Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Surveys and Pop-up Ads
Old 11-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Surveys and Pop-up Ads

Just venting...

They're driving me crazy... cover up the article, and many don't even have a "close" button. Some videos have preview ads that last more than one minute.
Ad blockers don't work, and even Hostman, my most effective ad block doesn't stop them.
My favorite websites used to have more passive ads, but now come up with overlays and all kinds of nonsense automatic start ups.
I must be the oddball out, because I've never bought or followed up on offers.

Yeah... I know I can't stop this stuff but at the same time, wonder if the people who do the advertising are getting a good bang for their buck.

Does anyone know how the advertising works?... Like, does the advertiser pay for the number of clicks on the initial ad?... or maybe when the "clicker" goes to the website... or maybe based on the time that the "clicker" spends on the website? Or is it just loosey goosey... pay for the exposure?

Is there a website that tells just how internet advertising works?

What about the future of Facebook or Twitter or any other social networking websites. Are the revenues based solely on the income from advertising, and if so, will the on-line world continue to support this much advertising?
Won't there be a point of diminishing returns?

Sometimes I feel like I live in a different universe. So much acceptance of this use of time, and hardly any complaints.

Am I alone?
(end of rant)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I don't disagree. I dislike the 30 second adds before videos the most.

Unfortunately, that's the way the revenue model seems to work.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

No, you are not alone. I cannot stand animated ads and popup. I have Firefox locked down with Adblock Plus and NoScript. These tools are very effective at letting only the content you want through. Sometimes NoScript is a little too aggressive at blocking content but you can adjust what comes through on a site by site basis.
flotsamandjetsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I know, I really hate paying for something and then having to look at an ad. Oh, wait, I haven't paid for Internet content since AOL. Guess the websites we go to figured out they ought to pay their employees and raise money like tv neworks do, by making us sit through a commercial. The advertisers may not make much directly off them, but they know exactly how many people were confronted by them.

I have to say I am surprised any of the video ads let us close them. Enjoy that while you can.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I use Chrome with the "Adblock" extension, and it blocks most ads. Also, you can set plugins to "click to play", meaning they won't autoplay under:
Chrome -> settings -> Privacy -> content settings... -> plugins -> Click to play

Also in the same area make sure you set popups to "do not allow any popups".
tfudtuckerpucker is online now   Reply With Quote