopped working right, eh?

Coincidence? I dont think so...

And those funny little bites on your legs? Not chiggers.

Is the 15" screen a must? Some nice bargains on the vostro 1400. The Latitude D520 (square screen) also has a few deals. Thing is, you get something nicer now, you'll get a year or two more use out of it and/or higher resale at the other end. Nobody's gonna give you a peanut for a sempron machine.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't have a recommendation on a computer. I just bought a cheap-o Acer at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago. The main thing I wanted was the 1 GB RAM - but it came with Vista

I'm getting used to the Vista (Home, Basic) but one of the things that drove me nuts is the lack of an "up" button to take you one directory higher than the one you are working in. Maybe some of you guys have figured it out already, but there is an "up" directory command: alt+up button (as in the up, down, left, right button).
Twinkle Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #8

I'm writing this on a Vostro 1000 with AMD dual-core. I like it. It's even better than the first computer I worked on (an IBM 360-50).
Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Administrator

See if you can do a little sleuthing on how much she wants a larger screen. Does she pack it around? Maybe smaller would be better - more portable. I second the advice about staying away from vista. It doesn't support a lot of older hardware (printers, scanners, etc) and is a security nightmare has other issues.

I was on the Lenovo site a couple of days ago and was amused to see that they have instructions for "downgrading", wiping vista off their machines and installing XP.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 AM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Might opt for a 6 or 9 cell battery, depending on her use. Also, Vista runs painfully slow with 1 meg RAM. Don't upgrade from Dell, go to Newegg and buy the Patriot RAM at half the cost. I did this on my wifes Volstra, easy to install also.
bayfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

OK, great advice. Went to Dual-core AMD, XP and a 6-cell battery. I'll think about it some more, but probably go with this. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VostroDellCart.jpg (104.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 12-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Now up to $681 with shipping, etc. I was pretty sure shipping was free yesterday, maybe they'll give me free shipping if I call in the order.

This money-spending thing can be difficult.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Whatcha looking at now? Gee, yeah, Dell almost always has free shipping...

Did you sign up for Fatcash at Fatwallet and use their sponsor link to get an extra 1.5-3% off? Signing up for a Dell Preferred Account (DPA) credit card can also get you a lump of money back on the deal.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:32 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

See this one from Dell Small Business?

The Dell Online Store: Build Your System

Good CPU, plenty of ram, plenty of disk, nice graphics chip, windows XP, $629 with free shipping...? You could sell this in 2-3 years for $250-350 if its in good condition. Martha bought one of these recently. Built like a brick. Kinda heavy though for what it is.

Check out the office supply stores (staples, officemax, office depot) circulars online and see if they've got anything on closeout. I got 2 of my last 3 laptops that way...
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

I bought my last laptop through a close out from OfficeMax and I got a great deal on it. I only paid $500 for a brand new Dell.
layla17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, CFB, you da man! Went through fatwallet.com, got a significantly better system, and saved $85.

Placed the order a few minutes ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VostroDellCart3.jpg (114.0 KB, 9 views)
Old 12-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, we bought the Vostro 1500 on CFB's recommendation. It seems to be a good solid machine. It isn't light weight, but it is speedy enough and the screen is nice and big.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:19 AM   #18

Looking for a cheap laptop myself, but would far prefer to buy a machine that offers the "eraser-head" mouse in the middle of the keyboard. Only Lenovo machines seem to still feature it. If not, anyone have a suggestion for a decent quality laptop at less than $500? I have one for work, so it wouldn't get much use except around the house and in coffee shops.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:04 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
And I recommend getting XP vs Vista if you have a choice. I couldnt be any less happy with Vista and the next major hiccup I get I'm going to do a fresh XP install on my laptop.
I agree with you on XP vs. Vista, but I'm pretty sure all the major manufacturers have rolled to Vista for their new machines so I think T-Al's stuck unless he wants to install an old copy of XP he might have lying around.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Looking for a cheap laptop myself, but would far prefer to buy a machine that offers the "eraser-head" mouse in the middle of the keyboard. .

My Toshiba laptop has one of those...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote